You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micks first eleven.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 59>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:10pm
With Rice gone, would like to see something like this. Browne banging them in this season means we have a decent attacking midfield option

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
        Arter McCarthy
Doherty Browne O'Dowda
            McGoldrick
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Team without Rice...Playing 4.1.4.1. as Kenny chose this for his first under 21 game/formation.

Randolph
Coleman    Duffy    Egan       Doherty
                      Arter
Robinson  Browne  Hendrick  O'Dowda
                       Long

Doherty left back wud ya go way wud ya
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Randolph

Coleman               Duffy               Clark              Brady

Young Doherty                Arter             Hendrick        McClean 

O'Dowda

McGoldrick

Approve
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 6:53pm
On form Coleman shouldn’t be in The team . He plays same position as Doherty and is not a centre half/right midfielder. Bench I’m afraid 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:23pm
------------Randolph
Coleman--Duffy--Egan--Stevens
Doherty--Arter--Hendrick--O'Dowda
------------Browne--------------
------------Obafemi-------------
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:55am
I would support 11 cats if they had the Irish jersey on but these teams are absolutely awful, our u19/21s are streets are streets ahead technically which is promising.

It is now said and done but Rice was exactly the type of player to take this team to a different level, we are desperate for a midfielder who does not look to get rid of the ball soon as they get it & a midfielder who can actually make a tackle.
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 1:35pm
              Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Doherty
               McCarthy
            Browne Brady 
 O’Dowda                  Robinson
               Maguire

If Robinson is still out, put Brady on the left and a cat in the middle. If the cat is out, Arter or Hendrick.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:12pm
I cant believe the amount of people still going for Brady and McCarthy.

Brady has been abysmal for club and country for almost 2 years but with his injuries and lack of game time its halted any chance hes had to turn his form around.

...and its too soon for McCarthy, he needs a run of games in him. Its a tough one to come back from and you dont want to be throwing him straight in having only played a few minutes in the reserves.

We just need to pick our in form players at present, id go for

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Brady has been abysmal for club and country for almost 2 years but with his injuries and lack of game time its halted any chance hes had to turn his form around.

+1 This Brady obsession is baffling.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:32pm

...and its too soon for McCarthy, he needs a run of games in him. Its a tough one to come back from and you dont want to be throwing him straight in having only played a few minutes in the reserves.

Id take that team but with long up front, it would be great too see a team picked on form but considering we are up against the rock and georgia i think shane needs to start should he fluke a goal or two it might give him a jump start. I firmly believe if he starts scoring at all we will make the euros.

Edited by armahibee - 14 Feb 2019 at 2:32pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:40pm
Can’t believe the amount of people who seem to think that two out of Browne, Hourihane and Hendrick can play in midfield together. 

The three of them are luxury players, teams like us can just about afford to fit one of them in the starting eleven. 

Our best chance of getting any creativity into the team is to play two sluggers in the middle, with one of Browne, Hourihane or Hendrick in front. 

Put O’Dowda on one wing and Robinson on the other and lump a few balls into the box. 

I think Mick will go something like this in midfield; 

O’Dowda-Arter-Browne-Williams-Robinson.

Edited by Maccatacca - 14 Feb 2019 at 2:44pm
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Id take that team but with long up front, it would be great too see a team picked on form but considering we are up against the rock and georgia i think shane needs to start should he fluke a goal or two it might give him a jump start. I firmly believe if he starts scoring at all we will make the euros.

I do like Long, he works his bollocks off for 90mins and tries his best but hes just not a natural goalscorer and it isnt just going to click for him now at 32.

Hes best at holding up play and having a go at tiring defenders. So Id rather see McGoldrick start since hes the one banging them in, with Long to come off the bench later in the game. A goal or 2 would probably help McGoldrick get going more than Long IMO.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Can’t believe the amount of people who seem to think that two out of Browne, Hourihane and Hendrick can play in midfield together. 

The three of them are luxury players, teams like us can just about afford to fit one of them in the starting eleven. 

Our best chance of getting any creativity into the team is to play two sluggers in the middle, with one of Browne, Hourihane or Hendrick in front. 

Put O’Dowda on one wing and Robinson on the other and lump a few balls into the box. 

On reflection I agree with you 100%. It’s very unlikely Mick will play more than one out of Hendrick/Hourihane/Browne in midfield.
One of Meyler/Whelan/McCarthy usually accompanied Arter and Hendrick in a midfield trio for the last 2 qualifying campaigns and Euro 2016. With the lack of game time and injury problems for McCarthy and Meyler’s drop down to League 1, Shaun Williams should probably start for Ireland as that defensive midfielder. Honestly I do think it makes most sense to go with a back 3. Matt Doherty and Enda Stevens are two of our most inform and consistent performers. They both play as wing backs for their respective clubs in Wolves and Sheffield United. There’s no guarantee that they would be as effective in a back 4. Should we really jepordise the form of 2 of our most inform players by playing them out of position. In the case of Matt Doherty particularly, should we really be playing him as a right midfielder or left back just to shoehorn an out of form Seamus Coleman into the team as right back! Playing Doherty as left back would also mean Enda Stevens would be on the bench which is surely a negative. We should be playing to our strengths. Another positive with the 3-5-2 is that we can play two strikers. I do think we really struggle when playing a lone striker up top. Long really has no hope when he’s just running after aimless long balls which is hopefully a thing of the past anyway. However I do think some of our best performances under O’Neill was when he played Murphy and Long up front in a 4-4-2 diamond! The games against Italy and France at Euro 2016 are prime examples of that. I thought we looked far more dangerous with Murphy as a target man who would complement Long’s pace. The problem with the 4-4-2 diamond is that it leaves us quite open in midfield and defence which Eriksen and Denmark showed us in the 1-5 drubbing. I don’t think a 3-5-2 formation would cause us those problems as you have 3 central midfielders and it can become a 5-3-2 when the wing backs track back! If you look at our current striking options McGoldrick stands out as the most inform striker with an impressive 10 goals for promotion chasing Sheffield United. However McGoldrick plays in a 3-5-2 with his striking partner Billy Sharpe up top! McGoldrick might not be as effective playing as a lone striker for us. So playing a 3-5-2 would also play into our strikers strengths not just our wing backs. The injured Robinson at Preston should probably partner McGoldrick up front for us if we take into account goals scored this season but you could make arguments for the likes of Long, Maguire and Obafemi. Taking into account all the above I think this is our strongest team. I admit Coleman may not be suitable at centre back but since he is one of our few top premier league players on his day I think it would be no harm giving him a try at it like the English did with Kyle Walker. I also accept that playing a 3-5-2 would rule out playing the inform Callum O’Dowda. I do think the pros largely outweigh the cons but that’s just my opinion along with the rest of this rabble 😂😂😂!

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I’d be happy with that although hendrick coming into a bit of form 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:20pm

A fair enough side. 

Re: Brady, he is one of the very few players who can pass and move and actually open up space. I literally cannot think of another midfielder who can do that other than (funnily enough) Williams. Even though he has been desperate the last couple of years, I still hope that mick can bring some of the old magic out of him
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:14am
I think the first eleven will always depend on who we are playing against and being home or away also.
With the first game against Gibraltar this is how I think the line up is going to be
............................Randolph..........................
Coleman.......Duffy............Clarke.......Stevens
Doherty......Arter..............Hendrick.....O'Dowda
......................Mcgoldrick...........................
.....................Long..................................

There are a lot of lads out injured or just coming back like Robinson, McCarthy, Ward, Maguire, Brady etc but can't see them being fit or sharp enough for a starting place, maybe Maguire if he keeps continues playing & scoring.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:19am
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I think the first eleven will always depend on who we are playing against and being home or away also.
With the first game against Gibraltar this is how I think the line up is going to be

There are a lot of lads out injured or just coming back like Robinson, McCarthy, Ward, Maguire, Brady etc but can't see them being fit or sharp enough for a starting place, maybe Maguire if he keeps continues playing & scoring.

Browne has a better chance of starting than Arter Hendrick. He's an absolute shoe in on current form.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Browne has a better chance of starting than Arter Hendrick. He's an absolute shoe in on current form.
I don't think so, I would be surprised if Browne started, he has very little international experience and has not proved himself at that level, Arter & Hendrick have. I could see brown coming off the bench tho. 
Until after the Denmark game in June I can see Mick starting players that have a bit of international experience behind them because he doesn't have enough time to work with the players.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 59>
  Share Topic