You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Georgia 26/03/19 match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

If we are playing 5 defenders, 2 being wing backs and 3 being centre backs, why don't we play people in their positions regularly for their clubs wherever we can?

Stevens should play as LWB. He plays pretty much most if not all of Sheffield Utd games this season as a LWB (sometimes as a LB) so he should definitely start, despite his so-so performance on Saturday (most players played badly let's be honest).

Doherty plays week in week out as right wing back. This season Coleman has been playing more as a traditional right back, and not a wing back as much as previous seasons where he excelled. For that reason (as much as I love Coleman) I would put Doherty in RWB and I would bench Coleman.

For the rest of the defence, Egan plays week in week out for Sheffield Utd at the centre of 3 centre backs. His link with Stevens makes him a starter for me seeing as it would be the same formation as they play regularly together.

Duffy usually plays as the right hand centre back, so put him in as the right of the 3 centre backs (and not put Coleman, as Coleman isn't a centre back.

The only position that needs slight shoe horning is the left side of the 3 centre backs, which would probably go with Keogh, who normally plays as the right hand centre back of a traditional back 4, much like Duffy.

So from that formation, we have 3 players (Stevens, Egan and Doherty) that play both that exact formation and exact position week in week out (2 of them even playing together), you have Duffy playing in his usual position on the pitch but with a slightly different formation, and you have Keogh playing slightly out of position with a slighly different formation.

Two wing backs playing as wing backs, and three centre backs playing as centre backs.
That's far too sensible. Big smile

agreed and while I usually wouldn't advocate playing players who have struggled for game time as I recall k long did pretty well when we previously tried a back 3 so could maybe go for him instead of Keogh as he has a bit more pace but seems like mick rates Keogh and I guess his experience is a differentiating factor
Sponsored Links

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:28pm
Usually get the bus to dublin for the game but gona drive this time, any ideas where in dublin to park overnight that's not 30 euro Dead cheers
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

We're the home team. We need to set up with a ball player in there somewhere. Only options are Judge and Jack Byrne. 

I have a feeling that McGoldrick might be somewhat undroppable for Mick. Maguire didn't do himself any favours yesterday, but I would prefer a some pace up front.

I think Judge would play the left with licence to roam.

Randolph

Coleman                  Duffy                        Keogh                  Stevens

Arter

Hendrick Hourihane

Doherty                                   Judge

McGoldrick       

I thought Maguire did well on Saturday. He was one of the only players that was able to hold the ball up. I'd start him tomorrow. 

I'd be very, very surprised if Mick plays Doherty and Coleman together on the same side. 

I'd play Doherty left back, but I expect he won't start. 

Randolph

Coleman
Duffy
Keogh
Doherty

Brady
Hendrick 
Arter
Hourihane
McClean

Maguire
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:18pm
Some good posts here so far. 

I do agree that we could try a 3-5-2. 
I also agree we could put Duffy up front to knock the balls down for Maguire. 
I also agree it's very unlikely Mick will drop Coleman. 

"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Shhickey View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shhickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:25pm
Re getting the bus: Drury street car park does an overnight rate of a tenner I think.  Give them a call to suss it out but should be grand
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Duffy up front LOLLOLLOL
Here we go again
LUFC View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:30pm
Wouldn't have McClean within an arses roar of the starting 11

My team for tomorrow 

Randolph
Coleman 
Duffy
Egan
Stevens
Arter
Hendrick
Houriane
Brady
Doherty 
McGoldrick (although poor Saturday we simply have no one else)

Bigger pitch tomorrow night should allow Doherty to get in behind, Hendrick and Houriane pushing on with Arter sitting. Going for a nervy 1-0 win and would take it now. 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Duffy up front LOLLOLLOL

I'm agreeing with these lads. It's last resort, but I'd do it. 

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I'd nearly put Duffy up front with Maguire at this stage.  They would be the new Quinn and Keane combo.

This would potentially sort a number of problems. Duffy wouldn't be in the position to just blast it up the pitch and Maguire might somehow become relevant. 
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:05pm
Duffy and Keogh up front. Our twin towers 
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:05pm
Watching Montenegro. Like Georgia, they're a decent team going forward, but you put them under a bit of pressure and they just crack.

These technically gifted third and fourth seeded teams really have a terrible achilles heel for defending.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:07pm

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:23pm
Is Duffy going to be fit?

Edited by bogball88 - 25 Mar 2019 at 9:23pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Is Duffy going to be fit?

He will need to be given his new role..Wink
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:42pm
The build up to this match is fooking dead. Obviously Delaney/FAI hogging limelight but the lack of buzz on social media is very evident. Even the players have gone silent. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 3:49am
We can't play 3-5-2 with Duffy in our defence, his lack of pace would be exposed horribly here, especially if he is playing on the right side of it. Also, your defenders need to be comfortable on the ball in this formation, which ours aren't, especially Duffy and Keogh.

If we didn't play that formation against Gibraltar, I highly doubt we'll try it against Georgia, as logically, we've missed our chance to practice it in a competitive game as opposed to training. Guaranteed 3-5-2 so LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

The build up to this match is fooking dead. Obviously Delaney/FAI hogging limelight but the lack of buzz on social media is very evident. Even the players have gone silent. 

The Mick McCarthy effect seems to have evaporated.

Maybe the fans are just realising after the showing in Gibraltar that the current players are just not good enough and it doesn't really matter who the manager is?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 6:38am
If we get anything less than 12 points from the Georgia and Gibraltar games we don’t deserve to qualify, simple as that. Yes Georgia are improving but they are 91st in the world rankings ffs - we should and I believe we have enough quality to beat them. Hopefully a good performance later - I’m going for a 2-0 win. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

If we get anything less than 12 points from the Georgia and Gibraltar games we don’t deserve to qualify, simple as that. Yes Georgia are improving but they are 91st in the world rankings ffs - we should and I believe we have enough quality to beat them. Hopefully a good performance later - I’m going for a 2-0 win. 

I'd settle for that scoreline all things considered.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
  Share Topic