You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 66>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Loads of cool tips here. Once venue is announced I can get planning
Presuming it's a toss-up between Basel and Geneva, I've already made a start and hedged my bets by booking a £30 flight from Dublin to Paris Orly the day before the match.  Trains from Paris to either of those cities take about 3 hours and go on sale 4 months in advance, at which stage the Swiss should have confirmed the venue.

I'll probably leave it until the venue is confirmed before I start booking a route home. 

Sure the direct flight to Geneva on the Monday is only €50
I considered that and knew that would be great - if we could be absolutely sure the game will be played there. But if it turns out to be in Basel (which actually wouldn't surprise me considering the matches they've played elsewhere have usually been against smaller teams which would attract less demand whereas this game could be a key match at the business end of the campaign), then I'd have to get a train anyway.  That's why I hedged my bets for this trip.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:05pm

Presuming it's a toss-up between Basel and Geneva, I've already made a start and hedged my bets by booking a £30 flight from Dublin to Paris Orly the day before the match.  Trains from Paris to either of those cities take about 3 hours and go on sale 4 months in advance, at which stage the Swiss should have confirmed the venue.

I'll probably leave it until the venue is confirmed before I start booking a route home. 

I considered that and knew that would be great - if we could be absolutely sure the game will be played there. But if it turns out to be in Basel (which actually wouldn't surprise me considering the matches they've played elsewhere have usually been against smaller teams which would attract less demand whereas this game could be a key match at the business end of the campaign), then I'd have to get a train anyway.  That's why I hedged my bets for this trip.

Conor, why not just book the flight to Geneva? If it's Basel, train it up.  Don't understand your logic...
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:44pm
LOL

These threads...
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:03pm
No one else noted the difference between kearney304's comments on this thread and the Gibraltar thread?

Seems a bit incongruous to be cool with driving 400km from Faro to Gibraltar on a minibus, but unwilling to book flights for the Swiss game, especially when there are multiple locations you can fly to from Cork and Dublin that connect easily with any of the venues in Switzerland.

Just me? No?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No one else noted the difference between kearney304's comments on this thread and the Gibraltar thread?

Seems a bit incongruous to be cool with driving 400km from Faro to Gibraltar on a minibus, but unwilling to book flights for the Swiss game, especially when there are multiple locations you can fly to from Cork and Dublin that connect easily with any of the venues in Switzerland.

Just me? No?
LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Just me? No?

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:36pm
LOL
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:32am
LOLLOLLOL

cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:41am
LOLLOL
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Conor, why not just book the flight to Geneva? If it's Basel, train it up.  Don't understand your logic...
Took your hint and booked that Swiss Airlines flight to Geneva.  At least if the game is in Basel, it would be a much shorter train journey from Geneva instead of a 3-hour journey from Paris regardless of which host city is chosen. 

So at least the unused Paris flight was relatively cheap @ £30 (unless someone who leaves it till the last minute and finds that fares have ballooned and wants to buy it off me) so I haven't wasted that much money.  But with this being my 9th away trip in total, you'd think I'd be getting better and cleverer at planning ways to travel on away trips... EmbarrassedLOL

Edited by ConorMac77 - 12 Dec 2018 at 9:24am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:26am
This thread just keeps on giving 🙈😂
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:07am
How soon are lads getting their vaccines for the Switzerland trip?  They say the rabies one can take up to 10 months to start working. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:10am
The poor Jacks will start choking on the cleanliness.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:29am
Anybody know if you can use French Francs in Switzerland also ?
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:49am
What's the Ebola situation?
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

You tested positive. Please report to your nearest hospital/vet to be destroyed
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

He will be there with his glamorous assistant.
PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 12:00pm
don't forget to get your visas if youre flying in from georgia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 66>
  Share Topic