Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Group D fixtures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 36>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 6:40am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

i also think coleman leg break did cost us qualifying

Can’t agree with this.

Not beating Wales when down to 10 men cost us.
And we really didn’t look like beating Austria / Serbia at home.
I wonder if missing our captain, and one of our best players, had anything to do with those results

Yes no doubt that one player would of had us beating Austria and Serbia at home playing a brand of football that was was exciting to watch.
We probably would have made the 1/4 finals of the World Cup too.

Anyway back to reality.
I just don’t see us beating Switzerland or Denmark home or away. We’ll get some good draws tho. 
The main aim is to build some confidence and team spirit ahead of the play offs which will be our likely route to the Euro’s.

Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:27am

Can’t agree with this.

I wonder if missing our captain, and one of our best players, had anything to do with those results

Yes no doubt that one player would of had us beating Austria and Serbia at home playing a brand of football that was was exciting to watch.

Anyway back to reality.
I just don’t see us beating Switzerland or Denmark home or away. We’ll get some good draws tho. 
The main aim is to build some confidence and team spirit ahead of the play offs which will be our likely route to the Euro’s.

Ah now come on . losing our captain at a crucial time of a game and campaign  to a horrific injury and you are saying that wouldn't have any psychological impact on the team?
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:05am

Can’t agree with this.

Anyway back to reality.

never said anything about beating them, or getting to the world cup, just said his absence had an impact on the results. Don't underestimate what seeing that injury did to the other players in the pitch against Wales either.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:16am
I doubt the players or managers would agree.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:27am

Umm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5533007/Martin-ONeill-thinks-Seamus-Coleman-injury-cost-World-Cup-place.html
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Umm

Touche 

Thumbs Up

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:37am

That would the table like so

Ireland 10 pts
Swiss 6 pts
Georgia 4 pts
Denmark 2 pts
Gibraltar 0 pts

The Danes obviously have 6 points guaranteed when they play The Rock but I'd be confident enough of ourselves picking up at least another 5 points which should be enough to be above the Danes

Denmark drawing at home to us and Georgia?

Ah come off it man.

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Mar 2019 at 10:38am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:45am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

The Swiss have been an incredibly consistent team over the last few years. The points they accumulated in the last World Cup qualifiers would ordinarily qualify a team automatically. I was surprised they got beaten by Sweden in the 2nd round and I think they could have gone a lot further at Euro 2016; they were a much better side than the Poles but lost on penalties.

I think the smart money would have to be on the Swiss and the Danes qualifying from our group.  

I still think the Swiss could be more vulnerable.

I saw the Swiss twice in Brazil, three times in France and both legs of the playoff v Northern Ireland.  They needed an awful refereeing decision to get past Northern Ireland.  I thought they were poor enough in France.  They were fortunate to beat Albania in Lens.  They were chasing the game v Poland and deserved penalties but were nothing special.  

They had a very impressive 2018 drawing with Brazil and hammering Belgium.  I suspect most neutrals will expect us to finish a distant 3rd.  It is tough to make an argument for us to finish ahead of either of them.  However the fixtures are not kind to the Swiss.  They will have two massive Nations League games in June and are surely dreaming of a first ever tournament win.  I think they could be the more vulnerable.

I believe Georgia will take points from at least one of the other three.  Hopefully not us.  The Swiss could be vulnerable in Tbilisi.  September is a good time to have them come to Dublin.  

We need a minimum of nine points by the end of June to be in serious contention.  I also think we need at least 11 by the end of September.     

Their performance in the second leg against the North reminded me of our game against the French in 2009. Not the controversial refereeing but an element of complacency in having got a 1-0 win away from home in the first leg. The Swiss were the much better team in Belfast but they took the foot off the peddle at home and the North could have equalised a number of times in that game. The chances the North created would you give you cause for hope but I think the performance in Switzerland should be taken in context.

Exactly and remember Switzerland had something to lose going into the second leg. The state of the pitch in Basel probably suited N.I. if anything given the Swiss are much the better football side. 

Switzerland will top the group and given what dire straits we were in the the nations league it is astounding how Denmark couldn't beat us in either game.  LOL We have a better chance of finishing ahead of Denmark. 

It's not really given how defensive we played in both games (especially in Aarhus) and Denmark in truth lacked any real appetite during that group stage. Beating Wales at home set them up to win the group more or less from the get-go. They seemed content to plod along and just keep the board ticking over points wise then.

Denmark are also more than capable of finishing ahead of Switzerland imo, we will finish 3rd at best.

I wouldn't give us a prayer of finishing above either of those sides.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

That would the table like so

Ireland 10 pts
Swiss 6 pts
Georgia 4 pts
Denmark 2 pts
Gibraltar 0 pts

The Danes obviously have 6 points guaranteed when they play The Rock but I'd be confident enough of ourselves picking up at least another 5 points which should be enough to be above the Danes

Denmark drawing at home to us and Georgia?

Ah come off it man.

Why not bar the debacle of that Playoff we had three 0-0's with them, yes I know we rode our luck but still got three draws from four games.

If you look back at their results over the last 2 qualifying campaigns they dropped points to similar teams of Georgia's level (i.e. Pot 4 even pot 5 teams)

Euro 2016 qualifiers
Drew 1-1 v Albania away
Drew 0-0 v Armenia Away
Drew 0-0 v Albania home

WC 2018
Lost 0-1 v Montenegro home

I'm not saying it will happen but judging from those results they struggle against those level teams
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:24am
http://ultra.zone/UEFA-EURO-2020-qualifying#group=d

For those that want to fantasise about us coming second.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:41am
double post

Edited by lassassinblanc - 13 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Tbh the following finish wouldn't surprise me (don't mind the goal difference part)

Pts MP W D L GF GA +/-
Switzerland 20 8 6 2 0 11 3 8
Republic of Ireland 14 8 3 5 0 14 6 8
Denmark 12 8 3 3 2 9 6 3
Georgia 8 8 2 2 4 8 10 -2

Edited by lassassinblanc - 13 Mar 2019 at 11:52am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:54am

Tbh the following finish wouldn't surprise me

Pts MP W D L GF GA +/-
Denmark 12 8 3 3 2 9 6 3
It would absolutely astound me! You think Denmark will only get six points from six games and that we will go the campaign unbeaten without a midfield or a forward?

jamie2905 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie2905 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:29pm
Best case scenario 

PtsMPWDLGFGA+/-
Switzerland18853018315
Republic of Ireland16851215510
Denmark15843115510
Georgia78215610-4

*The above is based on:
- Denmark and Switzerland drawing both games against each other
- Somehow pulling off a miracle in our final game and beating Denmark 1-0 to leapfrog them
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:45pm

Tbh the following finish wouldn't surprise me

Pts MP W D L GF GA +/-
Denmark 12 8 3 3 2 9 6 3
It would absolutely astound me! You think Denmark will only get six points from six games and that we will go the campaign unbeaten without a midfield or a forward?

Optimism - the doctrine or belief that everything is beautiful, including what is ugly.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:13pm

The most shocking thing about those fixtures is that wacky American backwards date format thing they do.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:21pm

Tbh the following finish wouldn't surprise me (don't mind the goal difference part)

Pts MP W D L GF GA +/-
Denmark 12 8 3 3 2 9 6 3

That table pretty much backs up my original point,

A lot of our fanbase simply cannot grasp how poor we actually are! It's like if anyone had the nerve to suggest that we will have a bad campaign or have some dreadful results they wouldn't be deemed as "real fans"

Your post smacks of just believing for the sake of it and not actually factoring in that we haven't shown any reasonable form over the past 2 years to suggest we could go unbeaten, out score Denmark over a campaign etc with arguably the weakest pool of players we've had for decades.

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Mar 2019 at 1:21pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Pts MP W D L GF GA +/-
Denmark 12 8 3 3 2 9 6 3

That table pretty much backs up my original point,

A lot of our fanbase simply cannot grasp how poor we actually are! It's like if anyone had the nerve to suggest that we will have a bad campaign or have some dreadful results they wouldn't be deemed as "real fans"

Your post smacks of just believing for the sake of it and not actually factoring in that we haven't shown any reasonable form over the past 2 years to suggest we could go unbeaten, out score Denmark over a campaign etc with arguably the weakest pool of players we've had for decades.

I'll point out I didn't actually in put the scores I just did the random button and that came out hence why I said ignore the goal difference.

I believe the only games we won were against Gibraltar home and away and Georgia at home which is highly believable.

I also think it's highly believable we could end up being stubborn bastards to play against and not lose to Denmark and Swiss in the campaign.

And it's highly believable given the evidence I provided of their last two campaigns that the Danes could drop points to the likes of Georgia and ourselves and be beaten by Swiss home and away.

I'm not saying it will happen I'm just saying it's possible

Edited by lassassinblanc - 13 Mar 2019 at 1:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 36>
  Share Topic