You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U17s thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 37>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 9:50am
So the stat going around about us having more 15 year olds than all the other teams combined was completely made up, and we don't even have the outright highest number of 15 year olds in the squad - interesting!
Sponsored Links

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:46am
St Pats with some real prospects in that squad, I assume that’s Ger o Brien doing good work there still?
No Pasaran!
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:46am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

So the stat going around about us having more 15 year olds than all the other teams combined was completely made up, and we don't even have the outright highest number of 15 year olds in the squad - interesting!
This is the original post from futsalfinn - https://twitter.com/FutsalFinn/status/1658866580652974080
He's pretty good for this sort of thing so probably just a mistake on his part

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 24 May 2023 at 10:47am
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:08am
Maybe - it just feels like the youth aspect of the squad has been overstated a bit this week, while it's true that there are only eight 17 year olds, five of the 16 year olds turn 17 this year - which means this is also their last year at Under 17 level.

Of the players that have started any of the three games, only Melia, Harnett and Orazi will be eligible to play at this level again next year. So it's not really as young a team as has been made out.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 May 2023 at 11:09am
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:17am

Maybe - it just feels like the youth aspect of the squad has been overstated a bit this week, while it's true that there are only eight 17 year olds, five of the 16 year olds turn 17 this year - which means this is also their last year at Under 17 level.

Of the players that have started any of the three games, only Melia, Harnett and Orazi will be eligible to play at this level again next year. So it's not really as young a team as has been made out.

Apart from being the youngest team there they are not as young a team as has been made out.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:25am
Are they actually the youngest team though? As I said, only three of the starting team are eligible again next year. They may the youngest squad (as opposed to team) alright, but that's including a lot of lads who are either just getting a few minutes off the bench or not appearing at all.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:35am
Jaysis lads, who cares. It's a young team performing really well at a major tournament and people are nitpicking about how young they actually are. This place Wacko
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:48am

Are they actually the youngest team though? As I said, only three of the starting team are eligible again next year. They may the youngest squad (as opposed to team) alright, but that's including a lot of lads who are either just getting a few minutes off the bench or not appearing at all.

Apparently so. O'Brien is quoted as saying so here:

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Jaysis lads, who cares. It's a young team performing really well at a major tournament and people are nitpicking about how young they actually are. This place Wacko

Judging them on whether they are allowed drive a car or stuck on a moped a while longer seems rational to me.

Edited by sausy - 24 May 2023 at 11:55am
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Judging them on whether they are allowed drive a car or stuck on a moped a while longer seems rational to me.

Stuck where on a moped?
Not in city traffic, that's for sure!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

It’s the new he’s 28 until he’s 29.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 2:18pm
I see Algerians on Twitter are trying to claim Naj Razi as Algerian already.

Maybe he will opt to play for them one day, but not if he's treated well and progresses through the age groups.

I wouldn't mind... but Algeira are only decent because most of their best players are former French youth internationals who didn't quite make it with France. 

Mahrez was a late bloomer who would probably be playing for France had he moved to Leicester earlier.

Edited by Banana_RepublicFC - 24 May 2023 at 2:23pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Maybe he will opt to play for them one day, but not if he's treated well and progresses through the age groups.

I wouldn't mind... but Algeira are only decent because most of their best players are former French youth internationals who didn't quite make it with France. 

Mahrez was a late bloomer who would probably be playing for France had he moved to Leicester earlier.

Sounds awfully familiar

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Sounds awfully familiar

Like Ireland in the 80's. But even then, we had a lot of Irish born players.

Our best ever XI would largely be made up of Irish born players.

I'd go:

Keane-----Quinn

Sheedy-----Giles----Keane----L.Brady

Staunton----Dunne----McGrath----Cantwell

Bonner

johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 3:09pm
Just looking back on the last three times we were in this tournament:

2017 U17s (Quarter Final)
Already capped - O'Connor, Collins, Idah, Connolly

2018 U17s (Quarter Final)
Already capped - Knight, Parrott (plus Collins and Idah who also played in 2017)
Likely to be capped soon - Connell

2019 U17s (Group Stage)
Already capped - Bazunu, Omobamidele
Likely to be capped soon - Hodge, Ebosele

In addition to the above, there will likely be 1 or 2 late bloomers from each group who end up being capped. 

Would expect that each of these U17 teams (including 2023) will go onto produce around 5 full internationals on average. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Just looking back on the last three times we were in this tournament:

2017 U17s (Quarter Final)
Already capped - O'Connor, Collins, Idah, Connolly

2018 U17s (Quarter Final)
Already capped - Knight, Parrott (plus Collins and Idah who also played in 2017)
Likely to be capped soon - Connell

2019 U17s (Group Stage)
Already capped - Bazunu, Omobamidele
Likely to be capped soon - Hodge, Ebosele

In addition to the above, there will likely be 1 or 2 late bloomers from each group who end up being capped. 

Would expect that each of these U17 teams (including 2023) will go onto produce around 5 full internationals on average. 

So out of last 5 tournaments we have got to quarter finals in 3 and group stage in one and failing to qualify in 1. Great progress, and will eventually lead to a better Senior team.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 3:55pm
Banana Republic-McGrath was born in England, Sheedy in Wales. Good team there, admittedly.
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

St Pats with some real prospects in that squad, I assume that’s Ger o Brien doing good work there still?

Yep, and Melia has already made a senior appearance for Pats (3rd youngest LOI player in history I think)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 37>
  Share Topic