You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micks first eleven.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 59>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I think Jack Byrne amd Cullen might see game time on Saturday if we're well ahead with 20 to go 

might as well tie down Cullen when we can and not have another saga betwen us and England 

I dont think it will become an issue in his case.

LOL
Sponsored Links

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:20pm
Regardless of formation, and no matter who plays, it’ll be a damn sight better than the sh*tshow served up by those other two clowns 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Regardless of formation, and no matter who plays, it’ll be a damn sight better than the sh*tshow served up by those other two clowns 

Absolutely. We have had 11 years of absolutely septic football from Ireland between Trapattoni & O'Neill. Not that we are going to become Barcelona over night but at least Mick will have us passing the ball a lot more.
The only way is up
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Absolutely. We have had 11 years of absolutely septic football from Ireland between Trapattoni & O'Neill. Not that we are going to become Barcelona over night but at least Mick will have us passing the ball a lot more.

I'll believe it when I see it having such awful displays seared into my memory in recent times, and whatever we do against Gib doesn't really count. The 1-1 in Georgia was the nadir of those 11 years for me so let's see how we do against them next week. 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it having such awful displays seared into my memory in recent times, and whatever we do against Gib doesn't really count. The 1-1 in Georgia was the nadir of those 11 years for me so let's see how we do against them next week. 
2008 when trap came on board. Hard to believe we had to watch 10 years of that rubbish. Hopefully the future is brighter.

Tbh, the last period in which we regularly attempted - at least - to play football was probably under Mick. Not that I’m expecting a masterclass - no one could be - but at least he will try.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:42pm
Had some great nights though lads
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:48pm

The Gibraltar game is almost irrelevant. Or at least we would hope it will be. The Georgia game and the starting 11 selected will tell a lot about us. People expecting us to play easy on the eye football are going to be seriously disappointed. That ball will have snow on it with the amount of time we will spend punting it. This group of players isn't exactly the strongest and we have another dinosaur of a manager.

We will most likely be outplayed in general vs Georgia, but we might squeak the win like we've done before after playing poorly at home vs them. I have a feeling myself that Georgia will get a result and our campaign will be in flames before it has even really begun.

The biggest thing for me over the next 12 months would be to see Maguire and Doherty and hopefully 1/2 newer faces start every single game under McCarthy before he's gone. I fear though we'll be another step or 2 backwards by the time he goes, and players such as those named above will have little experience to their name in a years time, and we'll start from worse than scratch again.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:54pm
Stan tried to play football..................until the wheels fell off.................and the engine blew up.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:45pm
The Gibraltar game is almost irrelevant. Or at least we would hope it will be. The Georgia game and the starting 11 selected will tell a lot about us. People expecting us to play easy on the eye football are going to be seriously disappointed. That ball will have snow on it with the amount of time we will spend punting it. This group of players isn't exactly the strongest and we have another dinosaur of a manager.

We will most likely be outplayed in general vs Georgia, but we might squeak the win like we've done before after playing poorly at home vs them. I have a feeling myself that Georgia will get a result and our campaign will be in flames before it has even really begun.

The biggest thing for me over the next 12 months would be to see Maguire and Doherty and hopefully 1/2 newer faces start every single game under McCarthy before he's gone. I fear though we'll be another step or 2 backwards by the time he goes, and players such as those named above will have little experience to their name in a years time, and we'll start from worse than scratch again.
[/QUOTE]

You are a bundle of joy and optimism.

Having said that, we are so screwed if Maguire is said to be the answer to any of our problems.

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 20 Mar 2019 at 10:48pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

We’ll beat Georgia and comfortably have more possession than them

We must be the only nation in Europe who rate Georgia as a football team. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:04pm
Working on the assumption that most here have watched our team play countless times over the past couple of years, watched a lot of our players play for their clubs plenty over the past couple of years, have followed Mick McCarthys career over the past couple of years - it is pure delusion to think that we will comfortably beat Georgia. To think that we will beat them by a few goals while playing eye catching football and dominating possession, jaysus that is another level of wacky tobaccy folks are on around here.

On Maguire. He is by far and away our most natural striker. Imo he could have a huge club career ahead of him yet, if he can just shake those feckin injuries. If he was to score a few goals for us and start 7/8 games before McCarthy goes I would be delighted. Stepping stones is all I'm looking for from McCarthys reign. I think it will be an absolute disaster myself, but if we can get a few positives like Maguire, Doherty and 1/2 others getting a few competitive games in by the time the manager moves on, I'll take that right now. We have little to no chance of qualifying out of this group.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:28am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Had some great nights though lads

2016 Euro’s was a great tournament for us.
In 20 years time people will look back on that through green tinted glasses and say it was a great time for Irish football.
The muck in qualifying will be ignored and the games against Germany will be remembered.

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:48am
Hans I wouldn't have an issue with Maguire starting against the Rock (and would be saving him for that level of opposition) but would prefer Collins for Georgia. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

We’ll beat Georgia and comfortably have more possession than them

We must be the only nation in Europe who rate Georgia as a football team. 

That's one for the unpopular opinion thread.

I think people are overestimating the improvements that Mick will be able to make. Yes, there is no question that the players should, and hopefully will, be encouraged to play some actual football instead of the style of play during the previous management team which resembled a puc fada competition.

But we had significantly better players back then, especially in midfield areas. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting a huge turnaround in playing style. A game against Gibraltar is not going to tell us much about this team's style of play during the qualifiers.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 7:05am
I think Glenn Whelan will start and Josh Cullen will come on in the last 20 or 30 minutes.

Sean Maguire will start.

I think Alan judge will probably start and Jack Byrne will definitely make an appearance. But I also wouldn't rule out Jack Byrne playing from the start.

anyone who thinks the performances over the next week are going to be anything like they were in the last two years is deluded and obviously has their soul beaten down to the ground by Martin O'Neill. We probably won't see balls pinging all over the pitch but I firmly believe we'll see performances that will be unrecognisable to the sh!te we had to watch the last 2 years.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:40am
My predictions are we will score at least 4 against Gibraltar and will beat Georgia by at least two goals at the Aviva and have at least 55% possession against them.

We can revisit this on Wednesday morning.

Its absurd how we view Georgia as some sort of footballing dark horse. Their results over the last few years have been sh*te.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:46am

My predictions are we will score at least 4 against Gibraltar and will beat Georgia by at least two goals at the Aviva and have at least 55% possession against them.

Its absurd how we view Georgia as some sort of footballing dark horse. Their results over the last few years have been sh*te.

Yes, they pretty much always lose. We've had our blip (the draw) against them, there really shouldn't be any surprises coming. We have more than enough to beat them.
We're decent enough..
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:47am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Yes, they pretty much always lose. We've had our blip (the draw) against them, there really shouldn't be any surprises coming. We have more than enough to beat them.

Well, they topped their nations league group with relative ease, although they were in league D. They are a tidy team that hold onto the ball well but always lack the cutting edge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 59>
  Share Topic