You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 qualifying: Group D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: Where will Ireland finish?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.32%]
30 [36.59%]
45 [54.88%]
1 [1.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

We could do with Switzerland beating Denmark twice, or vice versa. 

Or two draws maybe? We would need to take advantage of that though by beating one of them
Sponsored Links

JamieRed View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:43pm

We could do with Switzerland beating Denmark twice, or vice versa. 
or two draws as long as we beat one of them at home 
Peter Schmeichel will be like a father figure to Kasper Schmeichel.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Main problem for us is that the Swiss and Danes very rarely lose qualifiers.

For us to sneak into second, we're probably going to have beat one of them at least once.

The Danes have lost more qualifiers than us in the last two campaigns

4 compared to our 3
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:47pm
The biggest question of the lot who is going to score our goals to get us a second place finish?
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:47pm
2 draws would keep both sides in the mix.

2 defeats would be a disaster for either side, and would give us a great chance of second spot. We could draw our way to qualification LOL
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm

2 draws would keep both sides in the mix.

2 defeats would be a disaster for either side, and would give us a great chance of second spot. We could draw our way to qualification LOL

We're probably going to have to beat one of them somewhere anyway, either home or way. Two wins would be fantastic and leave us in a great position (but is a huge ask of course)
Mmurf View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:14pm
I think we'll finish third. Switzerland will be too strong for us. I think we're capable of finishing above Denmark and we have a chance if everyone comes back soon and we have a fully fit team but don't think it'll happen. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:14pm
I think we know how dodgy Georgia are. Do Denmark and Switzerland?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am sure he has too, but he can't make us a midfield! Even if he can, it will take at least 18 years for them to be ready!
I have no doubt we will improve under Mick, but improving enough in the time space involved, in international football, is almost unheard of.
Denmark strolled through two games with us asleep and we couldn't lay a glove on them. They have a brilliant defence, goalkeeper and midfield, as well as a couple of lads with pace.
Switzerland are a very well organised, technically capable side with players spread across Europe's top leagues and an unbelievable talent in Shaqiri who seems to perform better in international football.
I know people think I am just negative, but nobody seems to stop and assess the situation objectively.
We will need to beat one of Switzerland and Denmark at least once and can only afford to lose one, drawing the others. We would need a mountain of luck the size of the Matterhorn for that to happen.

And bar the one game were we gave Eriksen the freedom of Dublin did they actually score against us. I can't see us doing that again.

I don't buy that they have a better defense then us, equal perhaps but not better

Their defense against us in Dublin last time out was Dalsgaard, Kjaer, Jorgensen, Stryger Larsen

That is one Championship, one lower PL defender, one lower Serie A and Kjaer being the exception

Our strongest back 4 contains 3 mid/lower PL players.

Schmeichel I'll agree is better then Randolph but the only member of their back 4 I'd 100% want would be Kjaer

.....Preparing myself now for a PM backlash Wink

They have a genuine top class goalkeeper and a brilliant leader in Kjaer. Two things we are lacking.
I do agree that we can be well organised and difficult to beat, but how are we going to beat anybody? Even with a decent defence, which I think we have, it is very difficult to stop good teams from scoring when they will have close to two-thirds of the ball. Denmark weren't arsed about scoring in the last two games and I would always argue, and so would Hareide, that a scoreless draw at home in a two-legged tie is a good result, especially against a side that doesn't score many. I think that if we had played Denmark in a must win game they would have won.

As I said I agree, in the last game in Aarhus Denmark weren't arsed(neither did we mind) which is why I went with the lineup against us in Dublin in Nations League only one team did look like winning that but even then the Danes only had one real chance which was the Kjaer header cleared off the line.

As I said above the Danish have struggled to break teams down who are resolute in defense. We showed that in Copenhagen and Aarhus and during the World Cup they struggled against Australia and Peru.

I really think we McCarthy has us playing with am actually game plan we can take points off them.
We may well take a point off them, maybe two, but that is very unlikely to be of much use.
greenscene View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Denmrk surely do from the last campaign. They struggled a little in Tblisi too if i remember correctly. 
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

The biggest question of the lot who is going to score our goals to get us a second place finish?
We need to create to score...
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Denmrk surely do from the last campaign. They struggled a little in Tblisi too if i remember correctly. 

Denmark didn't play Georgia in the last campaign, they weren't in our group. 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:22pm

Funny how they didn't actually play Georgia in the last campaign
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm

When did Denmark last play them in a qualifier?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm

I am after getting horrendously mixed up LOL
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:24pm

I am after getting horrendously mixed up. They did draw 2-2 with them at some point a few years back
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:30pm

Edit see below post turns out they played them in 2006 qualifiers

winning once 6-1 in Denmark but then 2-2 in Tbilisi

From my research they have played them once in a friendly in 2005 in Aalborg it finished 2-1 to Denmark

They have played Switzerland twice in friendlies and lost both albeit the last one was in 1924.

Switzerland played Georgia in 2004 qualifying
 won 4-1 in Basel drew 0-0 in Tbilisi

Edited by lassassinblanc - 03 Dec 2018 at 2:44pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:34pm

2004 and it was a draw in Tbilisi. The Swiss drew with Georgia in Tbilisi in 2002.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic