You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micks first eleven.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 59>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:33am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Compare his international performances to any of our midfielders over the last 5 years and you'll get the point.

He would have been sh!te in our team too. I firmly believe the profound affect MON had on (poor) player performance will come to light in Mick's tenure.

Sponsored Links

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:36am

Compare his international performances to any of our midfielders over the last 5 years and you'll get the point.

Hard to influence a game when the ball is flying over your head the majority of the game.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:44am
I hope I'm wrong but I think we will see plenty of direct football under mick also
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I hope I'm wrong but I think we will see plenty of direct football under mick also

Also? MON never played direct. There was never a cohesive plan or style.

Nothing wrong with playing direct given players available. Difference being Mick will have the players drilled to fook. Everyone knowing their place in the team and how best to optimise a direct style of play.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:57am
Anybody know when the final 23 man squad for Gib will be confirmed ?
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Anybody know when the final 23 man squad for Gib will be confirmed ?
I am assuming the day before they travel to Rockland
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:01pm
Next Sunday. I read the squad will be announced before the FAI awards.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Next Sunday. I read the squad will be announced before the FAI awards.
Deccy will hardly turn up to collect his player of the year award? 
Maybe he'll send us a live Insta post. It'd be some craic if he does it in an three lions shirt, but that would be rubbing it in and he's a decent guy, so I doubt it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

No problem with the lower level call ups as Mick hasn't had the luxury of end of season training camps, etc so will want to have a look at everyone. From looking at the provisional squad, it's quite obvious who will be cut from it. The remaining players just indicate the level we are at now. Hopefully, Mick will have them playing slightly better (he won't work miracles), and instill some belief in the players again.

People talking about NI's style of play. We don't have any one like Davis to make us tick, as PM has stated a few times. And I think it should be considered that despite their new attractive way of playing, they haven't had any success with it, albeit they were hard done by in the play-off.

The guy who can't a game ahead of Arfield, Jack and Kamara?
His legs have gone, which will have a huge impact on them. We have been crying out for a similar player for a long time though. We haven't a single midfielder who is confident on the ball or that can stamp their personality on the game.
It is why Rice would have made such a difference. 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

No problem with the lower level call ups as Mick hasn't had the luxury of end of season training camps, etc so will want to have a look at everyone. From looking at the provisional squad, it's quite obvious who will be cut from it. The remaining players just indicate the level we are at now. Hopefully, Mick will have them playing slightly better (he won't work miracles), and instill some belief in the players again.

People talking about NI's style of play. We don't have any one like Davis to make us tick, as PM has stated a few times. And I think it should be considered that despite their new attractive way of playing, they haven't had any success with it, albeit they were hard done by in the play-off.

His legs have gone, which will have a huge impact on them. We have been crying out for a similar player for a long time though. We haven't a single midfielder who is confident on the ball or that can stamp their personality on the game.

We had Wes Hoolahan - unfortunately he wasn't picked as often as he should have, anyway as mentioned on here before Davis would have been a non factor in our previous regime due to our style.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

We had Wes Hoolahan - unfortunately he wasn't picked as often as he should have, anyway as mentioned on here before Davis would have been a non factor in our previous regime due to our style.

We can't say that for sure. If you don't have a player like that you by-pass the midfield, I fully expect to be bypassed in this campaign too.

I am not going to reopen the debate on Wes, my thoughts on him are clear enough on him, but he was a different type of player to Davis.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

We can't say that for sure. If you don't have a player like that you by-pass the midfield, I fully expect to be bypassed in this campaign too.

I am not going to reopen the debate on Wes, my thoughts on him are clear enough on him, but he was a different type of player to Davis.

No one needs that but I have no doubt Wes could have influenced our play the same way Davis did for them, unfortunately he was not given enough opportunities to do so
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:28pm
Davis is a better player than Wes
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:48pm

Disagree 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 6:09pm

In fairness, Wes was a different type of player. Davis is a more complete midfielder, or was, I think that's the end of him. He was an unassuming player who was incredibly effective and consistent. I was always amazed by how calm he was on the ball and got sl*gged for saying so on here, but he was exactly what we needed for years and we still do. He is like James McCarthy without the injuries and the fear of going missing, or Glenn Whelan with natural fitness and drive!

Wes was a creative midfielder and little else. He certainly worked hard off the ball, something he wasn't given enough credit for, but he was still a bit of a luxury as he gave the ball away a lot. He probably should have been used more at times, but those who championed him seemed completely dismissive of the risk he brought to the team and not always a reward. He often tried passes that just weren't on and in the most dangerous of places. He was great to watch as a neutral but had my anxiety through the roof on several occasions. Dunphy getting on board saw him becoming the new Liam Brady, while simultaneously Glenn Whelan was made out to be some sort of impostor.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
I often have to stop and think when I hear this notion that Wes gave the ball away. The only match I can recall of him so loose in possession was Austria away in 2016. The team should have been built around him for a decade. Underrated
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

I often have to stop and think when I hear this notion that Wes gave the ball away. The only match I can recall of him so loose in possession was Austria away in 2016. The team should have been built around him for a decade. Underrated
It wasn't so much the regularity with which he gave it away, but the areas and times he gave it away. He was a disaster for trying unnecessarily risky passes at the wrong times and places. He certainly had ability, nobody is disputing that, but he must be the most overrated player to play for Ireland,with the possible exception of Duff who was average for huge chunks of his Irish career. The difference with Wes was the less he played the better he got.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:42pm

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

It wasn't so much the regularity with which he gave it away, but the areas and times he gave it away. He was a disaster for trying unnecessarily risky passes at the wrong times and places. He certainly had ability, nobody is disputing that, but he must be the most overrated player to play for Ireland,with the possible exception of Duff who was average for huge chunks of his Irish career. The difference with Wes was the less he played the better he got.

In that one match! He was excellent the previous campaign, especially at home to Ze Germans. He should be on the €20 note
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 59>
  Share Topic