Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U17s thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The 2021 tournament will be for the 04 group. The 2022 tournament, which is what today's draw related to, is for the 05 group.
šŸ‘
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 2:40pm
Squad announced for two games v Mexico in Turner's Cross this Sunday and Tuesday:

Some interesting names here and I'd pay in to see Zefi for sure.

Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Squad announced for two games v Mexico in Turner's Cross this Sunday and Tuesday:

The Indo trying to stir it regarding Zefi potentially declaring for Albania, haven't heard from him, other than how proud he is to play for us

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/inter-milan-youngster-kevin-zefi-named-in-ireland-u-17-squad-for-friendly-double-header-40812104.html

Edited by Howdo - 02 Sep 2021 at 3:06pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm
Yeah, such nonsense.
Journos looking for a clickbait angle to draw in the Grealish/Rice PL supporters, and insult the intelligence of the rest of us.
The squad and upcoming games is the story so report on that FFS.

Anyway, seems we have three games in October against Poland, N. Macedonia and Andorra.
Dates and times to be finalised.  And how great would it be if the FAI broadcast them on YouTube and showed some interest...

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

600 tickets available for each match 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 4:51pm
Very interesting squad. Curtis and Heffernan at the back would be highly rated I think, as would Ferizaj in midfield. The real aces are up front I think, McLoughlin is with Villareal and Zefi with Inter Milan. Have I missed anyone else? Seems to be a good crop of prospects at U21 level and U19 level and defo seems to be a few here too.... Best of luck lads.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:07pm
Interesting that 3 of the 20 man squad are of Albanian parentage, I don't think I've ever even met an Albanian person in Ireland. Zefi obviously the star but Ferizaj meant to be rated very highly as well.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Interesting that 3 of the 20 man squad are of Albanian parentage, I don't think I've ever even met an Albanian person in Ireland. Zefi obviously the star but Ferizaj meant to be rated very highly as well.

Ferizaj and Zefi are cousins. He wont be long behind him moving to a big club. Himself and Curtis were on trial with Roma and Leverkusen over the summer there.

It is a bit mad theres 3 players of Albanian descent in the squad, along with so many players of African descent we've  had repent us through the various age groups but yet there been so few Polish, which is probably the biggest minority group in Ireland.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Ferizaj and Zefi are cousins. He wont be long behind him moving to a big club. Himself and Curtis were on trial with Roma and Leverkusen over the summer there.

It is a bit mad theres 3 players of Albanian descent in the squad, along with so many players of African descent we'veĀ  had repent us through the various age groups but yet there been so few Polish, which is probably the biggest minority group in Ireland.

Possible reason why so few Polish declare is that the parents tend to go back to Poland or elsewhere with the family after a few years in a lot of cases.

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:38pm
Poland for such a big country has never been a big exporter of top young talent so not hard to see why there's no conveyer belt for those living here.....odd thing is they always have pretty good players ...but they only seem to emerge as adults
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

It is a bit mad theres 3 players of Albanian descent in the squad, along with so many players of African descent we've  had repent us through the various age groups but yet there been so few Polish, which is probably the biggest minority group in Ireland.

Possible reason why so few Polish declare is that the parents tend to go back to Poland or elsewhere with the family after a few years in a lot of cases.

Very good point.

Also thinking about it again, the Polish community only began to move here post 2000 and only really began to grown probably post 2004 when they joined the EU so a lot of their children wouldn't be really old enough yet. We might see a couple begin to emerge in next few years as they reach u15/16s and u17s level.

Where as with the African community example I gave, they began to move here a couple years earlier in the mid 90s on wards,  didn't they?

As for the Albanians, Id be guessing but they possibly moved here during the Balkans wars of the 90s / early 2000s.

Edited by Bandwagon - 02 Sep 2021 at 6:53pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 6:58pm
Yeah looking at the most recent u15s and 16s squads there and we've

Olaf Boruc (Shamrock Rovers)
Hugo Gwiazdowski (Shamrock Rovers)
Patryck Swieczka Andrzejczak (Cork City)

Off the bat, so I suspect that is the case and we'll see more over the next few years.

Couple other Latvian and Lithuanian beginning to show up too.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Very interesting squad. Curtis and Heffernan at the back would be highly rated I think, as would Ferizaj in midfield. The real aces are up front I think, McLoughlin is with Villareal and Zefi with Inter Milan. Have I missed anyone else? Seems to be a good crop of prospects at U21 level and U19 level and defo seems to be a few here too.... Best of luck lads.
Rocco Vata, only 15 if Iā€™m correct and starts every game in the Celtic B team. Itā€™s obviously not the best of standard but heā€™s playing regularly against adults at that age it should stand to him.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm

So what you're saying is that we need to start scouting Polish youth teams for Irish born talent - not an avenue I'd have thought of before but we seem to source youth players from the strangest places these days so you'd never know.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It is a bit mad theres 3 players of Albanian descent in the squad, along with so many players of African descent we'veĀ  had repent us through the various age groups but yet there been so few Polish, which is probably the biggest minority group in Ireland.

So what you're saying is that we need to start scouting Polish youth teams for Irish born talent - not an avenue I'd have thought of before but we seem to source youth players from the strangest places these days so you'd never know.

Not what I was implying but now that you say it, I think thatā€™s a great idea, you never know, we might unearth an Oā€™ Lewandowski
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 12:14pm
Here's today's team playing Mexico again:

Great showing last day so hoping for more of the same.
And fair-play to the locals for coming out in some numbers.

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:10pm
A disappointing day for the under age sides. The U17's went down 2 nil at home to Mexico and the U21's dropped points in their qualification group with a 1-1 draw away to Luxembourg.

The U17's beat Mexico a few nights ago so they have a win and a loss from that series of games which isnt too bad.

The U21's had a great result winning away to Bosnia but left 2 points behind them today. With Italy and Sweden in our group, we really need to be winning games away to Luxembourg. Hopefully the senior team get a better result out there!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:58pm
Usually the first game in these series of two at 17s level is where the first XI is played, we won that one vs Mexico so wouldn't be too concerned. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 37>
  Share Topic