You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U17s thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 37>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:51pm
jersey looks like something off wish
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:51pm
Job done. Will be a big ask to go any further, but making the last eight in Europe again at this age group is another great achievement for our underage teams.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:55pm
Wales beat Poland 3-0. I assume Poland rotated a bit?

It's a shame that we aren't a bit more solid at the back, as we could have nicked 1st with a better GD.

A less heavy defeat on the opening day was needed.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:56pm
For lads so young, they've shown serious character to qualify after the set back in the first game. It would have been easier let the heads drop.

They're still very raw but the potential is there. Qualifying for the WC would be am outrageous achievement 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

It's a shame that we aren't a bit more solid at the back, as we could have nicked 1st with a better GD.

Wouldn't have made a difference as tie beaker was done on head to head.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The defending again...

How the f*ck can you watch that team play and the only thing you keep parroting on about is the defending? Madness
We're decent enough..
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Hate when they do that. La Liga does it.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:05pm
So after all of that, the predictions of doom were premature. As it turns out, Poland are just an excellent side.
We're decent enough..
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:10pm
And without 2 lads who probably would of been starting these games had they been fit, Trent Doherty and Niall McAndrew.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

So after all of that, the predictions of doom were premature. As it turns out, Poland are just an excellent side.

I think it was more down to the formation vs Poland. 523 was nonsensical. The 4231 vs Wales & Hungary is much better for them.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:28pm

Hate when they do that. La Liga does it.

All UEFA competitions use it. Its by far the fairest method, especially in leagues when its a case of how much the tops teams can out spank the relegation fodder.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Job done. Will be a big ask to go any further, but making the last eight in Europe again at this age group is another great achievement for our underage teams.

Big time.  Shows the great work being done in the acadamies. Imagine what could be achieved with some investment  
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:04pm
With an underage, there is only so much you can expect realistically, most of the players won't go on to have full international caps. But you hope to see a a player or two with that something special. There are a few players in that team who look like they could go onto be very decent players. 

Some of the passing was very natural and not forced looking, like we have come to see even with our senior team until recently. And then we have a few players who are skillful and able to drop the shoulder and beat their man or also do so on the turn. 

Not perfect but as said, several of the team to be excited about, especially the two rovers lads Razi and Orazi. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 23 May 2023 at 10:06pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:37pm
Attacking players obviously getting most the plaudits but McGrath and Turley were just as impressive. 

McGrath in midfield was very good on the ball and always takes the right option with his passing. Positionally sound too.

Turley likewise a cheat code when it came to passing the ball out from defence. Ringing endorsement of our youth structure and work being done from the ground up. 

Edited by kevin100 - 23 May 2023 at 10:39pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 5:00am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Did I read somewhere that Ireland are the youngest team at the tournament ? Real chance of getting to WC now. Melia looks v good, that assist was unreal for someone so young, on a hatrick he could of easily took the shot on but plays a perfectly weighted pass in Kehir for the goal.

Ye we've more underage (players still eligible for the next tournament) than every other country involved.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:59am

"The four semi-finalists will earn places along with the winners of a play-off for Europe's fifth spot between the two beaten quarter-finals with the best record in the group stage (group position, then points, then goal difference, then goals scored, then if needed quarter-final goal difference, then quarter-final goals scored, then overall disciplinary ranking then qualifying round coefficient)"

This is how they decide the five teams that will qualify for the WC. So even with a better goal difference it might make no difference if group leaders loss their QFs.

On the plus side, we have a better record than the 2nd placed side in the other completed group, France who have qualified with 4 points, so ideally we want them beat in their QF for a start.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

"The four semi-finalists will earn places along with the winners of a play-off for Europe's fifth spot between the two beaten quarter-finals with the best record in the group stage (group position, then points, then goal difference, then goals scored, then if needed quarter-final goal difference, then quarter-final goals scored, then overall disciplinary ranking then qualifying round coefficient)"

This is how they decide the five teams that will qualify for the WC. So even with a better goal difference it might make no difference if group leaders loss their QFs.

On the plus side, we have a better record than the 2nd placed side in the other completed group, France who have qualified with 4 points, so ideally we want them beat in their QF for a start.

Looking at the games that will impact on us today, if the following occurs, we would be the 5th best placed of the 8 qualifiers.

1) England to beat the Swiss by 2 clear goals (or the Swiss to win by 3)
2) Spain to win/draw vs Serbia or to lose by a 1 goal margin in a low scoring game (2-3 at worst)
3) Italy to win/draw vs Slovenia or to lose by a 1 goal margin in a low scoring game (1-2 at worst)

Must have a very good chance of being at worst the 6th best placed of the 8 sides qualifying. Then we just have to hope that the 2 sides ranked below us (or 2 of the 3 ranked below us if we end up 5th best) both lose their QFs.

Let's just win our QF (likely vs Spain) and that will remove any doubt!
Idah Dream!
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 9:25am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Did I read somewhere that Ireland are the youngest team at the tournament ? Real chance of getting to WC now. Melia looks v good, that assist was unreal for someone so young, on a hatrick he could of easily took the shot on but plays a perfectly weighted pass in Kehir for the goal.

Ye we've more underage (players still eligible for the next tournament) than every other country involved.
Three of the five youngest players at the tournament are in our squad

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 37>
  Share Topic