You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 qualifying: Group D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: Where will Ireland finish?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.32%]
30 [36.59%]
45 [54.88%]
1 [1.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

I think we know how dodgy Georgia are. Do Denmark and Switzerland?
Denmrk surely do from the last campaign. They struggled a little in Tblisi too if i remember correctly. 

When did Denmark last play them in a qualifier?

2004 and it was a draw in Tbilisi. The Swiss drew with Georgia in Tbilisi in 2002.

None of the current players would have been involved. 

The Danes are a fairly cocky bunch, would love to see them underestimate Georgia. 

This Swiss will be too clever for slip ups like that I fear.

Edited by Maccatacca - 03 Dec 2018 at 2:47pm
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:05pm
Agreed, I think the Swiss will take close to full points (dropping points to us in Dublin and Basel Wink)

Sommer is a quality keeper

Akanji, Schar,Elvedi are all very good defenders comfortable on the ball

Left back they have Ricardo Rodriquez
Mbabu at right back is a great talent (Why Newcastle let him go i'll never know), not sure if Lichtsteiner is still about but if he is he's a very good attacking option have defense.

In midfield Xhaka is a tough tackling but again capable on the ball midfielder
Zakaria like wise is a real talent
Zuber is no slouch

Shaqiri on his day can be World Class
Embolo has pace to burn
Seferovic can be hot or cold but is very capable of nicking a goal with the right service
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:12pm

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

I think we know how dodgy Georgia are. Do Denmark and Switzerland?
Denmrk surely do from the last campaign. They struggled a little in Tblisi too if i remember correctly. 

When did Denmark last play them in a qualifier?

2004 and it was a draw in Tbilisi. The Swiss drew with Georgia in Tbilisi in 2002.

None of the current players would have been involved

The Danes are a fairly cocky bunch, would love to see them underestimate Georgia. 

This Swiss will be too clever for slip ups like that I fear.

I'm aware of that.

My point is that they are no better now than they were back then. The way some people are talking you'd swear the Danes and Swiss are far too professional to slip up in Tbilisi. Far from it as history suggests.

We need to rid ourselves of this defeatist attitude and instead be the one's who clinically dispatch Georgia. Lets not be one's looking for favours.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:15pm
The Swiss are massively overrated. They have a nack for catching good teams at bad times, I remember they beat Brazil a few years back in a friendly and jumped into the top 15 in the rankings and have been punching down ever since. Caught Portugal on the first match day of 2018 qualifiers too.

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

The Swiss are massively overrated. They have a nack for catching good teams at bad times, I remember they beat Brazil a few years back in a friendly and jumped into the top 15 in the rankings and have been punching down ever since. Caught Portugal on the first match day of 2018 qualifiers too.

Recently destroyed Belgium (world number 1) in their Nations League game
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

After losing to Qatar a few days earlier. They'll take points off Denmark because they love playing big teams, and drop points to Georgia
JamieRed View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:47pm

After losing to Qatar a few days earlier.

RIGGGGGGGGGGGEDD!!! 
Peter Schmeichel will be like a father figure to Kasper Schmeichel.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:48pm

After losing to Qatar a few days earlier. They'll take points off Denmark because they love playing big teams, and drop points to Georgia
That Qatar result, in a completely meaningless game, is exactly why I think we will batter them home and away.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:58pm

Recently despite troyed Belgium (world number 1) in their Nations League game

Roberto Martinez.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:58pm
When was the last time (if ever) the Swiss failed to qualify?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Euro 2012
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Euro 2012

Losers 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:05pm
On paper the swiss dont look anything special and never have but there like a machine. Always seem to play well enough to come thru these groups. Dosent mean we cant beat them tho.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:18pm
Look, I'm not going to get ahead of myself. As Irish fans we always believe but we are 3rd for a reason. 

Denmark and Switzerland won't be worried about us. 

The Norths performance will give us hope and us against Denmark in Copenhagen for the 1st leg of the playoff. Yes we didn't create but they were piss poor also. Destroyed in Dublin to be fair but that's another story. 

I'm hoping Mick can nullify Eriksen and we can actually create something. 

MON couldn't figure it out but we need to win our home matches. We seemed to play with fear at the Aviva and that hindered us. Maybe the lads were terrified as they had no prep and no tactics. 

We have the easiest start possible and we should have at least 9 points and a few games under out belts before we play the best team in the group. 

Luck has defo played its part. 

Aim for 3rd - expectation 
Get 2nd - bonus ground 

Just want to see us play better and have an identity as I have said previously. 
Go for it at home and have more than 5 passes in a row. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:22pm
What's the point in aiming for 3rd?

We are a home nation. It's imperative that we do everything possible to finish in the top 2.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Put the mortgage on us being turd.

FixedLOL

Ah no I am optimistic we can run whoever close for 2nd spot.  We should have points on the board early and momentum on our side. 
Why the optimism? Realistically, third is our level. I'm genuinely at a loss at it. It seems to be solely based on our ability to beat Gibraltar and Georgia.

Exactly. Denmark and Switzerland have shown they are very competent 2nd tier European teams, and we are well crap. Those recent games against Denmark, they didn't seem to bothered competing.

I'm just hoping Mick can make us play a lot better than the 10 years of pain we have been served. And he has a year to get ready for a play off Nations League game
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:27pm

What's the point in aiming for 3rd?

We are a home nation. It's imperative that we do everything possible to finish in the top 2.

110% HB

plus a cracking trip to Bilbao if we qualify Clap
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:32pm

We are a home nation. 

You're some republican!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic