You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whatever Happened to Soviet Soccer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whatever Happened to Soviet Soccer
    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:48pm
The USSR is gone nearly 30 years and we could reasonably have expected Russia, The Ukraine and possibly Georgia to have emerged as good solid football nation's from the 15 former republics. However apart from the odd win over Scotland, they don't seem to be anywhere near the level, you would have expected. So what has happened.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:54pm
They enjoy misery too much to win and potentially enjoy themselves
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:58pm
They did pretty poorly in the Stalinist era, considering the strength of the Soviet league and the pick of players and coaches, not to mention how advanced they were in sports science.
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:00am
Both Denmark and Switzerland will batter Georgia in their respective home venues.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:05am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They did pretty poorly in the Stalinist era, considering the strength of the Soviet league and the pick of players and coaches, not to mention how advanced they were in sports science.
  Apparently the Greatest Russian Player during Stalinist Times fell foul of The. regime and ended up in a .gulag. Also The old Soviet League wasn't entirely Russian dominated with an Armenian side prominent in the 70s and of course Dynamos Kiev and Tlblisi.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:08am
Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Apparently the Greatest Russian Player during Stalinist Times fell foul of The. regime and ended up in a .gulag. Also The old Soviet League wasn't entirely Russian dominated with an Armenian side prominent in the 70s and of course Dynamos Kiev and Tlblisi.
Streltsov? I think there was a few fell foul of that!
Ukraine provided the bulk of the players of their best sides. Quite a few from others too, but therein lies the point. They were a disappointment when they were all unified, it is to be expected that are a disappointment now!

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:25am
Kind of like English Rugby before the 90s and my beloved Galway hurlers often to many lads to pick and to many pickers..
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:27am
According to Wilson, Comrade Berias daughter took a shine to the golden boy, a shine that was not reciprocated. Hence, his time being retrained...for what it's worth the best team i ever seen live was the Tbilisi team of 1979 that tore Liverpool apart in the European Cup.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 27 Mar 2019 at 12:28am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:42am
Ironically, some fomer Satellites have done a bit better, The Czech Republic and Bulgaria. Poland and Romania aren't as strong. East Germany hasn't held it's own within German football.                                                                      Though never under The USSR Dicktat, the new nation's emerging from The Old Yougoslavia have under performed except of course, Croatia and to a lesser extent, Slovenia.                                                                                     Albania seems to have come along nicely an surprisingly.                            Then again some of the old Eastern Block Countries had more of a focus on Ice hockey or basketball and athletics.n
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:48am

Ironically, some fomer Satellites have done a bit better, The Czech Republic and Bulgaria. Poland and Romania aren't as strong. East Germany hasn't held it's own within German football.                                                                      Though never under The USSR Dicktat, the new nation's emerging from The Old Yougoslavia have under performed except of course, Croatia and to a lesser extent, Slovenia.                                                                                     Albania seems to have come along nicely an surprisingly.                            Then again some of the old Eastern Block Countries had more of a focus on Ice hockey or basketball and athletics.n
Hungary was the best of all of them at international level..at club level i think that the USSR had the most victories in european  club competitions with 3 in the ECWC.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:39pm
not quite sure what dizzying heights you've expected but Russia have reached a Euro semi, World Cup quarters

Ukraine have reached World Cup quarters
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:44pm

Why is that ironic? I would also say that while Yugoslavia often  underachieved internationally, Croatia have overachieved and the others are, given the populations are, at worst, where they should be. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:54pm
So are we saying that if you split countries up, it must inevitably weaken them/their successors?

And if so, does the corollary apply, in that if you merge international teams, it is a sure-fire recipe for success?

Hmmm, I wonder where that will all lead next? Wink

Edited by Territorial - 27 Mar 2019 at 2:57pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:55pm
Souness sent Walter Smith (I think) to scout Red Star Belgrade when they drew them in the European Cup in 1990. Smith's less than detailed scouting report read - "We're fcuked".
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Souness sent Walter Smith (I think) to scout Red Star Belgrade when they drew them in the European Cup in 1990. Smith's less than detailed scouting report read - "We're fcuked".

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:34pm

Lovely story and all, but what’s it got to do with soviet football?
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:18pm
Yugoslavia was mentioned above.

Have you read “Behind the Curtain” ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:17pm

Yugoslavia was mentioned above.

Have you read “Behind the Curtain” ?
It is next on my list of football books. I read 'I Believe in Miracles' last weekend, it was very enjoyable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic