You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100 years ago today...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 years ago today...
    Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:30pm
A very low key marking of the century of one of the most pivotal days in the History of modern Ireland. 

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 21 Jan 2019 at 8:30pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

A very low key marking of the century of one of the most pivotal days in the History of modern Ireland. 

Confused

Hardly low key

Edited by Denis Irwin - 21 Jan 2019 at 8:34pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Confused

Hardly low key

Disagree. The significance of this day is massive. It should have been a public holiday IMO. Obviously it’s being commemorated, but a national day of commemoration would have been more appropriate
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm
i fully agree with you zizu. a day just as significant in our history as the easter rising.

i didn't realise it was the 100th anniversary until this morning.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 4:03am
1916 aside, it's hardly surprising that there are rarely any commemorations. Our past governments have never seemed keen to celebrate this period in our history. Partition and the Civil War are possible factors in this. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:55am
Yep I don't think we'll have any kind of public holiday in this regard until an United Ireland is formed unfortunately I think with the way brexit negotiations are going that is still very far off.

Given what happened in Derry the other day I live in hope that that was just an isolated incident and that we don't see a return of the troubles.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:34am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Given what happened in Derry the other day I live in hope that that was just an isolated incident and that we don't see a return of the troubles.

No chance of that. None.
There is simply no reason to go back. I expect more incidents like this but they really don't have the support.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:01am

Yep I don't think we'll have any kind of public holiday in this regard until an United Ireland is formed unfortunately I think with the way brexit negotiations are going that is still very far off.

In a United Ireland we will have the 12th of July as another holiday , so how many public holidays is feasible in a country that can't provide for its most vulnerable citizens ?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:15am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

In a United Ireland we will have the 12th of July as another holiday , so how many public holidays is feasible in a country that can't provide for its most vulnerable citizens ?

Can't see any reason why we can't just ditch one of the existing holidays in place of one for the 12th and "Independence Day". No need for additional holidays.

Having said that the number of public holidays has no correlation with how the state looks after the most vulnerable in society.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:19am
True Coleman Thumbs Up 
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 11:54am
Isn't the Number of our bank holidays lower than many EU countries anyway  
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Yes. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:10pm
We need bank holiday Fridays - f**k the Monday monopoly 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm
Surprisingly EU harmonisation doesn't extend to the number of Public Holidays per member state.  
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

We need bank holiday Fridays - f**k the Monday monopoly 
No no no we need bank holiday Fridays to run in conjunction with the bank holiday Mondays
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:03pm
Been a bank holiday in Dublin on a September Monday the last four years. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 8:42am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Surprised at that, would have assumed we had more than most EU countries.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 4:37pm
We only have 1 bank holiday per year on Good Friday - the others are public holidays.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic