You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:57pm

That’s brilliant McG. Cheers for the tips. I’ll be there next weekend and I’ll report back after. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

That’s brilliant McG. Cheers for the tips. I’ll be there next weekend and I’ll report back after. 
No need to go now after McGs run down
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

No need to go now after McGs run down

LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:57pm
anybody ever been to La Rochelle in France...thinking of heading for a few days mini break.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

anybody ever been to La Rochelle in France...thinking of heading for a few days mini break.

Loads from here during euro 2016
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Did Split and the islands last year and I would say more expensive than Dublin on the islands for eating out . Thumbs Down

What time of year did you go?
June last year , now a couple of days in Split , 10 days in Havr then rounded off with 3 days in Dub .
Now you can do it on the cheaper side no doubt but you will have to do it off  the beaten track .

This was top end on the key side in down town Havr , Starters € 20 , mains without veg ( steak ) €45 and cheap bottle of wine started at €46 up to whatever . 

We worked out we could have spent over €200 for one meal , now it was a very nice spot but this is Eastern Europe not the south of France . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:51am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Would highly recommend the hospital top notch.  
AKA pedantic kunt
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:13pm

Report MC? 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Report MC? 

Sorry I missed this post. 

Cheers to the lads for their tips. Had a super time in Croatia. 
We arrived in Split and cut our time short there as it was raining so we headed North to Zadar where it was lovely. We did do some white water rafting as we were gonna get wet outside anyway. That was decent though not really the "Extreme rafting experience" advertised and you would certainly get faster rapid in the Alps. McG, we took your advice and went to some of the recommendations before we left though. Zinfandel restaurant was especially nice. Nice range of food and the Ceviche was a highlight. 

Zadar is less touristy and a bit nicer than Split IMO. It's a slower pace there and nice for relaxing. Walking the promenade is pleasant. It's strange to see the Roman ruins incorporated fully into the town with people sitting on the remains of ancient pillars eating ice creams etc and bog standard apartment blocks and offices beside them, it had a bit of a Cuban feel in that regard. The coastal bus from Split takes an hour longer (3 hours total) than the highway but the scenery is beautiful so it's worthwhile doing it oneway anyway. 

Next on the list was Hvar. McG, you were spot on when you said it was glorious. That is the perfect word for it. We spent three days there and I could have happily stayed for longer. Its one of the more scenic locations I've ever been. It is pricey though which is the only issue. I was speaking to a local and he reckoned that they are trying to avoid it become overcrowded by keeping it high end. Having said that, we got a deadly apartment near Hvar town on Air BnB which was very reasonable. That allowed us cook some food and save on expenses. 

We got the ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik for the last three days (3 hour trip). The Old Town is stunning and is like a living museum. It's almost surreal to see how well preserved it is given that people have been consistently living there down the ages. You can be having a beer on the walls one minute admiring an incredible view and then walking out a sea gate, diving in and having a swim the next. There is a touch of tourist trap about some of the pubs/restaurants though. Prices are high and the quality isn't great. 

Overall the holiday surpassed expectations and I would recommend a trip there with some caveats. One being some of the prices for food, taxis and drink. The other being when you consider going. I believe it gets very hot in Summer (30-38 degrees). I'm aware that complaining about numbers of tourists when you are one is a bit thick but you don't want to be going to a place uncomfortably full and I can see that being an issue with Dubrovnik. One of the locals was giving out sh*te to me about the cruise liners as they arrive with people en masse crowding up the place and they spend fook all money in the city before hitting the road. 
Also the beaches are stony so you need appropriate footwear for getting in for a dip to avoid sea urchins. The water is generally clear and calm, really good for swimming. The coastline and islands are as nice as I've seen anywhere in the world really. 

Croats came across well. They spoke English but were appreciative for a greeting in their native tongue. They are certainly proud people and I didnt generally feel like they were the type to rip off tourists which is a vibe I've gotten elsewhere usually with good reason. For example a waitress came after me with a few quid in her hand as she had miscalculated the bill and overcharged us. They think their government are numpties as well and love their football so there's plenty to chat about.  

Hrvatska Clap

El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:39pm
The Romans were in Cuba?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:13pm
Great stuff MC. Some good calls made there. Shame about the weather in Split.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:26pm

Report MC? 

We arrived in Split and cut our time short there as it was raining so we headed North to Zadar where it was lovely. We did do some white water rafting as we were gonna get wet outside anyway. That was decent though not really the "Extreme rafting experience" advertised and you would certainly get faster rapid in the Alps. McG, we took your advice and went to some of the recommendations before we left though. Zinfandel restaurant was especially nice. Nice range of food and the Ceviche was a highlight. 

Zadar is less touristy and a bit nicer than Split IMO. It's a slower pace there and nice for relaxing. Walking the promenade is pleasant. It's strange to see the Roman ruins incorporated fully into the town with people sitting on the remains of ancient pillars eating ice creams etc and bog standard apartment blocks and offices beside them, it had a bit of a Cuban feel in that regard. The coastal bus from Split takes an hour longer (3 hours total) than the highway but the scenery is beautiful so it's worthwhile doing it oneway anyway. 

Next on the list was Hvar. McG, you were spot on when you said it was glorious. That is the perfect word for it. We spent three days there and I could have happily stayed for longer. Its one of the more scenic locations I've ever been. It is pricey though which is the only issue. I was speaking to a local and he reckoned that they are trying to avoid it become overcrowded by keeping it high end. Having said that, we got a deadly apartment near Hvar town on Air BnB which was very reasonable. That allowed us cook some food and save on expenses. 

We got the ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik for the last three days (3 hour trip). The Old Town is stunning and is like a living museum. It's almost surreal to see how well preserved it is given that people have been consistently living there down the ages. You can be having a beer on the walls one minute admiring an incredible view and then walking out a sea gate, diving in and having a swim the next. There is a touch of tourist trap about some of the pubs/restaurants though. Prices are high and the quality isn't great. 

Overall the holiday surpassed expectations and I would recommend a trip there with some caveats. One being some of the prices for food, taxis and drink. The other being when you consider going. I believe it gets very hot in Summer (30-38 degrees). I'm aware that complaining about numbers of tourists when you are one is a bit thick but you don't want to be going to a place uncomfortably full and I can see that being an issue with Dubrovnik. One of the locals was giving out sh*te to me about the cruise liners as they arrive with people en masse crowding up the place and they spend fook all money in the city before hitting the road. 
Also the beaches are stony so you need appropriate footwear for getting in for a dip to avoid sea urchins. The water is generally clear and calm, really good for swimming. The coastline and islands are as nice as I've seen anywhere in the world really. 

Croats came across well. They spoke English but were appreciative for a greeting in their native tongue. They are certainly proud people and I didnt generally feel like they were the type to rip off tourists which is a vibe I've gotten elsewhere usually with good reason. For example a waitress came after me with a few quid in her hand as she had miscalculated the bill and overcharged us. They think their government are numpties as well and love their football so there's plenty to chat about.  

Hrvatska Clap

good man MC Clap

as stated i have 3 night books and paid for in Cavtat so have another 4 nights left. was going to do 2 in Hvar and 2 in Split. Would you just do 4 in Hvar? 
On Hvar did you stay in Hvar town. Is it easy to get around the island to see the likes of Stari Grad etc? if it is, im half tempted to just stay the 4 nights in Hvar and see Split another time. Recommend any decent spots to stay on Hvar? 

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 12 Jun 2019 at 1:27pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The Romans were in Cuba?

Smile

I didn't bump into any Romans when I was there anyway. What I meant but didn't explain well was that in Cuba a lot of the old buildings and main sights of historic interest are pretty accessible to anyone and you don't need a big wad of cash or to queue to experience them. 

good man MC Clap

as stated i have 3 night books and paid for in Cavtat so have another 4 nights left. was going to do 2 in Hvar and 2 in Split. Would you just do 4 in Hvar? 
On Hvar did you stay in Hvar town. Is it easy to get around the island to see the likes of Stari Grad etc? if it is, im half tempted to just stay the 4 nights in Hvar and see Split another time. Recommend any decent spots to stay on Hvar? 

I might be a bit biased as we probably didn't get the best of Split due to the rain but I would give Split a day and then head to Hvar for the other three. The Roman forum and old town are worth a look for sure. 

Yeah, we stayed in Hvar town. This place was about €65/70 per night I think. 
It is a 4 or 5 minute walk up the steps from the harbour in the town where the action is and the apartment has great sea views from the balcony. The hosts gave us plenty of useful info too. 

Car and scooter rental is cheap enough. 200 Kuna a day for the scooter (€27) and is a good way to explore. Dubovica beach was the nicest one we were on but there are others closer to Hvar town.  

The Fortress on top of the hill is worth a look and theres some good restaurant and bars on the way which are better value than the harbour. 

The beach clubs are predictably a rip off but are great for a spot of perving. 
El Puto Amo
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:15pm

Report MC? 

Hrvatska Clap

Hrvatska,was that the waitresses name? Fair play to her
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Report MC? 

Hrvatska Clap

Hrvatska,was that the waitresses name? Fair play to her

butt out and f**k off on your jolliers to Dundalk 
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:29pm
any of yis been to Tivat or Kotor in Montenegro? whats it like?
cup champions
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by DG80 DG80 wrote:

any of yis been to Tivat or Kotor in Montenegro? whats it like?
Stayed in Budva a few years back and used it as a base for exploring the area. Budva is a good base, lots of nice hotels, good beach, and plenty of bars/restaurants. It's a holiday resort for Eastern Europeans (lots of Russians, Polish etc).

Kotor is nice, flooded by tour boats when a tour boat is due in, when they all go back on board at 5pm it quietens down a lot. Big hill behind it o go up for a view of the bay.

Didn't make Tivat.

Sveti Stefan is worth a drive if you have a car (but think it's close to impossible to go there).

Herceg Novi is a nice more traditional town.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 11:55pm
Montenegro is like Turkey: Russians don't need visas for there. As a result, they have a large number of Russian tourists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic