You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:59am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Will be in Hong Kong for 2 days at the start of April. Flying out the day of the 7's so will miss that.

Any recommendations?

What are you after? 

Won't be a mad drinking trip so tourist attractions mainly.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:11am

Will be in Hong Kong for 2 days at the start of April. Flying out the day of the 7's so will miss that.

Any recommendations?

What are you after? 

Won't be a mad drinking trip so tourist attractions mainly.

Can't go wrong with the usual things - the peak (queue for the tram is mad, can get an Uber up), best to go there at Dusk. 

Worth heading for a look at the Ladies Market, some decent local restaurants there too - plastic stool type ones. The Big Buddha is good if you're into that sort of thing, there's a cablecar up to it but it was closed last time I went.

I'd start off at the harbour, down in Tsim Sha Tsui, have a look around there skyline there, then jump on the star ferry to central, walk over to Beer Bay for a drink, and back across again and head into Mongkok for a look - it's the busiest part of the city I've found. You can pay by cash but might be worth getting an Octopus card while you're there - pays for all transport and a lot of shops take it too.

Food wise, Dim Dim Sum is a good spot for Dim Sum, Jumbo is a restaurant on a boat, it's a bit kitschy but worth looking into.

If Happy Valley races are on when you're there it's a good way to spend a few hours.

Wooloomooloo bar is worth going to for a few for the view, drinks are expensive, as there are everywhere in HK but worth it.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:17am
Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Have a few days in Paris next week, and time to myself during the day. So anything different to see and do over there other than the obvious 

Eiffel Tower is supposed to be decent. Definitely in the top 3 or 4 towers.

Cheers Paulie, never heard of it must check it LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:08pm
Sd/Lass and Babbs Thumbs Up
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:13pm

Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up

No worries, your hotel should give you a mobile 4G dongle so can't go too far wrong with access to Google maps etc
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 2:49pm

Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up

No worries, your hotel should give you a mobile 4G dongle so can't go too far wrong with access to Google maps etc

On that note, what would be the best area to stay in?
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:20pm
Anyone ever been to Athens? what's it like? cheap? things to see and do?
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:50pm

Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up

On that note, what would be the best area to stay in?

All depends, if you're near an MTR (metro) you can't go too far wrong, even better if you're near Central (can be a bit sterile near here is only thing) or Kowloon as the airport train stops there, you can check in and drop your bags there too, they'll give you your boarding pass, I alway do this about 11am for late night flights, it's great. 

Maybe look up a few areas and choose one that matches what you're after. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:53pm
Can't go too far wrong with Wan Chai either, has the MTR, STAR Ferry, night life and places to eat and drink, is a bit quieter during the day possibly depending on what end you're on, lot of offices there 

Edited by nvidic - 23 Feb 2019 at 3:53pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:09pm
Top man Thumbs Up
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

Was there last month for a few days . Now it had been 30 years since i was last there but very impressed i must say . Cheap yep i have to say we have starters mains and a bottle of wine for under €50 for two in a decent place , same again another night for €33 but more down market .
Out of season and places to visit were half price , they raise 50% from March to Oct .
I would hate to be there during the summer i must say .
On the whole yep worth a visit i must say . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Was there last month for a few days . Now it had been 30 years since i was last there but very impressed i must say . Cheap yep i have to say we have starters mains and a bottle of wine for under €50 for two in a decent place , same again another night for €33 but more down market .
Out of season and places to visit were half price , they raise 50% from March to Oct .

cool. thanks pal. thinking of doing 2 days there in October between Tbilisi and Geneva 
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 9:09am

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

cool. thanks pal. thinking of doing 2 days there in October between Tbilisi and Geneva 
Really like the area called Monisaraki ( something like that anyway ) on the other hand there a few no go areas where you will get robbed i was told but none of them are on the tourist trail .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Have a few days in Paris next week, and time to myself during the day. So anything different to see and do over there other than the obvious 

Worst Kip In Europe in my view if I could pick one city in Europe to never visit again it be Paris. None the less enjoy 

For some damned reason, while I was in Paris I kept thinking of your post. I presume it was because of the Thierry Henry match...??? 

I've been to Paris twice both Ireland games. But this trip has made me look on the city completely differently. Having fine warm sunny weather when it would usually be snowy helped a lot 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:08am

Worst Kip In Europe in my view if I could pick one city in Europe to never visit again it be Paris. None the less enjoy 

For some damned reason, while I was in Paris I kept thinking of your post. I presume it was because of the Thierry Henry match...??? 

I've been to Paris twice both Ireland games. But this trip has made me look on the city completely differently. Having fine warm sunny weather when it would usually be snowy helped a lot 
Someone from Dublin calling Paris a kip LOLLOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Clap
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:19am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I'd say its more to do with Paris' reputation as a beautiful, romantic city.

I prefer Vienna and Prague.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic