Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micks first eleven.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 59>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

There is going to be some very disappointed people here come next Wednesday. 
The best results we got under Mick previously were when we hoofed and that's what the teams he has managed since have done! It can't be any worse than what had been going on but I ain't holding my breath on the possession stakes. 
Think we could have a nervy first two games. 

First nervy game down. 
Whelan has to start Tuesday

And then he will be slaughtered on here and the player who didn’t play will become the world beater.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 1:38pm
I would rather play Afolabi who played for the under 19s the other day than either McGoldrick or Maguire.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:57pm
Spain refuse to play against this team. Just to illustrate the "quality" we were up against in the first half alone:

Two brickies kicked the ball against each other and fell over, to put us in on goal. 
Another one did his utmost to head the ball into his own net.
The keeper/labourer jumped out of the way of a cross instead of try and save it. 

If you saw that from a team in the LOI First Division, you would be laughing. And we still couldn't take advantage.

There is no excuse for the performance. Our players play in fog, frost, rain, snow, sleet, heatwaves, and/or thundery downpours all year round for club and country and find a way to deal with it, so the weather is no excuse. Gib are honestly the worst team I have ever seen. If you haven't scored at least 5, you haven't played well. We just about got the job done, but this was supposed to be a new broom sweeping away the cobwebs of the past 18 months. It's not a good sign for when we have to win games against professionals who play this game for a living.
PaConnors View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaConnors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:43pm
Maguire doesn't work as a front man for us - he should start out wide against Georgia and maybe replace him with Doherty for the last 30 mins depending on how he's going.

Think we should go with three central midfielders against Georgia, with two wingers and McGoldrick up front. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:08pm
Just going through the injuries and to be fair at least 4 are injured who would start. Shane Long, Alan Browne, Callum Robinson and Ciaran Clark.James McCarthy is a huge loss too. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Just going through the injuries and to be fair at least 4 are injured who would start. Shane Long, Alan Browne, Callum Robinson and Ciaran Clark.James McCarthy is a huge loss too. 

Odowda defo a starter now also.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:30pm
Would like to see something like this if Doherty doesn't start 

Randolph 
Coleman Duffy Keogh Stevens 
         Whelan Hourihane
       Hendrick Byrne Brady 
                   Maguire 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

McCarthy was a loss three years ago, even then I would argue about how big a loss it was. Long and Browne definitely shouldn't be starting and Clark probably shouldn't.

As Baldy said earlier, these fellas get far better when they are not playing. McCarthy should retire, he will have morphed into a mix of Keane and Brady with  another six months out.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
and Obafemi probably deserves a shout too as an off the bench striker for the last 20-30. Can’t help but think that Rice and perhaps Grealish (although I can’t stand him) would have been difference makers. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

and Obafemi probably deserves a shout too as an off the bench striker for the last 20-30. Can’t help but think that Rice and perhaps Grealish (although I can’t stand him) would have been difference makers. 
Would they get a game? Who would you drop?
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Would they get a game? Who would you drop?

LOL
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:18pm
Back in the 80s we played against Malta in Valetta on an awful playing surface, with a gale blowing and won 1-0 with a last minute goal.

When Malta then came to Dublin we beat them 8-0.

So I wouldn't read too much into the result in Gibraltar. Put it down to the conditions, be glad it's over, and move on.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

McCarthy was a loss three years ago, even then I would argue about how big a loss it was. Long and Browne definitely shouldn't be starting and Clark probably shouldn't.

As Baldy said earlier, these fellas get far better when they are not playing. McCarthy should retire, he will have morphed into a mix of Keane and Brady with  another six months out.

What a ray of sunshine you are.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Back in the 80s we played against Malta in Valetta on an awful playing surface, with a gale blowing and won 1-0 with a last minute goal.

So I wouldn't read too much into the result in Gibraltar. Put it down to the conditions, be glad it's over, and move on.

Yeah, sure just look at Scotland. They played today on a proper sized pitch, in perfect conditions, against a worse team, and only won 2 nil. Yesterday was a poor performance, but I wouldn't be pressing the panic button just yet.
We're decent enough..
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

This! 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:51pm
@PreMadonna

What actually would your starting 11 be (when all fully fit)

I'm only asking because it seems every player bar Whelan, Randolph (you would rather Westwood) and maybe 1 or 2 more at a push wouldn't be starting for you or offer f**k all etc?

So just for curiosity's sake name out your strongest Ireland side.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:02pm
My best eleven 4 1 3 2 - Randolph, Doherty, Keogh, Clark, Stephens - McCarthy - Hendrick, Hourihane, Brady - Robinson, Maguire
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

@PreMadonna

What actually would your starting 11 be (when all fully fit)

I'm only asking because it seems every player bar Whelan, Randolph (you would rather Westwood) and maybe 1 or 2 more at a push wouldn't be starting for you or offer f**k all etc?

So just for curiosity's sake name out your strongest Ireland side.
I named my team for Tuesday night on another thread, that is probably close to it. I don't think we are really missing anyone from the squad who would make much of a difference; O'Dowda/ Robinson would be a decent option off the bench and I felt Williams would have been ideal for these games, but that's about it. 
It is a question of picking the least sh*te team with a bit of tactical cohesion, yesterday he seemed to pick the best goalscorer in each position and hope for the best.

The post above was more  aimed at the amount of awful excuses being made for yesterday, as if Shane Long's absence was a factor!

Edited by pre Madonna - 24 Mar 2019 at 10:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 59>
  Share Topic