You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Golf Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 51>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

The only way we, Europe, have a chance is if our top players produce their best golf.

We need McIlroy, Rahm, Hovland and Fitzpatrick to deliver.

That's kinda how a team competition works!

Not really. The Ryder Cup often has unsung heroes who deliver instead of the star players. Woods doesn't have a good Ryder Cup record.

Poulter played beyond his usual level many times. Lowry could do the same. Maybe Strakha.

The difference between the two continents is so vast this time around, that we simply can't afford to carry anyone.

I honestly don't think the difference is that big (not just because the bookies think the same). 
On world rankings Lowry won't be the unsung hero, it would be somebody like MacIntyre even though he comfortably qualified. I think Europe have a great chance of winning as I don't think these rookies will take the pressure on too much. They could easily be a difference maker.

Lowry wasn't playing well until about a month ago. He didn't perform 2 years ago either. So I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a major factor. That could work to his advantage.

USA aren't really carrying any weak players. Sam Burns is probably their weakest player, yet he's ranked #20 in the world. Cameron Young was more deserving, but Burns is best friends with Scheffler.

What we have in our favour is that it's in Europe in a country that many of Team USA's players won't have played in. We also have the motivation after that humiliation 2 years ago. Europe are very proud of their home record. They won't want to let that change now.

USA have good camaraderie, which hasn't always been the case. The European players have often benefitted from their closeness and passion, which America have lacked at time. Woods and Mickelson bickering, players playing as individuals, etc. 

So I think it will go down to the wire on Sunday.

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Europe will win comfortably i think
I'd say the same for the yanks
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 3:27pm
PP doing a playcard special of Europe at 4/1 (max €10).
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 3:54pm
0635: Jon Rahm (Esp) and Tyrrell Hatton (Eng) vs Scottie Scheffler and Sam Burns.

0650: Viktor Hovland (Nor) and Ludvig Åberg (Swe) vs Brian Harman and Max Homa.

0705: Shane Lowry (Irl) and Sepp Straka (Aut) vs Rickie Fowler and Collin Morikawa.

0720: Rory McIlroy (NIrl) and Tommy Fleetwood (Eng) vs Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay.

Some great match ups there

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

0635: Jon Rahm (Esp) and Tyrrell Hatton (Eng) vs Scottie Scheffler and Sam Burns.

0705: Shane Lowry (Irl) and Sepp Straka (Aut) vs Rickie Fowler and Collin Morikawa.

0720: Rory McIlroy (NIrl) and Tommy Fleetwood (Eng) vs Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay.

I'd take 2-2 from this.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Some average one’s too.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 4:56pm
Don’t see Europe losing this session. Can them winning 3
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Don’t see Europe losing this session. Can them winning 3
My take on the matchups

0635: Jon Rahm (Esp) and Tyrrell Hatton (Eng) vs Scottie Scheffler and Sam Burns.- 
Strong start here from both teams Scheffler obviously number 1 in the world and good company for the rookie Burns. Rahm and Hatton supposedly worked very well in practice sessions think they'll just edge it.

This one has the potential to be a classic the two nordics should work well together against two us rookies. Aberg for me us going to be the breakout star of this ryder Cup, think its a win for Europe here 

This would be the only one I'd give US the edge on can see them picking up the win in this one.

Will probably say even here but depends on what McIlroy and Fleetwood show up 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 6:32am
The Ryder Cup crowd up there with the worst in sport 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 6:55am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Imagine if they sing zombie 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 8:04am
Good start by Lowry so far. Good start in general.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 8:18am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

That applies to all golf events.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 9:37am
American’s messed up sending Sam Burns out first, he’s been in poor form recently! Europeans would have been delighted seeing him instead of Koepka or Spieth.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 9:52am
Lowry and Straka are starting to wobble a bit.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 10:59am
Great morning. Had a few euro on winning all 4 at 18/1 which will pay for a few pints later.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 11:02am
Clean sweep this morning.

Fair play to McIlroy and Fleetwood. It looked like they might bottle it, but they held their nerve. That's a huge psychological blow. Beating America's best pairing who were undefeated until now.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 11:07am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Europe will win comfortably i think
I'd say the same for the yanks

Its coming home 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 11:12am
Great start 

Afternoon four balls 

11.25am: Viktor Hovland / Tyrrell Hatton v Justin Thomas / Jordan Spieth
11.40am: Jon Rahm / Nicolai Hojgaard v Scottie Scheffler / Brooks Koepka
11.55am: Robert McIntyre / Justin Rose v Max Homa / Wyndham Clark
12.10pm: Rory McIlroy / Matt Fitzpatrick v Collin Morikawa / Xander Schauffele
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 51>
  Share Topic