You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 66>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:10pm
You can fly from Dublin to Geneva
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

If it is Geneva looking at places nearby and then train.

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

Super Dave where are you?

There is a direct train from Lyon to Geneva - Takes about 2 hours. Flew back from Geneva after Euro 2016 and took it 

Was looking there looks like that could be the best option. Train also appears to go from Milan to Geneva going via the the Alps and around the lake seems delightful does take 4 hours would be some great views unless majority of it is via an under mountain tunnel
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That you can but of course that is bound to go from a nice reasonable price to overblown as soon as an official announcement is made.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm
There's a town on the French side of Lake Geneva called Yvoire, it's a stop on the ferry. One of the most beautiful places I have been. Well worth it and shouldn't be too busy at that time of the year.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:19pm

That you can but of course that is bound to go from a nice reasonable price to overblown as soon as an official announcement is made.
True. London prices don't get as affected though. I won't be booking for a few months anyway! Switzerland isn't a bad spot to travel to due to being so central, I wouldn't panic.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm

There's a town on the French side of Lake Geneva called Yvoire, it's a stop on the ferry. One of the most beautiful places I have been. Well worth it and shouldn't be too busy at that time of the year.

Or Lac Léman as the French would say
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm
We'll know 4 months before according to the Swiss fa when they announced the Denmark game 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:55pm
the good thing also about Geneva is that is just across the lake from Montreux which any Queen fan is a must visit place
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm
Near Annecy too. Some really beautiful places nearby.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:58pm

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

There is a direct train from Lyon to Geneva - Takes about 2 hours. Flew back from Geneva after Euro 2016 and took it 

Was looking there looks like that could be the best option. Train also appears to go from Milan to Geneva going via the the Alps and around the lake seems delightful does take 4 hours would be some great views unless majority of it is via an under mountain tunnel

Only the 12 mile long Simplon tunnel which takes 8 minutes of the (roughly) 4 hour journey (I just checked this out because I'm going to go the same way). Aside from a few other short tunnels, it should be a scenic enough ride. The train itself is a decent, new enough Italian high speed train.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/etr610.htm

It looks plenty scenic. If you arrive in Milan on Sunday (as opposed to Monday on the Kutaisi - Milan flight) and you want extra scenery, follow ColemanY2K's lead and look at the Bernina pass route. I've done that before and it is spectacular. However, you can't go that way and make Geneva in time for kick off if you only leave Milan on Tuesday morning, unless you fancy a very early start (06:20), a few tight connections (8 minutes in Tirano, 51 minutes in St Moritz, 6 minutes in Chur and 9 minutes in Zurich which is a massive station) and arriving in Geneva at 18:18 on matchday at the earliest, assuming you make all those connections.

The direct 12:23 train from Milan arrives at 16:21 which is, no doubt, the option I'll be taking.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:20pm
Check out hotels just across the border in France.  Few hotels right on the France/Swiss border at the airport, and also at the opposite end in Gaillard like the Geneva Residence. Half the price per night, and only a taxi ride away from the centre. 
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:21pm
Switzerland is Schengen. So you can just walk across the border. No actual checks. 
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:43am

Lyon? Turin? Basel?

Unless they changed it, it does go along the lake and is some view. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:30am
Anyone with a bit of time on their hands is recommended to take the train between Lucerne and Interlaken. It can be incorporated into folks intinerary by those traveling from Zurich to Geneva and even those traveling Basle to Geneva (and in reverse). It's absolutely spectacular. Some of the carriages on the line have panoramic windows. The views are breathtaking.

It is known as the Golden Pass line 

Edited by colemanY2K - 11 Dec 2018 at 7:35am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
Been to interlaken myself many years ago now, savage scenery is an understatement.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 9:12am
Loads of cool tips here. Once venue is announced I can get planning. 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Loads of cool tips here. Once venue is announced I can get planning
Presuming it's a toss-up between Basel and Geneva, I've already made a start and hedged my bets by booking a £30 flight from Dublin to Paris Orly the day before the match.  Trains from Paris to either of those cities take about 3 hours and go on sale 4 months in advance, at which stage the Swiss should have confirmed the venue.

I'll probably leave it until the venue is confirmed before I start booking a route home. 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 11 Dec 2018 at 11:00am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Loads of cool tips here. Once venue is announced I can get planning
Presuming it's a toss-up between Basel and Geneva, I've already made a start and hedged my bets by booking a £30 flight from Dublin to Paris Orly the day before the match.  Trains from Paris to either of those cities take about 3 hours and go on sale 4 months in advance, at which stage the Swiss should have confirmed the venue.

I'll probably leave it until the venue is confirmed before I start booking a route home. 

Sure the direct flight to Geneva on the Monday is only €50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 66>
  Share Topic