You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel thread
    Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm

If there is one of these threads already, I DON'T CARE. I'M ABOVE THE LAW. But do feel free to merge or lock this thread if so Mods. 

We are thinking of going to the Adriatic coast for 10 days in early June. We were looking at Croatia initially but the idea of being part of a horde of tourists in Hvar town or Dubrovnik doesn’t sound that appealing. I was mooching around online and Montenegro looks decent but I’m open to ideas.

We like moving around and will ideally take in two to three locations. I’d like a mix of sunny weather, nice scenery, a vibrant town centre, some history or heritage and a decent atmosphere. 

So if you, my forum friends, can recommend a couple of destinations that combine all the key characteristics mentioned above and suggest some towns/ cities in the region that resemble a cross between Seville, Budapest, Lyon and San Sebastian that would be great.

El Puto Amo
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

We are thinking of going to the Adriatic coast for 10 days in early June. We were looking at Croatia initially but the idea of being part of a horde of tourists in Hvar town or Dubrovnik doesn’t sound that appealing. I was mooching around online and Montenegro looks decent but I’m open to ideas.

We like moving around and will ideally take in two to three locations. I’d like a mix of sunny weather, nice scenery, a vibrant town centre, some history or heritage and a decent atmosphere. 

So if you, my forum friends, can recommend a couple of destinations that combine all the key characteristics mentioned above and suggest some towns/ cities in the region that resemble a cross between Seville, Budapest, Lyon and San Sebastian that would be great.

Montenegro is just as populated but with Russian tourists replacing the English tourists.

Spent a few days there a few years back, we wnet to Budva, lovely beach town but wouldn't put it in the class of the cities you mention above. Kotor bay is lovely scenery, but has the cruise ships during the summer

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:49pm

If there is one of these threads already, I DON'T CARE. I'M ABOVE THE LAW. But do feel free to merge or lock this thread if so Mods. 

Stayed in Rovinj in northern Croatia in September 17, lovely spot and quieter than Hvar etc. Aer Lingus fly direct to Pula which is about 40 mins away. 
We did a day trip across to Venice and few other boat trips. 4 or 5 days there is probably enough 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
Without a shadow of a doubt and place that has cruise ships visiting it then you will pay top dollar .Dubrovnik now right up there on the tour route but goodness it's worth a day super spot but mad expensive . Croatia has a very long coast line we were on a bus but one place looked class i think it was Dudu half way from Split to Dubrovnik .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:09am

Cheers for the tips lads. Think we’ll head for Pula and spend a few days there then get a flight to Split and finish in Dubrovnik.
El Puto Amo
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:36am

Cheers for the tips lads. Think we’ll head for Pula and spend a few days there then get a flight to Split and finish in Dubrovnik.

Ok lads best place you have visited. 

Worst place you have visited. 

Place you would love to visit but haven’t 

Place you have no intention to visit. 

If you could pick one spot to head to every year of your life after you turn 60 like murph where would you pick. 

Best place for a weekend break. 

AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Ok lads best place you have visited. 

Worst place you have visited. 

Place you would love to visit but haven’t 

Place you have no intention to visit. 

If you could pick one spot to head to every year of your life after you turn 60 like murph where would you pick. 

Best place for a weekend break. 

I must say you are wasted in you roll at work , i i think  working for the CIA would have been right up your street 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:46am

I did a few days in Split, boat to Hvar for a few days, boat to Dubrovnik and it was a great trip. 
Dubrovnik is a lovely spot and worth a visit.

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:17am
If it’s proper tranquility you are looking for have a look at Mljet . Beautiful island off the south of Croatia.  

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

If it’s proper tranquility you are looking for have a look at Mljet . Beautiful island off the south of Croatia.  

Ditto for Lopud. Lovely hotel on the island, a beach and about 4/5 restaurants. There's nothing open past 11, great place to unwind and 45min ferry from Dubrovnik if ya fancy a day trip
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:59pm
It's been 6 years since I was in Hvar and it might have increased in popularity in the meantime but I didn't find it swarming with tourists, still had a bit of a local feel about it in comparison to Dubrovnik.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Montenegro is just as populated but with Russian tourists replacing the English tourists.

That's because it is one of three countries with Med coastlines that Russians don't need a visa for and Bosnia and Turkey are the other two and Bosnia's coastline is only about 20km long, from recollection.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:09pm
Also, on the cruise ship point, yeah, places with lots of cruise ships are madness during the day but they tend to be a lot quieter in the evening and accommodation isn't always mental either, as a result.

I stayed in Venice a few years back for a night and the place was a lot quieter in the evening. I'd imagine in Croatia, the accommodation is actually affordable.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:12pm
Budva is a smashing spot
Gigibongi33 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigibongi33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It's been 6 years since I was in Hvar and it might have increased in popularity in the meantime but I didn't find it swarming with tourists, still had a bit of a local feel about it in comparison to Dubrovnik.

I was there in 2013  and again in 2017 and it's definitely got more popular and prices have increased as a result . Could easily end up paying  Temple Bar prices in some of the bars and clubs .
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:41pm
@Mc 
I don't know if we means yourself and your other half or a gang of 20 lads away beering for the weekend but I'll share my only experience in that part of the world. I got married in Dubrovnik in August 2017 and even though it was uncharted territory in more ways than one , I consider myself lucky just to even walk the streets there. It's something out of this world really. You are heading over there just before peak season so accommodation won't be as expensive if you decide to visit. Won't be as hot either. It was nearly 30 degrees when we were there but it's only late July early August it's that hot. 

It's not expensive if your not a tight ****. Yeah you might give the equivalent of 6 euro for a pint  , but I'm not used of paying Budapest prices for a pint every weekend. And since you are a Dub , you won't feel out of pocket , more like home prices 😃 

Korcula is a beautiful island , they call it a mini Dubrovnik. Very relaxing there , more suitable for a couple than a gang of junkies from Dublin though. Bear in mind that most beaches on the Adriatic are pebble and stone beaches but Lombarda beach on Korcula is a beautiful sandy beach to dump your syringes on. 

I wasn't a fan of Hvar. I'll put that down to being married and old.

Id highly recommend Split for a few nights. Beautiful vibrant city full of history and beauty. And for all the 6 euro pints you drank in Dubrovnik , you will get your money back here drinking pints for 80 cent in the city centre. I felt like I could easily spend a week here. 

Montenegro also looks amazing but I've never been but wherever ye end up over there , it's a lovely part of the world which I'm sure you will enjoy 

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:04am
Split is the dogs bollocks. fantastic views, cheap, great food and a lovely city centre.

Edited by colemanY2K - 11 Feb 2019 at 12:06am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
MC i know it's away from where your looking to go but i can't highly enough recommend South Africa and in particular Cape Town and wine areas of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. Great 10 day holiday destination. 

Spend about 5 nights in Cape Town and then 2 nights in each of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek and then back to Cape Town for the last night. definitely in my top 3 city/area that i have ever visited around the world. Flights from Dublin in June are about €450 return with Ethiopian Airlines (roughly 18 hours and 2 stops) Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic