Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denmark vs Ireland 07/06/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Keogh Stevens
       Whelan McCarthy
Robinson Hourihane O'Dowda
                 Long

He's not going to drop McGoldrick for Long ffs 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
we badly need to get O Dowda in at left mid ahead of McClean. He would have had the game of his life against Georgia if he was fit, McClean got so much ball in good positions last night but he just isn't good enough to beat a defender or put in good cross. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 11:49am
McGoldrick deserves to keep his place. He runs around as much as Long and there’s an outside chance he might score.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

McGoldrick deserves to keep his place. He
runs around as much as Long and there’s an outside chance he might score.

I think McCarthy will consider it to be McGoldricks place to lose and rightly so. He was brilliant on Tuesday, and a new type of striker for us. Almost a false 9. It was smart of McCarthy to push players alongside him so his playmaking qualities could be utilized. Very promizing to think that Robinson and O’Dowda are still potentially to come back and compete for those wide positions and add a bit more of a goalscoring threat.

Amazing how long we’ve been waiting for a good striking performance, we get one, and people think he should be replaced. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:44pm
McClean and S.Long would be potentially game changing subs to bring on around the 65th minute if things are going pear shaped.Probably the best use of both of them.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 1:00pm
McGoldrick dropping into the number ten posistion and releasing O’Dowda and Robinson down the flanks is without doubt our best chance of scoring goals away to the big teams in this group. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 2:05pm
If McCarthy goes with just Whelan in deep midfield, with Hendrick and Hourihane ahead of him, we will get eaten alive. We are nowhere near good enough defensively to have so many players on the pitch who contribute little defensively or simply can't read the game defensively. 

That 5 man midfield should be ripped to shreds for the Danish game imo. Whelan plus 1 of Hourihane or Hendrick would be the most I would keep.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 3:14pm
I'd be surprised if McClean lost his place. It looks like he's forming a good partnership with Stevens. His defensive work rate is immense, while his pace will be useful on the counter-attack.

The right-wing postion is not settled yet. I could see Shane Long being used there. Similar to McClean, his work rate is impressive and he has the kind of pace that is suited for counter-attacks.

So it'll be a 4-5-1, with McGoldrick upfront with McClean and, possibly, Long bombing forward to support him.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

I'd be surprised if McClean lost his place. It looks like he's forming a good partnership with Stevens. His defensive work rate is immense, while his pace will be useful on the counter-attack.

The right-wing postion is not settled yet. I could see Shane Long being used there. Similar to McClean, his work rate is impressive and he has the kind of pace that is suited for counter-attacks.

So it'll be a 4-5-1, with McGoldrick upfront with McClean and, possibly, Long bombing forward to support him.

A frightening prospect.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

McClean and S.Long would be potentially game changing subs to bring on around the 65th minute to make things  go pear shaped.Probably the best use of both of them.
Fixed!!
Currychips View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Currychips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:19pm
we will see a slightly different set up from Mick away to Denmark with Hendrick being moved over to right mid with Arter sitting in alongside Whelan and McClean on the left. I'm not McCleans biggest fan and would prefer O'Dowda every time but I think Mick will stick with McClean in the big away games as he gets through alot of defensive work and hunts for the ball just isn't very good when he has it.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Currychips Currychips wrote:

we will see a slightly different set up from Mick away to Denmark with Hendrick being moved over to right mid with Arter sitting in alongside Whelan and McClean on the left. I'm not McCleans biggest fan and would prefer O'Dowda every time but I think Mick will stick with McClean in the big away games as he gets through alot of defensive work and hunts for the ball just isn't very good when he has it.

And Hourihane off McGoldrick then? We'll be murdered. We are going to have to magically find a serious defensive midfielder from somewhere in the next few months.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

And Hourihane off McGoldrick then? We'll be murdered. We are going to have to magically find a serious defensive midfielder from somewhere in the next few months.

We won’t be murdered. 

We’ve played these lads four times in two years and lost once - a freak final score. 

Yes they have better players than us, but we’ll make it hard for them and may well knick a decent result. 

They might beat us by a goal or two on a bad day at the office, but won’t be murdered. 

We weren’t murdered by them on three occasions under O’Neill, if a team with no structure or belief could get two 0-0s in the Nations League games, there’s little reason to think that this team can’t replicate that. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 1:34am
I would seriously worry for some Irish fans. The lack of realism in the above post is something else.

You say the 5-1 defeat was a freak result. I could say those other games that were draws were very much the freak results, and I'd have much more merit in saying that than yourself as the performances and every single stat going will show we could and should have lost every game comfortably (the possible exception being WC playoff 0-0 that was a proper stalemate iirc).

I can perfectly understand the enthusiasm after the win against Georgia. It was a good performance. And that bare no resemblance at all to the toxic performances of the 18 months odd that had gone before. In saying all that, it was Georgia. They are no world beaters and neither are we. 

If we go to Denmark with that midfield, we will come away embarrassed. People are getting way ahead of themselves more based on the darkness that has gone before, than our performance against Georgia. That was a level of performance that the Swiss and Danes will comfortably dispose of us, make no bones about that. Massive improvements, and plenty of personnel changes will be required to get anything out of the 4 games vs the Swiss and the Danes.
Currychips View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Currychips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

We won’t be murdered. 

We’ve played these lads four times in two years and lost once - a freak final score. 

Yes they have better players than us, but we’ll make it hard for them and may well knick a decent result. 

They might beat us by a goal or two on a bad day at the office, but won’t be murdered. 

We weren’t murdered by them on three occasions under O’Neill, if a team with no structure or belief could get two 0-0s in the Nations League games, there’s little reason to think that this team can’t replicate that. 

He'll still go with Hourihane in the advanced CM position and we definitely won't get murdered. Mick will have done his homework on the Danes and Arter is way more adept at CM defensive duties over both Hendrick & Hourihane and having himself and Whelan in there will limit the space Erikson and Co like to operate in. Arter can be very underrated and does the dirty work which goes alot of the time unseen. Can see us doing what we did to Austria away last time and get our own back on the Danes. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 1:53am

I would seriously worry for some Irish fans. The lack of realism in the above post is something else.

You say the 5-1 defeat was a freak result. I could say those other games that were draws were very much the freak results, and I'd have much more merit in saying that than yourself as the performances and every single stat going will show we could and should have lost every game comfortably (the possible exception being WC playoff 0-0 that was a proper stalemate iirc).

I can perfectly understand the enthusiasm after the win against Georgia. It was a good performance. And that bare no resemblance at all to the toxic performances of the 18 months odd that had gone before. In saying all that, it was Georgia. They are no world beaters and neither are we. 

If we go to Denmark with that midfield, we will come away embarrassed. People are getting way ahead of themselves more based on the darkness that has gone before, than our performance against Georgia. That was a level of performance that the Swiss and Danes will comfortably dispose of us, make no bones about that. Massive improvements, and plenty of personnel changes will be required to get anything out of the 4 games vs the Swiss and the Danes.

I’m not getting ahead of myself based on the Georgia performance. 

I’m basing my thoughts on the game on the fact that we’ve played Denmark four times, and lost once. 

I also said a freak scoreline, I didn’t say freak result. It was the right result but seeing as we drew 0-0 four days earlier, and have since drawn 0-0 twice with the same opposition, 5-1 is the outlier.

You’re also deliberately picking parts of my post that are easy to disagree with. I said there’s every chance we will lose by a goal or two, but recent form against this side suggests we have a chance of claiming a draw - I’m not saying we will, but we could. 

We all know you hate Mick McCarthy but just relax a bit, nothing I’ve said shows a lack of realism.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:16am
Just to clarify, I don't hate Mick McCarthy. I do think he's a very poor football manager at best. I don't try to hide my thoughts on him ever. I do hate the fact that he is the Irish manager again though, which is a totally different thing. No doubt in 6 odd months time, a lot will see this campaign as another one confined to the gutter as we made a managerial appointment based on sentiment and a PR spin job to keep John Delaney in tact.

For all that, I can recognise when we play well and when we play poorly. We were absolutely abysmal against Gibraltar. Some of the worst stuff I've seen us play. We played well against Georgia and the most refreshing thing was the intent of the side. The attitude was spot on, and for that McCarthy deserves huge credit.

It was Georgia at home though. The easiest of the 6 fixtures we effectively face in this group (nobody should be even looking at the Gibraltar results). For me, that standard of performance allied with that starting 11 against the Swiss and Danes home and away would do exceptionally well to get us 1 point if not 2 from those 4 fixtures. I wouldn't put us as even close to banker for winning away to Georgia based on what I've seen so far.

So my point stands and is very much based in reality. A midfield 5 named above with McGoldrick ahead of them might just about get the job done against Georgia at home, but it will be embarrassed away to Denmark. Whelan will not be able to cover the holes left by our other midfielders as he did against Georgia. That defense will give up countless chances (Georgia got a few while playing terribly) and McGoldrick will get nothing like the space he had the other night. Totally different level of opposition in the next game. 

Oh and I'm perfectly relaxed, thank you very much.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:34am
I agree with Hans. People got mistaken. The team tried and got lucky. In micks favor he didn't have a friendly to test. But I agree he is not a very good manager, a bit stubborn. He should have placed Judge in Gibraltar and arter vs Georgia to kill off the games
he can scout players though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
  Share Topic