Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Group D fixtures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 36>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:43pm
I also think it's highly believable we could end up being stubborn bastards to play against and not lose to Denmark and Swiss in the campaign.

Absolutely no chance of that happening ffs LOL

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Mar 2019 at 1:43pm
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:45pm
I'll also point out I of course know we're sh*te and the above results probably won't pan out.

Though we have a history of up setting the apple cart

When the draw for 2002 WC qualifying was made no one gave us a hope (albeit I'll admit we had a much better squad) but Portugal and the Netherlands were much better then our crop

For 2016 we pick up 4 points from Germany when that draw was made no one gave us a chance it was all doom and gloom when we lost and drew with Scotland but we ending up qualifying (albeit with a much better squad).

My point is who knows what will happen I'm always optimistic when it comes to our results because I've witnessed so many great nights and results down the years

Edited by lassassinblanc - 13 Mar 2019 at 1:46pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'll also point out I of course know we're sh*te and the above results probably won't pan out.

We have a history ourselves of up setting the apple cart

When the draw for 2002 WC qualifying was made no one gave us a hope (albeit I'll admit we had a much better squad) but Portugal and the Netherlands were much better then our crop

For 2016 we pick up 4 points from Germany when that draw was made no one gave us a chance it was all doom and gloom when we lost and drew with Scotland but we ending up qualifying (albeit with a much better squad).

My point is who knows what will happen I'm always optimistic when it comes to our results because I've witnessed so many great nights and results down the years

There is nothing to be optimistic about with our current squad though.

We don't create enough chances, we've been playing not to lose (but not to win) etc 

In truth we'll probably finish 3rd but will pose no direct threat to breaking up the top 2.

This campaign should be all about blooding as many young players into the squad as we can.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

We don't create enough chances, we've been playing not to lose (but not to win) etc 

In truth we'll probably finish 3rd but will pose no direct threat to breaking up the top 2.

This campaign should be all about blooding as many young players into the squad as we can.

That was under different management though

Again I'm not saying Mick is going to come in and radically change things but we have to be optimistic he will or what is the point

We have young Doherty (as people call him) playing the best football of his career.

We have the potential to recruit a player who is scoring goals in Patrick Bamford.

In terms of creating chances I think the aforementioned Germany proves creating chances doesn't mean you will necessarily win a game, you only have to take one chance.

Wisconsin will be getting a great coach I must say if that is your general attitude

Edited by lassassinblanc - 13 Mar 2019 at 2:47pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:45pm

Again I'm not saying Mick is going to come in and radically change things but we have to be optimistic he will or what is the point

We have young Doherty (as people call him) playing the best football of his career.

We have the potential to recruit a player who is scoring goals in Patrick Bamford.

In terms of creating chances I think the aforementioned Germany proves creating chances doesn't mean you will necessarily win a game, you only have to take one chance.

Wisconsin will be getting a getting coach I must say if that is your general attitude

What is the point matters for nothing.
We are bang average with 2 far superior teams whom we hope will drops points to Georgia when it's far more likely we will and thus removing all hope of finishing in the top 2.

I feel our best hope is that over the next 12 months we get some granny rule players in Bamford begin one big hope and maybe 1 or 2 more 
And that a few  promising  young lads progress quicker than hoped and can have a real impact on the team.

And we get lucky enough to get to a playoff and with all the above being said we have an improved team and give the playoffs a bit of a realistic go.

But this is probably fantasy stuff as we really are average
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:12pm

Wisconsin will be getting a great coach I must say if that is your general attitude

Or we could just be realistic and know our place which is as a middle of the road European team nestled firmly as a 3rd seed nation.

Using the Germany game is a fine example (as a once off) but lets fast forward to the pitiful 12 goals scored in 10 matches in World Cup Qualifying and not scoring in 3 out of 4 Nations League games. 

What has my coaching ablility got to do with making a point on an internet forum Confused

How a person comes across on an internet forum could be completely different as to how they are in real life and bigger the fool you for using that as a way of getting a dig at me just because I've a different opinion to yours LOL
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:15pm
Yeah i'll admit that was uncalled for I apologise Thumbs Up
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:18pm

Accepted Heart

I just really have no confidence in the current crop, add in Grealish/Rice and a few additions like Bamford etc I'd definitely see the light but unfortunately we'll do well to remain competitive in this group (3rd would be acceptable) 

I'd much rather see McCarthy come and out say "we'll be firmly focused on bringing through young players" and just see them gain experience over results imo.

It's the only way we can improve going forward.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:20pm

Accepted Heart

I just really have no confidence in the current crop, add in Grealish/Rice and a few additions like Bamford etc I'd definitely see the light but unfortunately we'll do well to remain competitive in this group (3rd would be acceptable) 

I'd much rather see McCarthy come and out say "we'll be firmly focused on bringing through young players" and just see them gain experience over results imo.

He was brought in to try and qualify though, as unrealistic as that seems. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Accepted Heart

He was brought in to try and qualify though, as unrealistic as that seems. 

Which I think is madness personally!

Write off this campaign and rebuild to f**k!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:54pm
Denmark squad for Opening qualifiers

Kasper Schmeichel - Leicester
Jonas Lossl - Huddersfield
Fredik Ronnow - Frankfurt

Andrea Christensen- Chelsea
Henrik Dalsgaard - Brentford
Jens Stryger Larsen - Udinese
Joachim Andersen - Sampdoria
Jonas Knudsen - Ipswich
Zanka Jorgensen - Huddersfield
Peter Ankersen - F.C. Copenhagen
Simon Kjaer - Sevilla

Christian Eriksen - Tottenham
Lasse Schone - Ajax
Lukas Lerager - Genoa
Phillip Billing - Huddersfield
Pierre Emle Hojberg - Southampton
Thomas Delaney - Borussia Dortmund
Christian Gytkjaer - Lech Poznań

Kasper Dolberg - Ajax
Martin Braithwaite - CD Leganés
Nicolai Jorgensen - Feyenoord
Robert Skov - F.C. Copenhagen
Yussuf Poulsen - RB Leipzig

No update as of yet on Swiss, Gibraltar or Georgian squads

Edited by lassassinblanc - 14 Mar 2019 at 2:00pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:15pm

Denmark squad for Opening qualifiers

Kasper Schmeichel - Leicester
Jonas Lossl - Huddersfield
Fredik Ronnow - Frankfurt

Andrea Christensen- Chelsea
Henrik Dalsgaard - Brentford
Jens Stryger Larsen - Udinese
Joachim Andersen - Sampdoria
Jonas Knudsen - Ipswich
Zanka Jorgensen - Huddersfield
Peter Ankersen - F.C. Copenhagen
Simon Kjaer - Sevilla

Christian Eriksen - Tottenham
Lasse Schone - Ajax
Lukas Lerager - Genoa
Phillip Billing - Huddersfield
Pierre Emle Hojberg - Southampton
Thomas Delaney - Borussia Dortmund
Christian Gytkjaer - Lech Poznań

Kasper Dolberg - Ajax
Martin Braithwaite - CD Leganés
Nicolai Jorgensen - Feyenoord
Robert Skov - F.C. Copenhagen
Yussuf Poulsen - RB Leipzig

No update as of yet on Swiss, Gibraltar or Georgian squads

They're a bit light (Not as light as us) upfront but I suppose that doesn't matter if Eriksen shows up.

I feel the Swiss have more quality in their squad overall than the Danes.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:26pm
I think Eriksen covers up a lot of their squad issues alright though a lot of them would walk into our starting XI much less our squad
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:35pm
They've plenty of Champions League regulars while we have League 1 & 2 bus men Shocked
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:40pm
Poulsen seems to be having a very decent season at Diabetes FC. I can only imagine the excitement if we had a striker playing well at such a level.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Poulsen seems to be having a very decent season at Diabetes FC. I can only imagine the excitement if we had a striker playing well at such a level.

LOL
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:09pm
Aye, that Danish squad is strong with plenty of experience. Fingers crossed, they're all knackered by the end of the season when we play them above in Copenhagen... 
Touts Out!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
Sisto and Larsen both missing, they look a little light out wide.

Could do with an O’Dowda.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 36>
  Share Topic