You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Irish music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

the fontaines DC were on soccer am last week , good band , terrible footballers 
Shame, I used to like them!

In their defence, they finished their song and were immediately asked if they were enjoying themselves and the lead singer responded with a curt “no” and left the presenter hanging.

Fair enough! I was only messing anyway, they are a quality band.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:02pm

As an aside, there was a rapper from New Ross (imagine that!) on This Week last week called Maverick Sabre, I don't know how big he is back there but he seems to be well respected in those circles over here ( I had a look). His music wouldn't be for me, but he has a face that I would walk a hundred miles to slap. He came across as a massive prick too, which didn't help him.

Hes been around with a few years now, I remember he had a couple of decent songs when he first broke through. Haven't heard of him in a while though
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

As an aside, there was a rapper from New Ross (imagine that!) on This Week last week called Maverick Sabre, I don't know how big he is back there but he seems to be well respected in those circles over here ( I had a look). His music wouldn't be for me, but he has a face that I would walk a hundred miles to slap. He came across as a massive prick too, which didn't help him.

Hes been around with a few years now, I remember he had a couple of decent songs when he first broke through. Haven't heard of him in a while though
I am not the biggest hip-hop fan anyway, I do like some of the classic stuff and love PE, who I wouldn't pigeon hole solely in hip-hop anyway, but I do struggle with white people rapping and even more with white Irish lads rapping. I find it all very cringey.  I know this is undoubtedly a form of positive stereotyping, but you have to a certain type of cool to rap. Imagine if Snoop Dogg was white? Imagine if he was from Drimnagh and sounded like Brian Kerr; that's how it all feels to me.
I know Eminem is talented and so are a lot of these other white and intrusive.guys who have done it, but I find it all a bit peculiar. I am sure people were thinking  similarly about Elvis and Gene Vincent when they started out though!
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:11am
If ya like Fontaine's DC, check out The Murder Capital aswell. Fontaine's first album is out Friday and I'd say it's gonna be brilliant. There's a great music scene in Ireland at the moment, outside of the usual crap like Picture This and Kodaline.

I find Nialler 9 a great source of new Irish music.

Edited by dundon13 - 06 Apr 2019 at 8:13am
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 2:57pm
El Puto Amo
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 9:55am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

There seems to be some decent relatively new acts around at the moment. 
The Fontaines DC - good upbeat indie group

Versatile - A couple of heads from Ringsend I think. The video for Ketamine is a bit cringey in places but fair play to them, the chung fellits and chung wans love them. 

Kneecap - Surprisingly good Irish hip hop group from the North. 

The Vulpynes - rocker girl group

I saw Blindboy from the Rubberbandits post about a band called The Scratch yesterday so I watched the video for their main tune (The Punisher) and it was brutal. Really annoying.

What am I missing?   

Mate of mine recommended them to me yesterday. Actually thought some of their stuff was decent enough tbh.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 12:41pm
Someone's Child - Jungle

Very good tune
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 12:38pm
Fangclub playing here on Sunday night
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Very good live act, would recommend people check them out if they have the chance
ACTHUNG BABY View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACTHUNG BABY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:47pm
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 11:04pm

Very good live act, would recommend people check them out if they have the chance
Seeing them just before xmas. Wasnt in on time in slane to see them this year before Metallica....New valley wolves are a decent Irish band I spotted recently.  A bit of royal blood about them
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:14am

Seen em a few times, very good live act and the album that came out this was excellent. Saw Thumper a couple of weeks ago and thought they there great and I'm also been listening Bitch Falcon alot lately. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:19am
What’s with the dreadful band names?
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:21am
Couldn't give a fook what name they use as long as I enjoy the music.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:25am
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

Ah I know, and plenty good band have had sh*te names, but it is getting a bit stupid. It isn’t just in Ireland either. I went to see a band called ‘Snapped Ankles’ the other week. They were excellent, but what a stupid f**king name.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 11:28am
I have no musical ability so the likelihood of me making a career in the industry is probably only 50/50 (I'm factoring in all the other talentless fooks who were never held back by the fact that they are sh*te). 
So I'm prepared to sell off my band name to the highest bidder. This is a blind auction where I'll showcase the product once the favored bid has been secured. You have until 4pm to get your offers in. I'll then reveal the name via PM. It's a belter so contact your financial adviser/ pay day lender and liquidate whatever assets you have. 
El Puto Amo
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 2:36pm

Ah I know, and plenty good band have had sh*te names, but it is getting a bit stupid. It isn’t just in Ireland either. I went to see a band called ‘Snapped Ankles’ the other week. They were excellent, but what a stupid f**king name.

Gave Snapped Ankles a listen there, they are pretty good even though that is a pretty ridiculous name.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 4:35pm

Gave Snapped Ankles a listen there, they are pretty good even though that is a pretty ridiculous name.
I only came across them by accident! Stopped in a pub on the way home nd they were playing and lad I knew at the bar said I would like them. 

Just Mustard are a decent Irish band, another sh*t name.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic