You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Golf Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 51>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:36am
I have not read much on this yet since yesterday. Will there still be seperate tours though or is everyone merging again with more money and different locations etc?
I love beer gardens
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Interesting to see McElroys statment in afternoon, he turned down 400m from these lads, and now been thrown under a bus, made to look a fool

Essentially the Saudis have just bought an entire sport WTAF

In all the years Rory McIlroy's name has been plastered over the sporting world media, why on earth would you start to spell it McElroy LOLLOL

Always bemuses me that sort of stuff

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:52am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I have not read much on this yet since yesterday. Will there still be seperate tours though or is everyone merging again with more money and different locations etc?

They are merging into one entity and the Saudis are the sole investors as they are the only ones putting capital into the merger(supposedly 3bn dollars). They will have exclusive rights and first refusal of any future foreign investment so essentially have full control.

Any players who defected to LIV will be allowed to return to the PGA tours but will have to pay a fine seemly(but also allowed to keep the LIV payment).

So essentially the Saudis will own new entity that owns all commercial and business interests across golf, basically owning golf.

The PGA will have majority of the board but the Saudis will own the board.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 07 Jun 2023 at 11:52am
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

They are merging into one entity and the Saudis are the sole investors as they are the only ones putting capital into the merger(supposedly 3bn dollars). They will have exclusive rights and first refusal of any future foreign investment so essentially have full control.

Any players who defected to LIV will be allowed to return to the PGA tours but will have to pay a fine seemly(but also allowed to keep the LIV payment).

So essentially the Saudis will own new entity that owns all commercial and business interests across golf, basically owning golf.

Ok all good information Clap..but but will LIV Tour still exist alongside the PGA tour after 2023? I can't seem to find an exact answer to that online. It just says players on the LIV can re-apply for membership of the PGA tour. 
I love beer gardens
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:26pm

Ok all good information Clap..but but will LIV Tour still exist alongside the PGA tour after 2023? I can't seem to find an exact answer to that online. It just says players on the LIV can re-apply for membership of the PGA tour. 

Nobody knows how it will be.  Not even the players.  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:27pm
If they have bought the entire sport then the only morale thing for players to do is move to the Irish Pitch & Putt circuit. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:46pm
The DOJ in the US might have something to say about all of this. My understanding is that the LIV lot were required to register as foreign agents due to Saudi Arabia owning them. There is also a strong likelihood that this is a distraction from Trump’s imminent indictments but could not survive evidence of money laundering and/or the sale of classified information to the Saudis and others.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:46pm

According to what I've read so far, there will be no real change to the PGA tours and will still be branded as such but I'm sure there'll be big tournaments in the Saudi region. No one really knows wether LIV and PGA will coexist or be an amalgamation of such. It'll be at least weeks before that's all thrashed out I would imagine.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The DOJ in the US might have something to say about all of this. My understanding is that the LIV lot were required to register as foreign agents due to Saudi Arabia owning them. There is also a strong likelihood that this is a distraction from Trump’s imminent indictments but could not survive evidence of money laundering and/or the sale of classified information to the Saudis and others.

The DOJ will certainly be keeping an eye on it as has been investigating the PGA and LIV for a while now with collusion into world rankings etc. The Saudis having essentially a monopoly is going to turn a few heads.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 1:22pm
I'm not sure this can go through as the players basically are involved int he running of their tour and this lad Jay Monahan has taken it upon himself to make the decision himself while consulting absolutely nobody.  I'm not sure he can do that without it going to a vote.

Lets just say the Saudi bid moved him.   To a bigger house!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 1:53pm
LIV won’t exist if this goes ahead. It looks like LIV never really mattered and it was just an “in” for the Saudis. What they really wanted is the sport. 
Loads of other sports are ripe for the same sort of break up/takeover 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 8:00pm
A lot of talk about some sort of legacy payment to golfers like Mcllroy because they missed out on the Saudi money. They had the chance to switch and they didn’t why should they get money now.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 2:53am
It's mad that some idea to get into golf and 4 years later you practically own the damn sport.

Don't the stakeholders get a say in all this? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 11:25pm
Rory not f**king around so far, didn’t do any press this week either. Say he’s angry about the whole thing and would love to win this.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Rory not f**king around so far, didn’t do any press this week either. Say he’s angry about the whole thing and would love to win this.

He’ll end up level par for the day when we wake up in the morning LOL
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 12:40am
The DOJ in the USA has announced that it is investigating the LIV/PGA merger. A number of political representatives from the Democratic Party have also raised issues about it in Congress. This is not over yet.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

He’ll end up level par for the day when we wake up in the morning LOL
Almost spot on....almost
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
ccfc1984rebel View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfc1984rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 11:18am
Be a great story if Ricky can pull this off, here’s hoping for a big Saturday and Sunday 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 51>
  Share Topic