Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micks first eleven.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 59>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Any combination of two from Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in the same midfield will be absolutely exposed at international level.

We'll get away with it against Gibraltar but against Georgia I'm not so sure.

The three lads are all very similar players from my viewing of them and you can only afford to play one of them if your team is likely to struggle for possession.

The midfield for these games should contain both Whelan and Arter with one of Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in front of them.
Arter has been awful at international level, I have seen nothing to suggest he won't be exposed. We would be as well off without a midfield!

In fairness, every midfielder has been awful at international level. The MON affect. 

I fully expect to see an unrecognisable (yet unspectacular) performance from the Irish midfield. 
Or it might because they aren't very good! I expect us to struggle to keep the ball against Georgia (again).

Personally, I think that theory is bollocks. We had a crop of decent midfielders sent out on to the pitch with no game plan, and usually not playing in their best position, forced to watch balls sail over their head. A  confidence sapping combination that. Not to mention, you have a manager who continuously (publically) questioned the quality of player at his disposal. 

Final nail in confidence coffin was a right back (with no midfield experience)  being deemed a better option than a midfielder...in midfielder.

Mick will get a substantially better performance from these players. No doubt. 

I expect there to be much more tactical clarity under Mick than in the last year or more of MON and by that I mean less aimless punts up the pitch, for the midfield to keep a tighter shape without the ball and for us to be better with set-pieces. 

You can certainly question the logic of publicly questioning the ability of the players available, but there is no way of sugarcoating the limitations  of those midfielders. Denmark, the team we are supposed to be trying to finish above have Delaney, Schone, Hojbjerg  and Eriksen. We have to accept the realities of the situation.
I understand football fans need hope, but some sort of rationality needs to be kept.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:40pm
I totally agree with that PM, but much of our difficulty came from
The way we played and set up from the Neil Taylor red card in Dublin. The gap between the midfield and forward line against Austria, the “hold what we have in Georgia”, and the second half against Denmark, which was made worse by the emaciation of the midfield. Last year, I’m not sure we had 10 shots on target over the whole season, and some selections were bizarre.

We ain’t going to be world beaters, but there is a lot to be said for letting a team play, because a conservative style with weak players is going to be quickly found out.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:41pm

Any combination of two from Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in the same midfield will be absolutely exposed at international level.

The three lads are all very similar players from my viewing of them and you can only afford to play one of them if your team is likely to struggle for possession.

The midfield for these games should contain both Whelan and Arter with one of Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in front of them.
Arter has been awful at international level, I have seen nothing to suggest he won't be exposed. We would be as well off without a midfield!

In fairness, every midfielder has been awful at international level. The MON affect. 

I fully expect to see an unrecognisable (yet unspectacular) performance from the Irish midfield. 
Or it might because they aren't very good! I expect us to struggle to keep the ball against Georgia (again).

Personally, I think that theory is bollocks. We had a crop of decent midfielders sent out on to the pitch with no game plan, and usually not playing in their best position, forced to watch balls sail over their head. A  confidence sapping combination that. Not to mention, you have a manager who continuously (publically) questioned the quality of player at his disposal. 

Final nail in confidence coffin was a right back (with no midfield experience)  being deemed a better option than a midfielder...in midfielder.

I expect there to be much more tactical clarity under Mick than in the last year or more of MON and by that I mean less aimless punts up the pitch, for the midfield to keep a tighter shape without the ball and for us to be better with set-pieces. 

You can certainly question the logic of publicly questioning the ability of the players available, but there is no way of sugarcoating the limitations  of those midfielders. Denmark, the team we are supposed to be trying to finish above have Delaney, Schone, Hojbjerg  and Eriksen. We have to accept the realities of the situation.
I understand football fans need hope, but some sort of rationality needs to be kept.

Arguably the worst thing about Rice declaring for England is that he is almost purpose made for disrupting the likes of Eriksen from playing just behind the striker.

We would of had a half decent chance in midfield with him there breaking up the play and keeping the ball.

None of our midfielders are any good on the ball and none of them have any physical attributes that make them unpleasant to play against. 

We've no pace, no physical strength and no nastiness in the spine of the team.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:44pm

The worst crop of midfielders we've had in the 30 years I've been supporting Ireland. I won't deny that, but they're not THAT bad. 

I refuse to believe those players are as bad as what we witnessed the last 2 years. And while these players will never be world beaters, I have every confidence that Mick will prove what a complete spoofer O'Neill was. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

McCarthy confirms that both Curtis and Browne are out of the squad. Replacements to be named tomorrow.

What was the point in naming them in the 23 then

Perhaps that squad was given last night or this morning and a member of the FAI medical team was sent to assess them and came back with an update after the squad was announced .

Any links to Mick confirming btw

Edited by lassassinblanc - 14 Mar 2019 at 4:52pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:54pm
I am still of the opinion that we hype our players up to irrational levels.Perhaps I am the opposite, but I think our midfield is awful, certainly in comparison with our opponents. There isn't a technically competent player or passer amongst them. Not one of them are capable of putting their foot on the ball and taking the sting out of the game, even the lads in the Championship. I have always been a fan of Glenn Whelan, someone I see as much maligned and underrated footballer, but he shouldn't still be in the squad at 35. At the same time, he is still  the most suitable of all those midfielders in the squad for international football and should probably start.
Cry

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:59pm
I actually think that’s a reason to credit McCarthy. I was no fan of retiring players and Whelan never struck me as ready to go. If he is the only player who can fulfil that role, MM has identified that. Unfortunately, it looked like we had an obvious choice, who is no longer interested or eligible.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I actually think that’s a reason to credit McCarthy. I was no fan of retiring players and Whelan never struck me as ready to go. If he is the only player who can fulfil that role, MM has identified that. Unfortunately, it looked like we had an obvious choice, who is no longer interested or eligible.

I reckon MON was banking on Rice staying when he pushed Whelan to "retire". If he was still in charge Id say he'd have been too stubborn to call Whelan up and persist with a crocked McCarthy who hasnt played any first team ball in over a year with injury.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:07pm
Don’t forget Valo, he was playing Christie in midfield at the conclusion of his tenure.

I actually think the Christie omission is an example of a break with the old.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:16pm

I am still of the opinion that we hype our players up to irrational levels.Perhaps I am the opposite, but I think our midfield is awful, certainly in comparison with our opponents. There isn't a technically competent player or passer amongst them. Not one of them are capable of putting their foot on the ball and taking the sting out of the game, even the lads in the Championship. I have always been a fan of Glenn Whelan, someone I see as much maligned and underrated footballer, but he shouldn't still be in the squad at 35. At the same time, he is still  the most suitable of all those midfielders in the squad for international football and should probably start.

I agree with all your points. We have a very poor midfield. Georgia, Switzerland and Denmark will be licking their lips.
The only way is up
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:07pm

Don’t forget Valo, he was playing Christie in midfield at the conclusion of his tenure.

While been played out of position Christie still a better MIDFIELDER  than Arter , Browne , Whelan and one or two others... Think he can feel hard done by in been left out
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:13pm
Don’t agree. Some of those games were some of the most abjectly poor Irish performances in recent memory. Christian Eriksen’s comments in November made miserable reading.

Also, Whelan and Arter and different types of players amongst themselves and further different to Christie.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

While been played out of position Christie still a better MIDFIELDER  than Arter , Browne , Whelan and one or two others... Think he can feel hard done by in been left out

Such bull.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Such bull.
Your missing my point. While clearly out of his depth in midfield at this level Christie showed more wiliness to get on the ball and attempt to pass it than the other players I mentioned in the couple of games he played there.... and Hourihane can f**k off too.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:49pm
I think we can infer several things from the squad announcement as to the likely composition and structure of the team Mick's likely to field. Firstly, Christie's omission seems to suggest that it'll be either Coleman or Doherty at right-back and he isn't going to play both on the right flank. This means one of our better players, probably Young Doherty, by some way the outstanding Irish player this season, is going to be left out of the starting line-up.

The fact that he's named just three centre-halves with Ward dropping out means we'll probably be playing with a flat back four with Stevens at left-back.

We know Mick will go with five in midfield and one up top because he's already said as much. Whelan at 35 isn't being brought back go sit on the bench, and is in all probability going to start as the first-choice holding midfielder. In fairness he's still the best of what's available to us in this role. Mick's enthusing over Judge I think says he's got a good chance of being in the starting XI, for his set pieces if nothing else. If he doesn't make it at least one of Hourihane or Brady will for the same reason.

McGoldrick's relationship with Mick allied to his form this season means he'll likely start, though not as number 9 up front on his own as some on here seem to think. He's more of a link player, and will probably play behind Maguire or Long.

All supposition, but I'd imagine the team will look more or less something like this:

Randolph

Coleman        Duffy             Keogh        Stevens

Whelan         Hendrick

Judge        McGoldrick        O'Dowda

Maguire

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
I think Mick will pick something along the lines of :  

Randolph

Coleman Duffy Keogh Doherty

Arter  Whelan

Brady   Hendrick     McClean

Long
The only way is up
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:28pm
If Bamford got a call from England, you can guarantee he wouldn't be postponing anything.

There seems to be a collective Stockholm syndrome amongst some fans in Ireland. Bottom line: If an international call up is refused in anyway or delayed... Endgame. 

Fook Bamford. Won't even get near the squad when Kenny takes over anyway.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I think Mick will pick something along the lines of :  

Randolph

Coleman Duffy Keogh Doherty

Arter  Whelan

Brady   Hendrick     McClean

Long

No way. O dowda has to play in form. Mcgoldrick i think deserves a chance and id like to see maguire up there aswell.  Against gibraltar i think we could possibly include hourihane aswel. Good at set pieces and creative. Dont think we need hendrick arter and whelan in theone team esp against gibraltar. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 59>
  Share Topic