You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tennis Ball Protest - Good or Embarrassing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Poll Question: Tennis Ball Protest - Good or Embarrassing?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
129 [77.71%]
37 [22.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:11am
Before I thought it was a bad idea, but the public sentiment was fully in support of it, so it worked. Fair play
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:13am
As long as it doesnt end up in court
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

As long as it doesnt end up in court
We hold all the Aces. 
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:29am
Imagine the FAI created a hyperbole that will come back to bite them. Didn’t talk to one person that I knew before kick off carrying a tennis ball. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:29am
Was no harm in the end, we scored after it anyway. At least it keeps the media talking. Have had people with little to no interest in football asking about it even so good that it’s caused a stir. Hate this sh*te of just go and support the team and not to mention Delaney. Everyone sees the problems unless they are being pure ignorant to what’s happening. As if it bothered the players either Randolph was laughing at it at one stage.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:31am
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Imagine the FAI created a hyperbole that will come back to bite them. Didn’t talk to one person that I knew before kick off carrying a tennis ball. 

Thats because the ball boys had them

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:36am
Why do the opposition keep comparing us to Wimbledon?

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:39am
The Dublin Dons or The FAI ?

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
PaConnors View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaConnors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 1:22am
Lads, a bit of context - Croatian fans burned a swastika onto their pitch to try to humiliate their FA.

The tennis balls tonight were a non-violent, non-offensive way to convey dissatisfaction and I respect anyone who chose to participate. 

Anyone who thinks it was 'embarrassing' is of the Maude Flanders ilk.

Anyone who thinks it could have hampered our chances of winning doesn't understand football. 
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Before I thought it was a bad idea, but the public sentiment was fully in support of it, so it worked. Fair play

Would go along with this myself, thought it was a crazy time to do it before a great opportunity from the free kick. But then we scored from it so what the f**k do I know Embarrassed

Well done lads.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:21am
Pissed off at the time because it was right before a free kick. Turns out it couldn't have been better. Well done 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:02am
Everyone saying "do it elsewhere" but nobody suggesting where or when elsewhere should be. Football NIMBYism. It got attention. We scored from the subsequent free so the FAI can't say it disrupted the team, despite Duff's ridiculous straw man arguments to that effect. The fact the team did well doesnt mean the issue will go away. It will be done elsewhere. Job done. Protest achieved, despite literally years of FAI suppression of any dissent against the Dear Leader. Dont see why anyone would have a problem with it

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 27 Mar 2019 at 3:03am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Conor Messi View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Messi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:33am
Originally posted by PaConnors PaConnors wrote:

Lads, a bit of context - Croatian fans burned a swastika onto their pitch to try to humiliate their FA.

The tennis balls tonight were a non-violent, non-offensive way to convey dissatisfaction and I respect anyone who chose to participate. 

Anyone who thinks it was 'embarrassing' is of the Maude Flanders ilk.

Anyone who thinks it could have hampered our chances of winning doesn't understand football. 

I agree with the sentiments expressed by this pikey.Thumbs Up
We're a harmless bunch if that's what is classed as a disgrace now.
Also, Duff confirmed tonight what I've thought about him for a while.
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:16am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Pissed off at the time because it was right before a free kick. Turns out it couldn't have been better. Well done 

I was the same. Felt it should have been done when the Georgians had possession. At the time, I thought doing it while we had a great scoring opportunity was the height of stupidity. 

Then we scored, and I no longer cared. But seriously, if another one happens, apply a bit of common sense and do it while the opposition have the ball.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:44am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I was the same. Felt it should have been done when the Georgians had possession. At the time, I thought doing it while we had a great scoring opportunity was the height of stupidity. 

Then we scored, and I no longer cared. But seriously, if another one happens, apply a bit of common sense and do it while the opposition have the ball.

It most certainly shouldn’t be done when the ball is in play especially if the opposition are in possession - to suggest otherwise is asking for trouble 

I wouldn’t be a fan of repeating it 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:14am
No problem with it myself but I did find the timing weird considering where we were on the pitch. The best thing about it is that it keeps Delaney in the news for the next few days at least
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Struggling to see any stupidity of doing it before one of our own free kicks? It has the same effect on the game as lets say a player being down injured for a couple of minutes so can't see how it would affect our chances from the following free kick and I think the fact Hourihane scored nulls that argument. Now doing it while the ball is in-play, that would be the height of stupidity.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:12am
I just felt it was a similar situation to when a player is waiting ages to take a peno. The longer they have to wait, the less confident they can become, increasing the chances of missing it. As you said, he scored so it doesn't matter now. But I guarantee that if they had scored in the 4 minutes of added time at the end of the first half, which were due to this act, the feelings towards the timing of this protest would be a lot different this morning.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic