You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Georgia - 26 March 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland v Georgia - 26 March 2019
    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:58pm
An uninspiring Irish squad for this match.  Bizarre that the FAI can't get Crowley's registration through on time with months' notice (or sort Bamford out), when the FA got Rice's through in a matter of days.   Personally, would have liked to see Coventry included, at least in the provisional squad - one of our better young prospects.

Georgia will be fired up for this one. They consider that they should have beaten us on a number of occasions now.  Their last match against us saw them having 74% possession; which summed up a lot of things about MON's Ireland. 

The good news is that their stand-out players, Jano Anandze and Okriashvilli, seem to be going through a difficult time at club level, having been loaned out and released from their clubs respectively, the latter following recurring injury issues.   They've a new promising play-maker, 19 year old, Chakvetadze, who could cause us problems; and most of their squad play with clubs at least the equivalent of Championship clubs in Ukraine, Germany, Sweden, MLS.  

Three points is a must for us, but expect them to cause us problems again.  
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:04pm
With a well drilled squad and a functional game plan, we’ll win this.

It won’t be pretty, but we were the architects of our own problems in 2017.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

An uninspiring Irish squad for this match.  Bizarre that the FAI can't get Crowley's registration through on time with months' notice (or sort Bamford out), when the FA got Rice's through in a matter of days.   Personally, would have liked to see Coventry included, at least in the provisional squad - one of our better young prospects.

Georgia will be fired up for this one. They consider that they should have beaten us on a number of occasions now.  Their last match against us saw them having 74% possession; which summed up a lot of things about MON's Ireland. 

The good news is that their stand-out players, Jano Anandze and Okriashvilli, seem to be going through a difficult time at club level, having been loaned out and released from their clubs respectively, the latter following recurring injury issues.   They've a new promising play-maker, 19 year old, Chakvetadze, who could cause us problems; and most of their squad play with clubs at least the equivalent of Championship clubs in Ukraine, Germany, Sweden, MLS.  

Three points is a must for us, but expect them to cause us problems again.  
The problem with Crowley is that Mick hasn't a fookin clue who he is. Sure he's not going to watch him til Ajax final in May! 

Rice application was fast tracked on the FAI end so that English FA will do the same for us when needed.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 6:28pm
Would we be as well off drawing or losing? It is the hope that kills ya, so early removal might be for the best.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Would we be as well off drawing or losing? It is the hope that kills ya, so early removal might be for the best.

get rid of Mick early?? Confused
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 6:58pm
Yeah, would have been nice to see someone like Coventry/Cullen/Ronan/Connell etc included instead of the likes of Whelan. Ditto for the likes of Ogbene ahead of Amond and so on.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

get rid of Mick early?? Confused
Early removal of hope. I don't think it matters who is in charge right now. I hope I am wrong.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Yeah, would have been nice to see someone like Coventry/Cullen/Ronan/Connell etc included instead of the likes of Whelan. Ditto for the likes of Ogbene ahead of Amond and so on.

Mick isnt building for the future and rightly so from his point of view. He's in for 1 campaign. Pragmatism will be the order of the day for him. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:14pm
There’ll be new names in the May training squad. Order of the day for the first two games is to get points on the board
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Mick isnt building for the future and rightly so from his point of view. He's in for 1 campaign. Pragmatism will be the order of the day for him. 

I'd say it's reasonably pragmatic to think the likes of Cullen and Connell will be more useful over the next 2 years than Whelan will. You could say that some of the selections veer towards being more myopic than pragmatic...
We're decent enough..
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:15pm
Whelan is getting a bit a raw deal here he is the best we have as defensive midfielder  ( and that says more about the rest more so than whelan)

He was our best midfielderror against the north and doing well for villa at the minute 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:32pm

Training camp in Portugal in May is the place to introduce these lads into the squad. Mick has picked a squad on form. Amond has achieved something in professional football compared to the likes of Ogbene who I cant ever see being good enough for International football. 

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 07 Mar 2019 at 8:41pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Training camp in Portugal in May is the place to introduce these lads into the squad. Mick has picked a squad on form. Amond has achieved something in professional football compared to the likes of Ogbene who I cant ever see being good enough for International football. 

Form hardly explains Whelan's inclusion, hasn't played much for Villa this season at all. Ogbene has actually made a few appearances off the bench for Brentford since returning there, and Cullen has been ever present for Charlton since getting back from injury. Not to mention Connell, who has been picked by Bolton whenever he was fit over the past 2 months or so.
We're decent enough..
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:47pm
Whelan was one of villa's best players last weekend, Couldn't think of a better player to bring off the bench to say protect a slender lead going into the last 15 minutes against Georgia. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:50pm

Whelan was one of villa's best players last weekend, Couldn't think of a better player to bring off the bench to say protect a slender lead going into the last 15 minutes against Georgia. 
Agreed 
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:58pm

Form hardly explains Whelan's inclusion, hasn't played much for Villa this season at all. Ogbene has actually made a few appearances off the bench for Brentford since returning there, and Cullen has been ever present for Charlton since getting back from injury. Not to mention Connell, who has been picked by Bolton whenever he was fit over the past 2 months or so.

Hasn’t played much for villa ???
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:00pm

Whelan has 26 appearances for Villa this season including 90 mins in the last 4 games. He was a bit part player at the start of the season and his forced his way into the team in the new year. Ogbene has a combined total of 4 mins for Brentford in the Championship this year. 

I would also like to see Cullen and Connell called in at some point but at the minute Whelan is the better option, he gets an awful grilling from our fans.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:04pm

Cullen is nothing special. Unfortunately, his inclusion in recent 21's is damning more than anything. If you're still playing under 21's at age 21, then it says a lot about where you're at.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic