FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

players' rating vs the Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: players' rating vs the Rock
    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

We should have gone with a totally new squad, bar a handful of players.

Would be interested to hear what you think that squad should be.......
Sponsored Links

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:57pm

We are in for a grim year. A much grimmer year than last year even I'm.

Jesus Christ, man, will you wait until Wednesday anyway? 🙄🙄
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:21pm
I understand that McCarthys mindset is totally focussed on trying to qualify. It's a mindset that will leave us in a worse place again in 12 months time. 

The lack of foresight left right and centre in Irish football is scary though. Many thought that because Mick had us playing some great football in the '02 World Cup, we'd be a totally different team to the last 18 months under MON. We are a massive rebuild away from being near a competent football team. We are regressing game on game at a rate of knots for almost 2 years now and that will continue.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Were in a group with the swiss and thw danes. Not germany and spain. Will we qualify in the top 2 who knows only time will tell. Have we a chance. Fcuk ya course we do. This rubbish your spouting about calling up all these new players is laughable. The bunch we have selected along with the injured players are the best we have. Your away with the fairies man.
LOL
We have two hopes and Bob is dead. 

Hans, what I will say is that Mick was brought in with the goal of qualification and was always going to pick his strongest squad. I agree that this campaign should have been written off and try to really bring some  lads through, but that isn't what Mick has been told to do.
In any case, it may well be a year or two too soon for a lot of the young lads.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:13pm

Were in a group with the swiss and thw danes. Not germany and spain. Will we qualify in the top 2 who knows only time will tell. Have we a chance. Fcuk ya course we do. This rubbish your spouting about calling up all these new players is laughable. The bunch we have selected along with the injured players are the best we have. Your away with the fairies man.

Indeed. It won't be long until you realise we haven't any chance of qualifying from this group. It could even be 48 hours away before you are singing a totally different tune.

I see you didn't answer most of the questions I put to you either, which is quite telling as they're not exactly tough ones.

As I've said, the lack of foresight is scary. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:10pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:04pm

We should have gone with a totally new squad, bar a handful of players. We are not going to qualify from this group, no matter who was selected. We should have been loading it with younger players. We should have been doing that under a new manager since that Turkey game 12 months ago though. There's seems to be no realisation at all that we are going nowhere with a lot of the players currently at our disposal. It's scary the lack of foresight we as supporters show.

2018 was a write off. 2019 will also be a write off. If we had used the bones of 20 games in those 2 years to build, we could be in a very decent position come the playoffs in March 2020. Instead by the end of 2019, we won't even be at square one. We will have managed to fall even further behind and confidence in the entire setup will take longer to build up again under new management.

Hans whats the name of the planet you live on? Id like to visit it for a vacation some day. Come on man.

I'm not sure what you mean? 

Do you think we will qualify from this group?

Do you think we will be in a better place in 12 months time as a squad and team than we are now? 

Do you think we are in a better place as a squad and a team than we were this time 12 months ago?

The lack of foresight at times is scary tbh.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Why not give jack Byrne of shams a go?(cannot believe I’m saying that but f**k it).always had a big rep, mick was very impressed when he watched him,is he any poorer a choice than hendrick? Only one way to find out.

That should have been done in the Gibraltar game surely. Then Byrne would have a game under his belt going into the Georgia game. The midfield selected by McCarthy yesterday was absolutely baffling. If those 2 lads play in a 4 man midfield against better sides, we won't just not qualify. We will also be embarrassed in the majority of our group games.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:01pm

We should have gone with a totally new squad, bar a handful of players. We are not going to qualify from this group, no matter who was selected. We should have been loading it with younger players. We should have been doing that under a new manager since that Turkey game 12 months ago though. There's seems to be no realisation at all that we are going nowhere with a lot of the players currently at our disposal. It's scary the lack of foresight we as supporters show.

2018 was a write off. 2019 will also be a write off. If we had used the bones of 20 games in those 2 years to build, we could be in a very decent position come the playoffs in March 2020. Instead by the end of 2019, we won't even be at square one. We will have managed to fall even further behind and confidence in the entire setup will take longer to build up again under new management.

Hans whats the name of the planet you live on? Id like to visit it for a vacation some day. Come on man.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:53pm
Why not give jack Byrne of shams a go?(cannot believe I’m saying that but f**k it).always had a big rep, mick was very impressed when he watched him,is he any poorer a choice than hendrick? Only one way to find out.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:44pm

If we don't win Tuesday, I agree the campaign is already over and will only go from bad to worse. In those circumstances, there will of course then be a constant conversation of what exactly the point of having McCarthy there at all is. Amazing that we find ourselves in such a shambles of a setup already, with little light ahead imo.

I agree as well with what you and a couple of others have said about our midfield. Whelan now has to start. I cannot believe I'm saying that but he has to. He shouldn't be next or near our squad imo, as we should be looking to build a new younger squad, but we're now in a situation because of the 23 that McCarthy has selected that Whelan must start the Georgia game. Along with Arter also.

What other options is there in midfield?

McCarthy is injured.
Crowley is a number 10.
Hoolahan is retired.
Meyler is a League 1 sub.

Who else could McCarthy pick in the 23 to play instead of Glenn Whelan? 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:36pm
If we don't win Tuesday, I agree the campaign is already over and will only go from bad to worse. In those circumstances, there will of course then be a constant conversation of what exactly the point of having McCarthy there at all is. Amazing that we find ourselves in such a shambles of a setup already, with little light ahead imo.

