You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia-Switzerland double header

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Poll Question: When are you flying to Switzerland?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [16.36%]
34 [61.82%]
12 [21.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia-Switzerland double header
    Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:51pm
For those of you that are doing the double header, when are you flying to Switzerland?

I'm heading out to Georgia on the Wednesday, with the match being on the Saturday I'm torn on when to head to Switzerland.

An extra night in Switzerland is working out pricey and I reckon Georgia is the nicer of the two places to be in between games but if there is barely anyone left around Tbilisi by that stage it might be worth it.

Whats everyone's plan?
Sponsored Links

Jasonic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:59pm
Heading to Georgia on Thursday but travelling to the moon and back to get there, so don't arrive until Friday. Haven't booked a flight out yet but plan on going to Milan and staying Sunday night there before heading to land of the cuckoo clock on the Monday.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:04pm
Flying Kutaisi to Milan on Monday 14 October for €65 (wizzair). Flight is 16:00, landing 20:25. It's still that sort of price.

Booked a twin room in a hotel in Milan for €90 for the night (€45pp), right across from the train station.

Train to Zurich or Bern is €29, Basel or Geneva is €39, on the Tuesday; I'll book that much closer to the time.

I think we'll likely get the train from Tbilisi to Kutaisi on Sunday 13 and spend the night there. It was dirt cheap the last time we were there. Like 50c a beer cheap.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 06 Dec 2018 at 5:06pm
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:14pm
Thinking of the same Itinerary as SD, I'll definitely stay a night in some European city between the 2.

What was Kutaisi like the last time for those who were there?
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:15pm
Tblisi to Switzerland on the Monday, think we arrive midday. Wanted to go day before game, as matchday that's alot of traveling. Plus extra day, in case things goes tits up traveling wise... I've missed odd flight or two Embarrassed
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:16pm
what a f**king ridiculous thread Confused
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Thinking of the same Itinerary as SD, I'll definitely stay a night in some European city between the 2.

An absolute sh*thole with mad taxi drivers and very few pubs. But you only need to find one and if there are a crowd of us, they'll stay open.
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Not really, just making sure that my stay in Switzerland isn't too short.
It can be very frustrating when things are too short.
Am I right?

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:38pm

Stayed a night in kutaisi last time round, never been in a cheaper city, private room with ensuite at starhostel cost me €9, drank in pub barcelona for about ,.80cent a pint. National sports m is located in kutaisi too, you will need a group of ye to stay to have some sort of craic because after 9pm the place is fairly lifeless (midweek anyway).

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 06 Dec 2018 at 11:37pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by GreenArmy! GreenArmy! wrote:

Am I right?

Ouch LOLLOLLOL

GA land late Thursday leave early Monday to Basel 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Joybhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:52pm

Not much going on there. Is ok for a stopover but wouldn't want to be spending too much time there
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by GreenArmy! GreenArmy! wrote:

Am I right?

So you created a thread because you couldn't make up your own mind whether your stay in Switzerland is too short? so you decide to ask random people on the internet for advice by setting a poll? are you thick?

whats next..... a thread and poll wondering is your trip too short in Gibraltar because you don't know whether to fly to Malaga or Faro and whether to rent a car or bus. Confused

Everyone's flight information is either in the Tbilisi thread or the Swiss thread. 

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 06 Dec 2018 at 6:27pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Flying Kutaisi to Milan on Monday 14 October for €65 (wizzair). Flight is 16:00, landing 20:25. It's still that sort of price.

Booked a twin room in a hotel in Milan for €90 for the night (€45pp), right across from the train station.

Train to Zurich or Bern is €29, Basel or Geneva is €39, on the Tuesday; I'll book that much closer to the time.

I think we'll likely get the train from Tbilisi to Kutaisi on Sunday 13 and spend the night there. It was dirt cheap the last time we were there. Like 50c a beer cheap.

Have you decided against the Bernina express? I'm mad to see what it's like. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I did it a couple of years ago. It is spectacular.

Also, the flight only lands in Milan the Monday evening before the match. You can't get to Basel on time on the match day (Tuesday) if you go via the Bernina Express. If you want to go that way, you'll need to fly to Milan on the Sunday. You'll probably have to get like a 6am flight though, from Tbilisi to Istanbul to Milan Bergamo, with Pegasus.

There is another option: fly from Kutaisi to Roma on the Sunday, leaving 16:00, landing 18:20. You then have a good while to get from the airport to Roma Termini (30m ride, train every 15m). Then there is a night train to Milan Porta Garibaldi station, leaving 23:55 arriving 07:12. That train is €50 for a couchette, €70 for a bed in a 3 bed compartment. That gives plenty of time to get across to Milano Centrale for the 10:10 to Tirano, arriving 12:52, giving an hour and a half for lunch before the 14:25 Bernina Express. The bus to Kutaisi leaves Tbilisi at 9am, which is a bit better than having to be at the airport for 5am for an early flight.

If you want to book it, make sure you book it from Tirano to Germany via Basel with Deutsche Bahn, even if you don't use the section beyond Basel. That is easily the cheapest way from Tirano to Basel. Also make sure you book the Bernina express, the one leaving Tirano at 14:25 direct to Chur. You can book the seat reservation for the panorama coach separately for like €15 extra. It is probably worth it.

I'd probably still go with the early morning Tbilisi - Istanbul - Milan option on the Sunday with Pegasus, a night there, then onto Switzerland on Monday via the Bernina, if you do want to do it.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:34pm

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I did it a couple of years ago. It is spectacular.

Also, the flight only lands in Milan the Monday evening before the match. You can't get to Basel on time on the match day (Tuesday) if you go via the Bernina Express. If you want to go that way, you'll need to fly to Milan on the Sunday. You'll probably have to get like a 6am flight though, from Tbilisi to Istanbul to Milan Bergamo, with Pegasus.

There is another option: fly from Kutaisi to Roma on the Sunday, leaving 16:00, landing 18:20. You then have a good while to get from the airport to Roma Termini (30m ride, train every 15m). Then there is a night train to Milan Porta Garibaldi station, leaving 23:55 arriving 07:12. That train is €50 for a couchette, €70 for a bed in a 3 bed compartment. That gives plenty of time to get across to Milano Centrale for the 10:10 to Tirano, arriving 12:52, giving an hour and a half for lunch before the 14:25 Bernina Express. The bus to Kutaisi leaves Tbilisi at 9am, which is a bit better than having to be at the airport for 5am for an early flight.

If you want to book it, make sure you book it from Tirano to Germany via Basel with Deutsche Bahn, even if you don't use the section beyond Basel. That is easily the cheapest way from Tirano to Basel. Also make sure you book the Bernina express, the one leaving Tirano at 14:25 direct to Chur. You can book the seat reservation for the panorama coach separately for like €15 extra. It is probably worth it.

I'd probably still go with the early morning Tbilisi - Istanbul - Milan option on the Sunday with Pegasus, a night there, then onto Switzerland on Monday via the Bernina, if you do want to do it.

you're some man for one man haha. cheers for the info SD.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:35pm

So you created a thread because you couldn't make up your own mind whether your stay in Switzerland is too short? so you decide to ask random people on the internet for advice by setting a poll? are you thick?

whats next..... a thread and poll wondering is your trip too short in Gibraltar because you don't know whether to fly to Malaga or Faro and whether to rent a car or bus. Confused

Everyone's flight information is either in the Tbilisi thread or the Swiss thread. 
Well yeah, that was the entire point of the thread before you came in here begging for attention.

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:04pm
My list. 

Pint with the madman with the capital letters - I believe we have same criteria for Faro

Buy SD a pint because he is a legend and should have his own website. 

Grow my balls big enough to do the double header. I have the Swiss part booked up.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:20pm
On the same flight from kutaisi to Milan as superdave and spending the night their before getting the train onto Switzerland the next morning. 

Think might go up to kutaisi on the 13th and spend the night their before getting the flight on the 14th
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic