You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Toulon Tournament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:46pm
Me mates son used to pal with him in Dublin nearly sure it was Jan 2014 when Okoflex moved to London.
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:47pm
It's a good squad.  Great to see Stephen Mallon get picked after taking the laudable decision going all the way to Oz to get first team football. 

Would like to have seen fellow Belfast man, Bobby Burns, in the squad.  Possibly interesting is that he's not been picked in the NI senior squad despite being a regular for Hearts now and not injured, see: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/you-never-know-hearts-bobby-burns-out-to-fulfil-scottish-cup-dream-against-celtic-38131629.html

It would have been good to approach him for Toulon.  Similarly Okoflex - a good way to get these lads involved.  I presume Parrott is omitted due to injury? Hopefully have him back for the U19s in the European Championship in July so. 

Other notable omissions are Ryan Nolan and Nathan Collins.  Collins will be in the U19s, but was hoping to see Nolan step up.

Looking forward to this now - Connor Ronan was outstanding in the last game - looking forward to seeing him link up with Idah and Connolly up front. 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Me mates son used to pal with him in Dublin nearly sure it was Jan 2014 when Okoflex moved to London.

Transfermarkt have it as 1 July 2013 that he registered with Arsenal.  His "residence" in England may have been a few months earlier.  This would also indicate he moved over in Summer 2013 (i.e.: before the school year started:  https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-tug-of-war-406280)

His transfer to Celtic was August 2018.  

If that's so, that's five years' school in England right there.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 21 May 2019 at 5:56pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:51pm

Possible he signed for Arsenal at the end of 2013 and moved over in January I'd say.

According to this article english-born Andrew Driver was not originally eligible to represent Scotland as he had only completed 4 years and 10 months education, this clause was rectified to allow Driver's post secondary school PLC style course to count. 

As he is only seventeen and was on the books of Arsenal, I think it's save to assume that Okoflex hasn't done any PLC courses!

If Okoflex moved to England in November of 2013 as suggested on that English forum, and moved to Scotland in September of 2018, then he has completed 4 years and 10/11 months of English education...

Edited by Maccatacca - 21 May 2019 at 6:09pm
delgado View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:25pm
Am I right in saying okoflex has only  played  for England in friendlies which he is entitled to do as he lived there at the time .I don't think he is entitle to play for them  in a competitive fixture as he is not spent sufficient time there.
I could be wrong  but I think England have played players with similar credentials as him also in friendlies .I suppose in the hope that  if they spend the 5 years in England they will be then eligible to play in competitive  fixtures. 
Certainly  okoflex not playing for us is  puzzle. 
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:34pm
Impressed with some of the quality in this side. Would've been nice to have Nolan and Johansson in there, who knows - maybe we'll take a savage squad to Armenia for the u19 finals?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Yeah hes never played a competitive game for them. I reckon thats true as I dont think he was there a full 5 years

I had a discussion with a few lads on here about his eligibility a good while back, no one seems to be able to nail down exactly Okoflex moved to England. 

He only turned 17 in March and has been at Celtic since September. 

Did he really move to Arsenal aged 11?

In my own opinion I reckon the Brits know he’s not eligible and are probably not too happy that he moved to Scotland meaning he can’t build up the five years. 

Residency rule can only apply after a player reaches 18, of which they then have to live there continuously for 5 years.

If he was to stay in Scotland from now until he 23, he'd be eligible for them.

So on what basis was he eligible for England then?

You don't need to be eligible to play at U-15/16 level for a country, theoretically you could select anyone you want, but obviously most countries stick to guys who are either eligible, or that they believe will soon be eligible (Okoflex fell into the latter bracket it would seem).
We're decent enough..
NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Would like to have seen fellow Belfast man, Bobby Burns, in the squad.  Possibly interesting is that he's not been picked in the NI senior squad despite being a regular for Hearts now and not injured, see: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/you-never-know-hearts-bobby-burns-out-to-fulfil-scottish-cup-dream-against-celtic-38131629.html

You seem utterly obsessed with Northern Ireland born players. I'll help you out with the Bobby Burns query, he has a cup final this weekend with Hearts, so isn't in this weeks training squad, he will more than likely be called up along with about 8 other missing players for next weeks training camp.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by NIGreenWall NIGreenWall wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

You seem utterly obsessed with Northern Ireland born players. I'll help you out with the Bobby Burns query, he has a cup final this weekend with Hearts, so isn't in this weeks training squad, he will more than likely be called up along with about 8 other missing players for next weeks training camp.

The lad's Irish, and he seems to be fairly handy at football, so I think he should at least be considered for our national team. 
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Yeah hes never played a competitive game for them. I reckon thats true as I dont think he was there a full 5 years

I had a discussion with a few lads on here about his eligibility a good while back, no one seems to be able to nail down exactly Okoflex moved to England. 

He only turned 17 in March and has been at Celtic since September. 

Did he really move to Arsenal aged 11?

In my own opinion I reckon the Brits know he’s not eligible and are probably not too happy that he moved to Scotland meaning he can’t build up the five years. 

Residency rule can only apply after a player reaches 18, of which they then have to live there continuously for 5 years.

If he was to stay in Scotland from now until he 23, he'd be eligible for them.

So on what basis was he eligible for England then?

You don't need to be eligible to play at U-15/16 level for a country, theoretically you could select anyone you want, but obviously most countries stick to guys who are either eligible, or that they believe will soon be eligible (Okoflex fell into the latter bracket it would seem).

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:49pm
I hadn't heard of Jack Taylor before. Did a bit of reading and it seems he's a tall attacking midfielder who came through Chelsea's academy and played in Barnet's 1-0 win over Sheffield United and 3-3 draw with Brentford this season.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:50pm
It's a really exciting squad. Another poster mentioned the potential linkup between Ronan and Connolly. Really excited by that too. Wonder if Jason Knight will be available for the under 19s July following this call up.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Dr. Pat Dr. Pat wrote:

It's a really exciting squad. Another poster mentioned the potential linkup between Ronan and Connolly. Really excited by that too. Wonder if Jason Knight will be available for the under 19s July following this call up.

I'm concerned about that too along with the other u19 players in this squad 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:42pm
5 of the U19 group included in this squad: O'Connor, Coventry, Knight, Idah & Connolly.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:49pm
Yes, and Connell and Parrott also eligible for u19.  Looking forward to seeing that team line out.

yuehouzhifeng View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuehouzhifeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:28am
爱尔兰进中国5个
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:43am
Originally posted by yuehouzhifeng yuehouzhifeng wrote:

爱尔兰进中国5个

I don’t think he is eligible for the Eire.

pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:46am
Originally posted by yuehouzhifeng yuehouzhifeng wrote:

爱尔兰进中国5个

有多少中国人参加这次比赛
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic