You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Montenegro is like Turkey: Russians don't need visas for there. As a result, they have a large number of Russian tourists.

still sounds better than going to Santa Ponsa and it full of Dubs LOL
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:20am
Went to Kotor when staying in Dubrovnik. An incredible contrast but not in a bad sense. Dubrovnik polished, Kotor real. 

Fascinating history given their mix of religion. Cheap beer Big smile

The women Heart
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:01am
Anyone have recommendations for New Zealand outside of the usual things? Going for three weeks next March.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Anyone have recommendations for New Zealand outside of the usual things? Going for three weeks next March.

Lamb
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:10am
N
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Lamb
Decent band, are they not from Manchester?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 2:21pm

Depends on what you call usual things.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Depends on what you call usual things.

Good point, eeen told Queenstown, Wanaka, Fox Glacier etc by a good few people so looking for things that people may have done that most would have missed or skipped
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 2:46pm
What comprises the “usual” things is a bit nebulous. However, I’d avoid the cities. There is no great reason to go to any of them. I spent a night in Auckland and a layover in Wellington, but everything else was done off the beaten track.

Rotorua is probably the exception. There is a lot to do there, even though its small. We did the natural springs, the geyser, a Maori night complete with hangi dinner (very recommended) all over two days. We took kayeks around Abel Tasmin, stopping off at some truly beautiful and deserted beaches to camp.

Also, from Queenstown you can do daytrips to Milford Sound. Make sure to have a Fergburger in Queenstown. The Glaciers are also worth a visit, although you can no longer walk on them. Both Fox and FJ are within reasonable distance of each other.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

What comprises the “usual” things is a bit nebulous. However, I’d avoid the cities. There is no great reason to go to any of them. I spent a night in Auckland and a layover in Wellington, but everything else was done off the beaten track.

Rotorua is probably the exception. There is a lot to do there, even though its small. We did the natural springs, the geyser, a Maori night complete with hangi dinner (very recommended) all over two days. We took kayeks around Abel Tasmin, stopping off at some truly beautiful and deserted beaches to camp.

Also, from Queenstown you can do daytrips to Milford Sound. Make sure to have a Fergburger in Queenstown. The Glaciers are also worth a visit, although you can no longer walk on them. Both Fox and FJ are within reasonable distance of each other.

Brilliant, exactly what I was after, thanks. We had been struggling to find things on the North Island so that helps a lot.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm

Brilliant, exactly what I was after, thanks. We had been struggling to find things on the North Island so that helps a lot.

Waitomo has tubing trips through glow worm caves that I would highly recommend. Tubing is certainly a younger persons activity, but we did it and really enjoyed it. We also took a walk around the adjoining national park, and it broke up the trip between Auckland and Rotorua! 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 3:13pm
Deadly, will look into them too, just looked at Abel Tasman and looks perfect, will definitely do that.

Thanks a millClap

Edited by nvidic - 18 Jun 2019 at 3:14pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 3:28pm

Deadly, will look into them too, just looked at Abel Tasman and looks perfect, will definitely do that.

Thanks a millClap

Delighted to share!!

Abel Tasmin was the highlight of the trip. A wide range of travellers some on their own and some in groups! The shower at the end of the weekend was the most welcome show I ever took!
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:03pm

Waitomo has tubing trips through glow worm caves that I would highly recommend. Tubing is certainly a younger persons activity, but we did it and really enjoyed it. We also took a walk around the adjoining national park, and it broke up the trip between Auckland and Rotorua! 

only wan place in this world to do Tubing and its Vang Vieng in Laos with randomly shooting RPG's at the end of it. bonkers stuff! 
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:24pm
Vang Vieng has been closed a good few years now. Too many deaths happened.
Could have just kept it and got rid of the swings and slides as it was just a great idea to float down a river with booze and going from pub to pub.
The 'slide' was made with tiles and grout. People were tearing the back off themselves.
The dark side.. And the light
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Could have just kept it and got rid of the swings and slides as it was just a great idea to float down a river with booze and going from pub to pub.
The 'slide' was made with tiles and grout. People were tearing the back off themselves.

ah bollox is it closed LOL 

they would f**k out a rope from the bar and pull you in for a magic mushroom shake. off down to the next pub and so on. 
got to the end of it off my chops. farmers were selling their cows to be blown up by RPG's from about 60 yards away. US$20 if the rocket hit the cow in the head and $100 if you hit the body. basically if you hit it in the head they could sell the meat. bonkers stuff. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

ah bollox is it closed LOL 

they would f**k out a rope from the bar and pull you in for a magic mushroom shake. off down to the next pub and so on. 
got to the end of it off my chops. farmers were selling their cows to be blown up by RPG's from about 60 yards away. US$20 if the rocket hit the cow in the head and $100 if you hit the body. basically if you hit it in the head they could sell the meat. bonkers stuff. 

If vegans have enough energy to form a vigilante grouping you should be target no 1
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:28pm

I did the Tongariro walk. I went in July so was a nice bit of snow and ice. Climbed up the mountain using crampons and ice axes, guide told us about the importance of the mountains in Maori culture and pointed out Mount Doom from Lord of the Rings. 

As above, went to the natural pools, Maori cultural night (the hangi was exceptionally good), and I threw in a sky dive over Lake Taupo which is a super volcano. Incredible place
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:52pm

+1 on most of that.

We did the Kiwi Experience tourist bus, have a read through their itinerary, hits a lot of good spots

In addition to Hetfield's stuff, definitely try the downhill luge in Rotorua (karting) and we thought Taupo was a lovely spot too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
  Share Topic