You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 31>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Pauric Fanning has got his P45 

Only surprise is it took as long. That's the easy bit done from the CB's point of view, the next part is the difficult bit. Still think it needs an outsider, whoever the next manager is could do without the handful of ex-Mt Sion lads settling old scores v social media. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:49am
What’s their gripe deise?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:45pm
Style of play, though DMG's style of play, even though he is gone a year. There is a narrative around here, not unconnected to TSG ''analysis'' over the past few years that DMG/sweeper etc ''held us back'' - you would be surprised so many believe it, despite the actual evidence suggesting all our forwards struggle to win aerial ball and actually have poor goalscoring records at championship level. 

It is also connected to winning the U21 in 2016 in some style, but I've always contended that it was a relatively weak championship that year, and besides that, no senior team plays like a U21/20 team anyway, the opposition don't allow you to at that level. The likes of Ken McGrath believe this & is not slow to say so, while Brian Flannery & Pat Fanning (Pauric's father) have local newspaper columns where much the same is said. 

It was said this year that the players 'struggled to get used to new system, and so went back to the old one in various games, and didn't carry out either plan properly' - I think it may have been Brendan Cummins on TSG who first suggested it. Basically, attaching blame to DMGs style of play for our desperate performances this year, even though he was no longer manager. I don't believe the players struggled with any new game plan, I think it was obvious enough they either didn't know what it was in the first place (I certainly didn't, and I was at all the games bar Cork), or didn't believe in it. 

What I meant for a new Waterford manager is that if it was someone from inside the county, they would continue to be the focus for that type of negative comment if the style of play wasn't to their liking, an outsider would probably get away with it & not really give a feck anyway.

In general, there is a disconnect from the 'new' hurling & those that actually play it and the public & most of the TSG analysis. Popular opinion after last weeks TSG seems to be that DMG & Cusack were talking rubbish, yet theirs are the names being linked with vacant IC jobs in Waterford, Cork, Westmeath & possibly Wexford, Davy will have no shortage of offers if he does leave Wexford, while nobody is looking for Ken, Duignan or Loughnane, despite them being the lads allegedly talking sense. 

Don't really get it meself, if say, Howard Wilkinson popped up and criticised Pochettino or Klopp for not winning the league or said their theories on styles of play were rubbish, he would be laughed out of it, and not just by Spurs & Liverpool fans. Loughnane won 2 AIs a quarter of a century ago, but popular opinion is that he's the one talking sense, while 2 lads involved in IC coaching last year are talking rubbish. 

Whatever the truth of it, what these newer coaches have been able to do is persuade their players they are worth listening to. Paul Galvin is after getting the Wexford football job on the back of nothing much more than his ST football column, in which he showed himself to also be something of a thinker on that game. Doesn't do any harm that he has loads of medals and a media profile as well, but he has the job because whatever he was writing made enough sense to the relevant people in Wexford, whether that was players or CB men or both. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 8:54pm
Colm Bonnor the first rumour for the Wateford job ive heard

Dont think it would be a great appointment even though he had Carlow playing good stuff and would knw a lot of the players through WIT. He wasant great with Wexford and was selector in a different era in Waterford hurling. He won a club All Ireland with Ballyhale but apperently the same managment was wanted by Ballygunner but the players refused ??. 

Dont think he would get the best out of the Waterford players. Hard to knw but he could be available as Carlow are back in the Joe Mcdonagh for 2020 and in Grp B of the League Divison 1 

DJ Carey rulled out as he doesnt want to manage outside of Kilkenny

Derek back ??? 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 12:18am
Heard absolutely nothing, I'd say keep an eye on the betting markets, especially if someone not currently listed makes a sudden appearance. ''Somebody'' allegedly lost a nice few quid on Pat Ryan last year, who was thought to have the job before pulling out due to (genuine) personal reasons, that ''somebody'' might want to make their money back this time around.....Wink

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 12:38am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Davy & DMG seem to have borne the brunt of the sweeper criticism, but quite simply, they rarely had the players at their disposal, or at least not enough of them, to go & take on KK/Tipp at their own game, so adapted. Criticised by al those who wear the traditionalist caps. Cork have been ticking away at their own traditional game for the last decade, winning no AI's, but get little criticism for it, instead only this lazy narrative after they lose that they are 'soft' , which might be even worse criticism in a way- why would any hurler born in Cork be 'softer' than any other county ? And would they have a better chance if coached by a more defensive manager ? Why aren't these things ever themes of TSG ? 

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

In general, there is a disconnect from the 'new' hurling & those that actually play it and the public & most of the TSG analysis. Popular opinion after last weeks TSG seems to be that DMG & Cusack were talking rubbish, yet theirs are the names being linked with vacant IC jobs in Waterford, Cork, Westmeath & possibly Wexford, Davy will have no shortage of offers if he does leave Wexford, while nobody is looking for Ken, Duignan or Loughnane, despite them being the lads allegedly talking sense. 

Pa Horgan was interviewed during the week while collecting more awards, and had some stuff to say on the above subjects. 

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/patrick-horgan-hurling-tactics-kilkenny-415391

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/patrick-horgan-strikes-back-at-know-it-all-hurling-pundits-1.3979929

By the way, the 'know it all hurling pundits' he was disagreeing with weren't Donal Og or DMG. Quoted as saying that Cusack, “tries to dig into it as much as he can up there, get a bit modern rather than, like, get out the paddy caps and just say, ‘Oh, it’s brilliant’. The more analysts doing proper analysis, the better.”

I would suspect that is reasonably reflective of the average IC hurler's opinions of analysis today, the bit I'm struggling with for years is why the public don't seem to want it, not if the anti social media is a reliable gauge (which it probably isn't). 

foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:21pm
Ticket demand seemingly a lot higher than 2016 (last Tipp KK final),bagged a pair of hill tickets. Not ideal but beggars can't be choosers 
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 2:52pm
from the hoganstand

At 12 noon next Sunday on Talbot street in Dublin, there will be a commemoration in honour of Tipperary man Sean Treacy, He was mortally wounded there.This is a great occasion and happens every time Tipperary are in the final,all are welcome,not just Tipperary folk,but all gaels, especially our great rivals from Kilkenny, it really sets the tone for the day.
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 4:43pm

Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

from the hoganstand

At 12 noon next Sunday on Talbot street in Dublin, there will be a commemoration in honour of Tipperary man Sean Treacy, He was mortally wounded there.This is a great occasion and happens every time Tipperary are in the final,all are welcome,not just Tipperary folk,but all gaels, especially our great rivals from Kilkenny, it really sets the tone for the day.
I am sure Clichy is booking a flight as I type...

Edited by pre Madonna - 13 Aug 2019 at 4:43pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

from the hoganstand

I am sure Clichy is booking a flight as I type...
It will be a windy occasion for sure. 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:46pm
Jaysus the ‘jokes’ are getting better by the day. In stitches here.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:48am
Tickets for the Hill €45 went on General Sale, 4 per person! All gone now of course.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:10am

Tickets for the Hill €45 went on General Sale, 4 per person! All gone now of course.
How fat are hurling fans!? 

That one is especially for you, Reddladd.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:11pm
Sorry PM, a bit of a whoosh on that one i'm afraid.

At 4 per person the touts will have a field day on Sunday although if tickets are plentiful enough they might be left holding a few.
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Sorry PM, a bit of a whoosh on that one i'm afraid.

At 4 per person the touts will have a field day on Sunday although if tickets are plentiful enough they might be left holding a few.

Plenty of Hill/Nally floating about but not as much stand tickets, I'd say tomorrow there will be plenty come available. Tipp and Kilkenny just don't have the travelling numbers, cant see touts making much off it.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:29pm
DMG after throwing his hat in the ring for the Waterford job 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:45pm

What time did they go on sale? 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

What time did they go on sale? 

They were on sale again for the Nally after lunch and I missed themCry

https://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/302852

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 31>
  Share Topic