You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gordon Banks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gordon Banks
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:10am
Has passed away.

Quality keeper.

RIP
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:45am
Probably the best ever.

Him and Yashin.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:50am
That famous save against Pele.

ClapClapClap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:52am
http://https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/saving-grace-during-troubled-times-1.1026936

Heard about this a few weeks back with regards to the Derry lad who idolized him. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:21am
He lost an eye and retired early - what the...I'd never heard that part
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:21am
Played one game for the Junkies apparently. Leicester let him go instead of a younger Peter Shilton, joined Stoke at 28, both quality goalkeepers alright.
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:16pm
Why did he not play for bigger clubs, when he was so good? I suppose the game was different in those days.

He played for St Pats, just once,in 1977.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 12 Feb 2019 at 12:17pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Why did he not play for bigger clubs, when he was so good? I suppose the game was different in those days.

Sure that 1966 team had 3 from West Ham including Peters and Moore.  Have West Ham ever won  a trophy even? 

1990 Shilton was playing with Derby County as was Mark Wright
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Sure that 1966 team had 3 from West Ham including Peters and Moore.  Have West Ham ever won  a trophy even? 

Last team from outside the Top Flight to win the Cup when they won it in 1980 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:37pm

FA Cup in 1964
European Cup Winners Cup in 1965

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

FA Cup in 1964

Think they got to the UEFA Cup semis in the 70's unless I'm mistaken. Had tp play home leg behind closed doors 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:40pm

Sure they even had two players (Robson, Webb) from another small club that finished 13th that season - Manchester United.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:42pm
Another slightly interesting stat Ive mentioned on here before ......Liverpool did the Double in 1986 and did not have a single player in the England squad in Mexico.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

http://https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/saving-grace-during-troubled-times-1.1026936

Heard about this a few weeks back with regards to the Derry lad who idolized him. 

I believe the book is very good.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:27pm

I was at Richmond Park for his only game for Pats against Rovers. He made an fantastic save from a stinging volley from of all people, Eamon Dunphy. My other memory of the match being perched on the wall in front of the old stand and letting a full packet of Toffo fall on to the pitch. I asked a steward to hand tem up to me. The thieving junkie bastard put my sweets in the pocket of his coat and walked off. I hate those ****s ever since. And no, I wont let it go. 

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

FA Cup in 1964

Think they got to the UEFA Cup semis in the 70's unless I'm mistaken. Had tp play home leg behind closed doors 

QF of the ECWC in 81 where they were torn apart my the magnificent Dynamo Tbilisi at Upton Park (best team I ever seen live - against Liverpool at Anfield in 79)
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

He lost an eye and retired early - what the...I'd never heard that part

I think he just lose sight in an eye rather than lose the eye completely.

Wasn't aware of that until I read it earlier when I heard he died.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

That famous save against Pele.

ClapClapClap
There was a great story from a caller to Banks on the radio, about being constantly asked about 'that' save.

His response was: "I'll be glad when it finally goes in"

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic