You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Group D fixtures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Worth saying we would probably have to beat Den or Switz at least once in order to qualify - four draws would hardly be enough for 2nd place.

Denmark winning tonight merely crystalises the point that we have to win one.

If we had won today two draws would have done the job.

Now we need to beat someone. 

For sure, but there was always the risk we could drop points to Georgia home or away. You can't just rely on drawing yourself to automatic qualification.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:00pm
What the hell! Did anybody watch the game today, we're back to not being able to string two passes together against supposedly weaker opponents.

Couple that with the Gibraltar games which were toxic and people are seriously contemplating a win vs the two stronger teams in league.

Trap, o'Neil and MM all have the same thing in common  - whelan, mcclean and no game plan.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

What the hell! Did anybody watch the game today, we're back to not being able to string two passes together against supposedly weaker opponents.

Couple that with the Gibraltar games which were toxic and people are seriously contemplating a win vs the two stronger teams in league.

Trap, o'Neil and MM all have the same thing in common  - whelan, mcclean and no game plan.

Ireland genuinely defy logic though. Wouldn't be surprised if we win one of next 2 games. We're a team never built for any real consistent success, just a series of sporadic "moments" that allow us to live another day.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

its not just a mentality of attacking football.. the players seem to be afraid to hold on to the ball and run with it or do something positive. The amount of times today,against Georgia the midfield got the ball and let it go as if it was on fire was ridiculous, it's as if glen Whelan is contagious. 
Mcclean is an engine..but not a footballing one.. 
The whole midfield were awful today! 
We should have had many balls flying Into the box, the keeper was useless..  even throw duffy up front!! Play to our strengths and their weaknesses?!?? No??

He is contagious. your midfielders  cant hide, if one hides in a 3 you cant put any stamp on a game. He has mastered the art of never appearing to make any mistakes while simultaneously making those around him look terrible, would you want the ball if there was definitely nobody to pass to and you are gonna get instantly closed down? I wouldn't on a desperate pitch in Georgia. Im really not even able to describe his role and whattype of holding mid he is.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:56pm
Mcclean is really poor and gives the ball away more than most players. He can't cross the ball, positional sense is horrific and should be dropped IF a better player can take his place. 

But for me, Glenn Whelan is an absolute joker, he simply can't man a midfield. Cant pass, doesn't want the ball let alone carry it forward. He drags everyone else in the team down.

A holding midfielder that can't tackle, has no pace, can't read the game. The guy just offers nothing 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:18pm
Tonight with both results,  I can't help but feel  it could be the final nail in our coffin. I like mick but by God some of his decisions  have been baffling,
Whelan shouldn't really be in the squad let alone the team, he has been a great servant and not his fault but bringing him back for me hasn't been justified and was a massive step backwards.
Hendrick in midfield constantly under performing and never taken off despite been terrible most days
Collins and browne I tell everyone now and ye can come back a tell me so if I wrong but they are not international standard and never will be
 the treatment of long Is completely unfair in my opinion
Jack byrne playing against Bulgaria and mick saying he be a good option to come on if we're looking for a goal,  turns around today and bring on browne
Mick squads have for me been the biggest problem,  picking and playing the likes of judge, curtis horgan etc.. and leaving long, clark, McCarthy and Brady off the panel completely,  crazy stuff really. 
Has his favourite and continues to play they no matter what
How did he look at mcclean, Hendrick, hourihane, collins and Whelan for so long today and not take any if they off
Today was shocking worst I  have ever seen and he waited 75 minutes before making a change.
The players of course are no blameless, premier league midfielders and they couldn't string to passes together today

killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:26pm
If we beat Denmark and Switzerland drop points against Georgia it will mean all three of us end up on fifteen points. It would probably knock us out as we were beaten by two tonight unless we beat Denmark by a couple. Either way will be hoping the Swiss beat Georgia 
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 8:14am
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

If we beat Denmark and Switzerland drop points against Georgia it will mean all three of us end up on fifteen points. It would probably knock us out as we were beaten by two tonight unless we beat Denmark by a couple. Either way will be hoping the Swiss beat Georgia 

A draw in the Switzerland vs Georgia game would be a disaster. It would mean we would have to beat Denmark by 2 goals to qualify. It is very unlikely though so I won't even think about unless disaster actually strikes on Friday night.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

A draw in the Switzerland vs Georgia game would be a disaster. It would mean we would have to beat Denmark by 2 goals to qualify. It is very unlikely though so I won't even think about unless disaster actually strikes on Friday night.

Any two goal win, or a one goal win if it is 4-3 or higher scoring.

Neither are likely.

If it's level late in that game, we'll simply want *anyone* to score.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:55pm
Most realistic thing for us is hopefully Switzerland score early. Can't see Georgia winning but they're capable of getting a draw the longer it stays scoreless.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:08pm
Switzerland all over Georgia but Georgia did hit post 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:10pm
Georgia have just hit the post....I hope this doesn't turn into a nightmare game for us
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:14pm
Georgia don't look in the mood to go quietly into the night Unhappy

Hopefully the Swiss score before half time. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:16pm
I've said it once I'll say it again

Lichtinstéiner really is one unlikeable fck 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 15 Nov 2019 at 8:17pm
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:20pm
just switched it on -  first thing lichsteiner moaning to the ref and two mins later he’s rolling around on the ground- knee or face he’s not sure - hard to Hope they score with fellas like him playing for them  - best switch it off.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:21pm
this swiss game is nervy. Georgia might start tiring near the end and swiss will get a sneaky goal 

us winning by 1 monday night is hard enough imagine having to win by 2 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:26pm
A Georgia win is a great result for us though yeah? Means Denmark qualify tonight and any win on Monday takes us through?
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:38pm
No. Switzerland have a game in hand.. and its against Gilbraltor.
If we had beat Georgia away or drew vs swiss and not been beat, that scenario was available 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>
  Share Topic