You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micks first eleven.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 59>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:46pm
Six defenders and five strikers seems a bit strange. Does that mean that we can rule out playing five at the back? Would seem to suggest that.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Possible team without injured Curtis and Browne

Randy
Coleman Duffy  Egan  Doherty
Arter 
Hendrick   Hourihane
O'Dowda                        Brady
Long

Not too shabby.

I think MICK will go for Judge and Maguire. Also swap Browne for Hourihane if fit.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:50pm
Maybe form wise he may go for McGoldrick
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:52pm
Any combination of two from Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in the same midfield will be absolutely exposed at international level.

We'll get away with it against Gibraltar but against Georgia I'm not so sure.

The three lads are all very similar players from my viewing of them and you can only afford to play one of them if your team is likely to struggle for possession.

The midfield for these games should contain both Whelan and Arter with one of Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in front of them.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Six defenders and five strikers seems a bit strange. Does that mean that we can rule out playing five at the back? Would seem to suggest that.
It would suggest the opposite. The normal breakdown of the outfield players in these squads is 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and four forwards, or possibly 8-7-5. 

The fact that two of the six are more proficient at wing-back means it can't be ruled out entirely based on the squad alone. However, given his interviews and based on his past tactical preferences, as well as a lack of squad depth in the area, it would seem very unlikely.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Any combination of two from Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in the same midfield will be absolutely exposed at international level.

The three lads are all very similar players from my viewing of them and you can only afford to play one of them if your team is likely to struggle for possession.

The midfield for these games should contain both Whelan and Arter with one of Browne/Hendrick/Hourihane in front of them.
Arter has been awful at international level, I have seen nothing to suggest he won't be exposed. We would be as well off without a midfield!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Arter has been awful at international level, I have seen nothing to suggest he won't be exposed. We would be as well off without a midfield!

In fairness, every midfielder has been awful at international level. The MON affect. 

I fully expect to see an unrecognisable (yet unspectacular) performance from the Irish midfield. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:06pm

The fact that two of the six are more proficient at wing-back means it can't be ruled out entirely based on the squad alone. However, given his interviews and based on his past tactical preferences, as well as a lack of squad depth in the area, it would seem very unlikely.
Yeah, but then where is the cover? If the plan was to play with three centre halves and wing backs you'd hardly pick a squad with just four centre halves and two wing backs.

As you say it was unlikely given his past preferences, but I think it can be pretty definitively ruled out on the basis of that squad.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:06pm
I think a more open style of play will beat Georgia. September 2017’s game had a lot to do with the way the team was set up.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

In fairness, every midfielder has been awful at international level. The MON affect. 

I fully expect to see an unrecognisable (yet unspectacular) performance from the Irish midfield. 
Or it might because they aren't very good! I expect us to struggle to keep the ball against Georgia (again).
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:09pm

I agree, he's been very poor but is still probably our second best midfielder behind Whelan.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Yeah, but then where is the cover? If the plan was to play with three centre halves and wing backs you'd hardly pick a squad with just four centre halves and two wing backs.

As you say it was unlikely given his past preferences, but I think it can be pretty definitively ruled out on the basis of that squad.

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were suggesting he could play a back five, I would agree that it is highly unlikely. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:11pm

I agree, he's been very poor but is still probably our second best midfielder behind Whelan.
The most depressing sentence in the history of Irish football!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:16pm
McCarthy confirms that both Curtis and Browne are out of the squad. Replacements to be named tomorrow.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:22pm

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Or it might because they aren't very good! I expect us to struggle to keep the ball against Georgia (again).

Personally, I think that theory is bollocks. We had a crop of decent midfielders sent out on to the pitch with no game plan, and usually not playing in their best position, forced to watch balls sail over their head. A  confidence sapping combination that. Not to mention, you have a manager who continuously (publically) questioned the quality of player at his disposal. 

Final nail in confidence coffin was a right back (with no midfield experience)  being deemed a better option than a midfielder...in midfielder.

Mick will get a substantially better performance from these players. No doubt. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:26pm

McCarthy confirms that both Curtis and Browne are out of the squad. Replacements to be named tomorrow.

What was the point in naming them in the 23 then
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:30pm
can always call in Christie for browne...both play center mid LOL
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Possible team without injured Curtis and Browne

Randy
Coleman Duffy  Egan  Doherty
Arter 
Hendrick   Hourihane
O'Dowda                        Brady
Long

Not too shabby.

I think stevens should be in and it sounds like mick thinks so too. i like the look of this generally but id be more happy with stevens lb, Doherty where o'dowda is, and o'dowda where brady is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 59>
  Share Topic