I agree as well with what you and a couple of others have said about our midfield. Whelan now has to start. I cannot believe I'm saying that but he has to. He shouldn't be next or near our squad imo, as we should be looking to build a new younger squad, but we're now in a situation because of the 23 that McCarthy has selected that Whelan must start the Georgia game. Along with Arter also.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:29pm

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Are lads here actually suggesting that the likes of Switzerland and Denmark might drop points away to Gibraltar on that same pitch? I've seen Seamus Coleman mention something similar in an interview after the match. We are well and truly through the looking glass now people.

I certainly am not suggesting they will. However, what I am saying is that if we had to go there and play on that pitch they should too. What I would be seriously annoyed about is if UEFA decided the pitch wasn't up to standard and they had to move to Faro. 

There is literally zero chance of Switzerland or Denmark dropping points to Gibraltar. It wouldn't matter if the games are played on that Astro pitch, on a grass pitch in Faro or on the actual Rock of Gibraltar itself.

The fact that Coleman and many on here are hoping that the Swiss and Danes have to play there, and that so many are using it as an excuse for one of the poorest Irish performances I've ever witnessed is something to behold. The majority of players and the management were simply appalling yesterday. To go on about the pitch, the wind etc. when we were playing against a bunch of amateurs and struggling to put 2 passes together as a team is comical to say the least. 

We are already clutching at straws under out new management. I'll ask again, as there were an awful lot in favour of McCarthy coming in, does anyone know what the actual game plan was yesterday? Was it to tell Shane Duffy to kick the ball away as long and as often as possible? 

Mick's input yesterday was really, really worrying. There was no logic to anything he done. It is too early to be pushing the panic button, but Tuesday is even bigger than it was already. I mean, if we draw on Tuesday the campaign will be over, sow what will be the point of him? Let him potter about and hope we get a playoff?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Genuinely astounded to see so many excuses being made for these Irish players. If we played yesterday with 8 players, leaving Duffy, Hendrick and McClean on the bench, there wouldn't have been much difference in our general play. We possibly would have been better as Duffy and Hendrick just kept kicking the ball away.

It cannot be underestimated how bad most of our players were yesterday. A 0/10 mark for Duffy and McClean is fair and also kind to them. Hendrick 1/10 for a lovely finish for the goal but an all round deplorable display is also fair.

All the while many are talking about how Doherty Coleman didn't work. A setup given 50 odd minutes to settle. What an absolute cod by McCarthy to hook Doherty and leave the likes of McClean on btw. I was of the opinion before this game that McCarthys tenure is going to be a disaster and pretty grim. I really didn't think that it would effectively be dying a death after 1 game against Gibraltar though. Wasn't Mick brought in to get us back playing some semblance of attacking football? What the game plan yesterday, puc fada competition was it?

If we'd played without Hendrick, we literally would have drawn the game LOL The man has once again provided a moment of quality to win us points, but apparently because he is who he is that counts for nothing...

The fact that you believe that if Hendrick wasn't on the pitch the score would have been 0-0, says it all really. What if we'd played with 10 instead of Hendrick, still 0-0. What if we replaced Hendrick and had 11 but a player who could actually get on the ball in midfield against a team of  part timers. Still 0-0. What if we replaced our whole 11, started a different 11 would the game still finish 0-0 without Hendricks goal?
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:17pm
I also don't think others will drop points there. 
Just highlighting the fact that is far from ideal conditions.

I'll wait until Tuesday to judge any of them
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Are lads here actually suggesting that the likes of Switzerland and Denmark might drop points away to Gibraltar on that same pitch? I've seen Seamus Coleman mention something similar in an interview after the match. We are well and truly through the looking glass now people.

I certainly am not suggesting they will. However, what I am saying is that if we had to go there and play on that pitch they should too. What I would be seriously annoyed about is if UEFA decided the pitch wasn't up to standard and they had to move to Faro. 

There is literally zero chance of Switzerland or Denmark dropping points to Gibraltar. It wouldn't matter if the games are played on that Astro pitch, on a grass pitch in Faro or on the actual Rock of Gibraltar itself.

The fact that Coleman and many on here are hoping that the Swiss and Danes have to play there, and that so many are using it as an excuse for one of the poorest Irish performances I've ever witnessed is something to behold. The majority of players and the management were simply appalling yesterday. To go on about the pitch, the wind etc. when we were playing against a bunch of amateurs and struggling to put 2 passes together as a team is comical to say the least. 

We are already clutching at straws under out new management. I'll ask again, as there were an awful lot in favour of McCarthy coming in, does anyone know what the actual game plan was yesterday? Was it to tell Shane Duffy to kick the ball away as long and as often as possible? 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:14pm

Genuinely astounded to see so many excuses being made for these Irish players. If we played yesterday with 8 players, leaving Duffy, Hendrick and McClean on the bench, there wouldn't have been much difference in our general play. We possibly would have been better as Duffy and Hendrick just kept kicking the ball away.

It cannot be underestimated how bad most of our players were yesterday. A 0/10 mark for Duffy and McClean is fair and also kind to them. Hendrick 1/10 for a lovely finish for the goal but an all round deplorable display is also fair.

All the while many are talking about how Doherty Coleman didn't work. A setup given 50 odd minutes to settle. What an absolute cod by McCarthy to hook Doherty and leave the likes of McClean on btw. I was of the opinion before this game that McCarthys tenure is going to be a disaster and pretty grim. I really didn't think that it would effectively be dying a death after 1 game against Gibraltar though. Wasn't Mick brought in to get us back playing some semblance of attacking football? What the game plan yesterday, puc fada competition was it?

If we'd played without Hendrick, we literally would have drawn the game LOL The man has once again provided a moment of quality to win us points, but apparently because he is who he is that counts for nothing...
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic