Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micks first eleven.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:36pm
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:39pm
Thats a team id like to see if possible at some stage. Your welcome people.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:40pm
Ciaran Clark doesn't get near the Newcastle side. Egan all day long.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:41pm
            Randolph 
Doherty Duffy Clark Stevens 
           Arter Whelan 
O’Dowda Robinson Brady
              Maguire
Think that’s the best footballing side we have available if all are fit. 

If James McCarthy can ever get back playing games for Everton then he starts ahead of Arter or Whelan. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 4:27am
Maguire doesn't have the physical attributes to play as a lone striker for us given the way the team has played since the Euros (I'm including that time period as given what we saw on Saturday, the style of play doesn't look to have changed). For the foreseeable, I see him as an option from the bench, or playing in a 3 up front. Given the trickier games we'll have, I don't see us playing 4-3-3, so it's likely he'll be an option from the bench.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Ciaran Clark doesn't get near the Newcastle side. Egan all day long.

He's played pretty regularly this season actually, despite missing a couple of months with injury.

Edited by The O'Shea - 25 Mar 2019 at 6:43am
We're decent enough..
Jimmykeno View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmykeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:31am
i don't see how everyone is writing off doherty already as wide right. it was far from a normal game, where coleman and himself were sometimes getting in each others way. 99% of our games coleman wont be able to get forward anywhere near as much. they're our two best players so we have to be somewhat adaptable to get them in the team.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Back in the 80s we played against Malta in Valetta on an awful playing surface, with a gale blowing and won 1-0 with a last minute goal.

When Malta then came to Dublin we beat them 8-0.

So I wouldn't read too much into the result in Gibraltar. Put it down to the conditions, be glad it's over, and move on.

Yeah, sure just look at Scotland. They played today on a proper sized pitch, in perfect conditions, against a worse team, and only won 2 nil. Yesterday was a poor performance, but I wouldn't be pressing the panic button just yet.

Agreed. You could tell after the first couple of minutes into the game that it wasn't going to be a comfortable evening for us. The conditions were terrible and we certainly weren't playing to the strengths of the pitch either - unlike the hosts. That's the first time Gibraltar have been allowed play their competitive home games on the pitch and it's the same pitch that all ten teams in their league use. They know exactly what it's like and how to play on it. Getting out of dodge with the three points was all we needed to do. Also, as poor as our performance was, there were two or three occasions where it looked like we were definitely gonna score only for the ball to whizz just past an upright. We'll know far more about Mick's Ireland tomorrow when we play a proper team, in a proper stadium and in non gale force wind conditions.

Having said that, we should clearly be winning more comfortably no matter the conditions against such limited opposition. We still have big issues with our midfield and even bigger ones with our forwards. We look desperately short on quality in the final third of the pitch. McGoldrick did well for the goal but apart from that didn't inspire much confidence. Maguire looked well off the pace bordering on out of his depth - which is an obvious concern considering the opposition. And yet again the midfield never got it down and tried to play a bit of football. Hourihane had a few good deliveries but from general play was as poor as Hendrick was. The substitution of Doherty was bizarre - thought it was definitely worth persisting with as now he's essentially ruled himself out of trying it again. It wasn't working out too great but considering the state of everything else it wasn't the worst aspect of the display either.

It will be very interesting to see how we get on tomorrow night. I watched the Georgia-Switzerland game and Georgia did their usual - lots of decent build up play but no cutting edge whatsoever. We're a bit like that at the moment less the decent build up play. In truth Mick will be working miracles to get this group of players to finish ahead of either Denmark or the Swiss.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Back in the 80s we played against Malta in Valetta on an awful playing surface, with a gale blowing and won 1-0 with a last minute goal.

When Malta then came to Dublin we beat them 8-0.

So I wouldn't read too much into the result in Gibraltar. Put it down to the conditions, be glad it's over, and move on.

Yeah, sure just look at Scotland. They played today on a proper sized pitch, in perfect conditions, against a worse team, and only won 2 nil. Yesterday was a poor performance, but I wouldn't be pressing the panic button just yet.

