You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Group D fixtures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other Group D fixtures
    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:12pm
With the euro 2020 qualifying campaign kicking off in less than two weeks I thought we might start looking at some of the other fixtures in this group that will obviously play a big role in determining if we qualify.

Georgia host Switzerland in Tbilisi on 23 March a few hours before we play Gibraltar away. A draw would be a great result but I can't see a clinical Swiss team dropping points here.

The Swiss then host Denmark in Basel on 26 March at the same time as our home game against Georgia. 

I think the Danes will fancy a draw in that game and the Swiss might be happy with a point on the back of a long journey from Georgia.

The ideal set of results would be for Switzerland to draw (or lose) in Georgia and then turn it around by beating Denmark at home.

I don't fancy our chances of beating Denmark or Switzerland in the four games against them but we might be able to knick four 0-0 / 1-1 draws. 

If one of them can take four points off the other then we could draw our way to second place so long as we get max points vs Georgia and Gibraltar.
Sponsored Links

daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

With the euro 2020 qualifying campaign kicking off in less than two weeks I thought we might start looking at some of the other fixtures in this group that will obviously play a big role in determining if we qualify.

Georgia host Switzerland in Tbilisi on 23 March a few hours before we play Gibraltar away. A draw would be a great result but I can't see a clinical Swiss team dropping points here.

The Swiss then host Denmark in Basel on 26 March at the same time as our home game against Georgia. 

I think the Danes will fancy a draw in that game and the Swiss might be happy with a point on the back of a long journey from Georgia.

The ideal set of results would be for Switzerland to draw (or lose) in Georgia and then turn it around by beating Denmark at home.

I don't fancy our chances of beating Denmark or Switzerland in the four games against them but we might be able to knick four 0-0 / 1-1 draws. 

dont think we be able to keep 4 clean sheets against the top 2 seeds .
If one of them can take four points off the other then we could draw our way to second place so long as we get max points vs Georgia and Gibraltar.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 7:09pm

Being realistic, we are more likely to drop points against Georgia than either Switzerland or Denmark. 

We will also have to beat either Switzerland or Denmark. As you correctly say, we can nick a draw off anyone on our day, but I can't see us beating anybody decent without a whole heap of luck.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 7:24pm
I don't think trying to nick four draws is Micks style. Expecting us to play with much more ambition,especially at home, than we have since 2007 under Trap and MON, but likely to fail against 2 better teams due to lack of quality.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Being realistic, we are more likely to drop points against Georgia than either Switzerland or Denmark. 

We will also have to beat either Switzerland or Denmark. As you correctly say, we can nick a draw off anyone on our day, but I can't see us beating anybody decent without a whole heap of luck.

Yeah I agree. 

Think there’s a chance we’ll draw at home to Georgia to be honest. 

Can’t see the Swiss dropping points to Georgia, there’s a slightly better chance that Denmark will but even that is unlikely. 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 10:33pm
I posted this in another thread a while back but I still stand by it and think it’s relevant. 

The absolute dream scenario for us after the opening 4 games would be for the Swiss to fail to win in their opening 2 games. Switzerland are away to Georgia and home to Denmark in the March international break so it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities! Now the reason I think this would be the dream scenario is because Switzerland will be playing in the UEFA Nations League Finals in June. That means we’ll have played 4 games after June and they’ll have only played 2 games. Our opening 4 games is Gibraltar (A), Georgia (H), Denmark (A) and Gibraltar (H). I think a realistic points return from those 4 games is anywhere between 9-12 points. Now for arguments sake let’s say Switzerland draw both games against Georgia and Denmark. That means Ireland could have anywhere between a 7-10 point lead going into the September international break. Our next game would be against Switzerland at home which means a win could potentially open up a 10-13 point lead. With 3 games to play you’d have to think we’d be 90% qualified. We can only dream!”
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:44am
I expect our games against Switzerland and Denmark to have shades of the Holland and Portugal games in qualifying for the 2002 WC. We took some battering (especially at home) but came away with results each time. Should really have beaten the Dutch away. A different time of course, with a very different set of players and two different challenges, but I'd take a re-run. Maybe even sneak a valiant-slash-flukey win in one of those games.

And hope one of the top seeds destroys the other. And the Georgians throw a cat among the Swiss or Danish pigeons somewhere along the way, far from where we're at.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 3:39am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Given our recent form against them, you could argue that it is a case of points gained from the Denmark games, rather than dropped.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:58am
Lads I will be happy if we can just play a bit of football. That to me would be massive progress. 
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 8:20am
It's a good thing that the qualifiers are played off quickly if we happen to get a bit of momentum (obviously the reverse applies if we get off to a bad start).. The long break from October 2016 to March 2017 really didn't help us when we were in an excellent position at the top of the World Cup qualifying group.
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 8:31am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

It's a good thing that the qualifiers are played off quickly if we happen to get a bit of momentum (obviously the reverse applies if we get off to a bad start).. The long break from October 2016 to March 2017 really didn't help us when we were in an excellent position at the top of the World Cup qualifying group.

Neither did Taylor breaking Coleman's leg, I firmly believe we would have won that group had that not happened.

But I agree having all the games played without extended breaks is a good thing if you have momentum
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:26am
why is everyone afraid of georgia... bloody hell lads , someone said we could drop points v georgia but not swiss or danes....what are you on..
i also think coleman leg break did cost us qualifying
Come on Irelind
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Lads I will be happy if we can just play a bit of football. That to me would be massive progress. 
Would it?
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:42am
The fixtures have been kind.  We have struggled to beat Georgia in our last three competitive games in Dublin.  However we have always managed the win.  The Swiss game and the travel will help us this month.  I believe Georgia will take points off at least one of the three teams in the mix.  Hopefully not us.  

Georgia did us a massive favour prior to our last away game v Gibraltar.  A win or a draw for them would be a huge boost when we play in Gib.  I'm undecided what result I want in Basel obviously not a Swiss win.  I think on balance a Danish win.  

With Denmark coming to Dublin on the last day the aim must be to keep us in the hunt until then with qualification in our own hands.  I don't consider needing the Swiss to drop points in Gib being in contention btw.  I'd take needing to beat Denmark now to qualify.  I'd bite your hand off for needing to beat an already qualified Danish side.  

I'm inclined to think we have a better chance of finishing ahead of the Swiss rather than the Danes.  
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

The fixtures have been kind.  We have struggled to beat Georgia in our last three competitive games in Dublin.  However we have always managed the win.  The Swiss game and the travel will help us this month.  I believe Georgia will take points off at least one of the three teams in the mix.  Hopefully not us.  

Georgia did us a massive favour prior to our last away game v Gibraltar.  A win or a draw for them would be a huge boost when we play in Gib.  I'm undecided what result I want in Basel obviously not a Swiss win.  I think on balance a Danish win.  

With Denmark coming to Dublin on the last day the aim must be to keep us in the hunt until then with qualification in our own hands.  I don't consider needing the Swiss to drop points in Gib being in contention btw.  I'd take needing to beat Denmark now to qualify.  I'd bite your hand off for needing to beat an already qualified Danish side.  

I'm inclined to think we have a better chance of finishing ahead of the Swiss rather than the Danes.  

Disagree. I think Switzerland are more consistent than Denmark. 

The Swiss are serial qualifiers and rarely drop unexpected points. 

The Danes are not quite as used to having things their own way and might come undone against ourselves or Georgia (if we’re very lucky). 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:02am
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

Can’t agree with this.

Not beating Wales when down to 10 men cost us.
And we really didn’t look like beating Austria / Serbia at home.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

Can’t agree with this.

Not beating Wales when down to 10 men cost us.
And we really didn’t look like beating Austria / Serbia at home.
I wonder if missing our captain, and one of our best players, had anything to do with those results

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 12 Mar 2019 at 10:08am
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:27am
Yeah I'd be more confident of the Danes dropping points to Georgia then the Swiss. I'd say the Swiss will most likely get close to full points in qualifying hopefully only dropping points to us away.

I think we'd be more hopping for the Danes to drop points to Georgia.

I'd be very happy with the following results in the opening few games

MD1
Georgia 0-2 Switzerland
Gibraltar 0- 5 Ireland

MD2
Ireland 1-0 Georgia
Switzerland 2-1 Denmark

MD3
Georgia 3-1 Gibraltar
Denmark 0-0 Ireland

MD4
Denmark 1-1 Georgia
Ireland 4-0 Gibraltar

That would the table like so

Ireland 10 pts
Swiss 6 pts
Georgia 4 pts
Denmark 2 pts
Gibraltar 0 pts

The Danes obviously have 6 points guaranteed when they play The Rock but I'd be confident enough of ourselves picking up at least another 5 points which should be enough to be above the Danes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
  Share Topic