Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Group D fixtures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:43am
Out of curiosity, have people looked at the players available to us?
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We're capable with the current squad to pick up 6 points in the next two games.

Then after that BAMBI GOL !!!! will lead us to glory
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

He is going to have to make his own chances!
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:06am
The Swiss have been an incredibly consistent team over the last few years. The points they accumulated in the last World Cup qualifiers would ordinarily qualify a team automatically. I was surprised they got beaten by Sweden in the 2nd round and I think they could have gone a lot further at Euro 2016; they were a much better side than the Poles but lost on penalties.
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:07am

I think O'Dowda will step up during this campaign for us and be our key player
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

The Swiss have been an incredibly consistent team over the last few years. The points they accumulated in the last World Cup qualifiers would ordinarily qualify a team automatically. I was surprised they got beaten by Sweden in the 2nd round and I think they could have gone a lot further at Euro 2016; they were a much better side than the Poles but lost on penalties.

If I remember that game correctly Fabianski had a great game that day
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:16am

If I remember that game correctly Fabianski had a great game that day

Yeah, especially in the second half.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:26am

I think O'Dowda will step up during this campaign for us and be our key player
Again, I think it will be very hard for him to make a mark without a midfield. That is the crux of the matter. We need at least one midfielder who is clever in possession, with the current mob, all we can really do is set-up the side to be hard to beat and nick a goal here and there. That is really just a more tactically coherent version of the plan under MON. 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:51am
Switzerland had a very easy qualifying group. It was literally just a battle between them and Portugal for top spot. Hungary finished 3rd in that group and were absolutely dreadful. Hungary even lost to Andorra away and still finished 3rd. The other two teams in the group were Latvia and the Faroe Islands. Denmark were basically unbeaten in 2018 and played both World Cup finalists in that tournament. In a weird way I could see Denmark being more likely to drop points to Georgia than Switzerland but I think they’ll get 4pts off the Swiss. Very hard to beat yet have a lot of good technical players. They seem to prefer to play against teams that come out and play football rather than defensive teams like Ireland.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Switzerland had a very easy qualifying group. It was literally just a battle between them and Portugal for top spot. Hungary finished 3rd in that group and were absolutely dreadful. Hungary even lost to Andorra away and still finished 3rd. The other two teams in the group were Latvia and the Faroe Islands. Denmark were basically unbeaten in 2018 and played both World Cup finalists in that tournament. In a weird way I could see Denmark being more likely to drop points to Georgia than Switzerland but I think they’ll get 4pts off the Swiss. Very hard to beat yet have a lot of good technical players. They seem to prefer to play against teams that come out and play football rather than defensive teams like Ireland.
They have an easier one this time!
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:12pm

Arguably they do since there is no team as good as Portugal in this group but Denmark, Ireland and Georgia are all potential banana skins which they did not have previously. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:23pm

I think the smart money would have to be on the Swiss and the Danes qualifying from our group.  

I still think the Swiss could be more vulnerable.

I saw the Swiss twice in Brazil, three times in France and both legs of the playoff v Northern Ireland.  They needed an awful refereeing decision to get past Northern Ireland.  I thought they were poor enough in France.  They were fortunate to beat Albania in Lens.  They were chasing the game v Poland and deserved penalties but were nothing special.  

They had a very impressive 2018 drawing with Brazil and hammering Belgium.  I suspect most neutrals will expect us to finish a distant 3rd.  It is tough to make an argument for us to finish ahead of either of them.  However the fixtures are not kind to the Swiss.  They will have two massive Nations League games in June and are surely dreaming of a first ever tournament win.  I think they could be the more vulnerable.

I believe Georgia will take points from at least one of the other three.  Hopefully not us.  The Swiss could be vulnerable in Tbilisi.  September is a good time to have them come to Dublin.  

We need a minimum of nine points by the end of June to be in serious contention.  I also think we need at least 11 by the end of September.     
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:29pm

Arguably they do since there is no team as good as Portugal in this group but Denmark, Ireland and Georgia are all potential banana skins which they did not have previously. 
If either of the top two don't qualify, not only should their managers be sacked, but they should never work in football again.
On the other hand, we should be considering a statue to Mick if he gets us in the top two . It would be the greatest achievement in the history of Irish football.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I think the smart money would have to be on the Swiss and the Danes qualifying from our group.  

I saw the Swiss twice in Brazil, three times in France and both legs of the playoff v Northern Ireland.  They needed an awful refereeing decision to get past Northern Ireland.  I thought they were poor enough in France.  They were fortunate to beat Albania in Lens.  They were chasing the game v Poland and deserved penalties but were nothing special.  

They had a very impressive 2018 drawing with Brazil and hammering Belgium.  I suspect most neutrals will expect us to finish a distant 3rd.  It is tough to make an argument for us to finish ahead of either of them.  However the fixtures are not kind to the Swiss.  They will have two massive Nations League games in June and are surely dreaming of a first ever tournament win.  I think they could be the more vulnerable.

I believe Georgia will take points from at least one of the other three.  Hopefully not us.  The Swiss could be vulnerable in Tbilisi.  September is a good time to have them come to Dublin.  

We need a minimum of nine points by the end of June to be in serious contention.  I also think we need at least 11 by the end of September.     

Their performance in the second leg against the North reminded me of our game against the French in 2009. Not the controversial refereeing but an element of complacency in having got a 1-0 win away from home in the first leg. The Swiss were the much better team in Belfast but they took the foot off the peddle at home and the North could have equalised a number of times in that game. The chances the North created would you give you cause for hope but I think the performance in Switzerland should be taken in context.

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Lads I will be happy if we can just play a bit of football. That to me would be massive progress. 
Would it?

Absolutely
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 8:40pm
We need one of the other teams to run away with the group, leaving 2nd place open for us, even without very good results.

Switzerland defeat Denmark twice, but we get a draw off of the Swiss. That leaves us with a point advantage over Denmark. We just need to ensure we beat them once, or don't lose to them in either game.

So something like this. 

Switzerland 2 - 1 Denmark

Denmark 2 - 0 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 1 Switzerland

Denmark 0 - 1 Switzerland

Switzerland 1 - 0 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 0 Denmark

This is how the group within the group looks

..........................P... W... D... L... Pts
Switzerland.......4...  3.... 1... 0....10
Ireland..............4...  1.... 1....2.... 4
Denmark...........4...  1.... 0....3.... 3

A win and a draw from 4 games gets us 2nd.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 8:54pm

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Their performance in the second leg against the North reminded me of our game against the French in 2009. Not the controversial refereeing but an element of complacency in having got a 1-0 win away from home in the first leg. The Swiss were the much better team in Belfast but they took the foot off the peddle at home and the North could have equalised a number of times in that game. The chances the North created would you give you cause for hope but I think the performance in Switzerland should be taken in context.

Exactly and remember Switzerland had something to lose going into the second leg. The state of the pitch in Basel probably suited N.I. if anything given the Swiss are much the better football side. 

Switzerland will top the group and given what dire straits we were in the the nations league it is astounding how Denmark couldn't beat us in either game.  LOL We have a better chance of finishing ahead of Denmark. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:01am
think people are underestimating what a well drilled, talented young side Switzerland are

the character they showed in coming back from 0-2 to beat Belgium 5-2 in a must win game is making me fear for us. We know what Denmark can do to us if they want to turn it on
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 36>
  Share Topic