Agreed. You could tell after the first couple of minutes into the game that it wasn't going to be a comfortable evening for us. The conditions were terrible and we certainly weren't playing to the strengths of the pitch either - unlike the hosts. That's the first time Gibraltar have been allowed play their competitive home games on the pitch and it's the same pitch that all ten teams in their league use. They know exactly what it's like and how to play on it. Getting out of dodge with the three points was all we needed to do. Also, as poor as our performance was, there were two or three occasions where it looked like we were definitely gonna score only for the ball to whizz just past an upright. We'll know far more about Mick's Ireland tomorrow when we play a proper team, in a proper stadium and in non gale force wind conditions.

Having said that, we should clearly be winning more comfortably no matter the conditions against such limited opposition. We still have big issues with our midfield and even bigger ones with our forwards. We look desperately short on quality in the final third of the pitch. McGoldrick did well for the goal but apart from that didn't inspire much confidence. Maguire looked well off the pace bordering on out of his depth - which is an obvious concern considering the opposition. And yet again the midfield never got it down and tried to play a bit of football. Hourihane had a few good deliveries but from general play was as poor as Hendrick was. The substitution of Doherty was bizarre - thought it was definitely worth persisting with as now he's essentially ruled himself out of trying it again. It wasn't working out too great but considering the state of everything else it wasn't the worst aspect of the display either.

It will be very interesting to see how we get on tomorrow night. I watched the Georgia-Switzerland game and Georgia did their usual - lots of decent build up play but no cutting edge whatsoever. We're a bit like that at the moment less the decent build up play. In truth Mick will be working miracles to get this group of players to finish ahead of either Denmark or the Swiss.
And all 100% right but we knew this was the case 18 months ago.
If any of the under 21's  show any form over the next 12 months especially in an attacking position they will have to be thrown in at the deepend can't be any worse than what's available.
( Robinson and long are a step up on what is available in this squad) 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:50am
LOL Saturday's performance is now acceptable because of Scotland? 

Full list of excuses:
The pitch
The wind
The loss of  S.Long
Scotland are sh*t

Have I missed any more? 
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Full list of excuses:
The pitch
The wind
The loss of  S.Long
Scotland are sh*t

Have I missed any more? 

Robbie Keane has to take some part of the blame aswell for his pre-match selfie and tinted eyebrows. 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Full list of excuses:
The pitch
The wind
The loss of  S.Long
Scotland are sh*t

Have I missed any more? 

Robbie Keane has to take some part of the blame aswell for his pre-match selfie and tinted eyebrows. 

LOL
korourke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korourke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:08pm
This is the side and formation balls.ie picked for the Georgia game. What do you guys think?

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:09pm
Doherty get another shot?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

korourke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korourke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:24pm
This was their reasoning:

RM: Matt Doherty

While Mick McCarthy seemed to indicate that the Matt Doherty 'experiment' failed against Gibraltar, we feel it is worth another shot in this one. Doherty actually played well in the opening half, showing some encouraging link up play with Seamus Coleman at times.

Taking him off 10 minutes into the second period was a harsh move by the Ireland boss. With better conditions and a pitch more conducive to playing attractive football, the Wolves standout should be given another opportunity to impress.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:25pm
From Mick's Interview it sounds to me as if Doherty won't be on the wing
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:28pm
Balls know that well, but by putting him there they get replies telling him he won't be playing there. A pointless  website.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:31pm
The Doherty situation is beyond bizarre. What was the thought process behind it at all? For me the only reason to take Doherty off at that stage against Gibraltar would be a niggle or making sure he's 100 percent for 90 minutes against Georgia. It couldn't have been a footballing reason, as there were 7/8 other players who could easily have been hooked before him. 

If Doherty is on the bench against Georgia it really is a comical start to the new managers tenure. Btw why were so many also opposed to Doherty and Coleman switching sides. Surely one of them is at least adequate on their left side. It's not as if we have Roberto Carlos ensconced in the LB position for the next decade.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>
  Share Topic