You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 66>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:32pm
Great stuff Dave, will try that
Sponsored Links

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The 05:42 train it is for you then (well, you'll likely be grand on the 06:42 - Swiss trains, unlike German ones, actually do tend to run like clockwork).

looking at this train also. 74 snots for a one way though Dead

Genève05:42 3:000IC
Zürich Flughafen08:42
Hide detailsChoose return tripDetermine price
Station/Stop TimePlatformProductsFurther information
Genèvedep 05:424IC 707Intercity Direction: St. Gallen(CH)
Number of bicycles conveyed limited , Reservation optional , business-compartment , Bordrestaurant , handy/quiet zones , parent-and-children compartment 
Operator: SBB
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:10pm
The cheapest tickets are not on sale yet with sbb.ch and you can try the same trick I mentioned above for Freiburg booking on bahn.com.

If that doesn't work or doesn't show cheap tickets, add time for the stopover in Zurich, because the prices are based on the Basel to Freiburg section and yield managed on that basis. So, for example, if you search on bahn.com for Geneva to Freiburg via Zurich and the 05:42 departure is €70 but the 07:42 departure is €20, simply put a 2 hour stopover in Zurich and, all going to plan, the 05:42 departure will show up as being €20, and you'll just need to get the Zurich HB to Airport ticket.

And if you can't work it out for less than €72, just wait, and buy a supersaver ticket from the swiss 60 days out.

I know I'm repeating myself a bit here, but that should work as an option.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:52pm
Thumbs Up gent!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:09pm
Abbey travel after posting their trip for this.
Flights, 1 night hotel and match ticket €539pp plus €79 tax.
Mad money 
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Mad money 

If you're looking for a cheap one, maybe Switzerland isn't the place for you
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Mad money 

I just put it up here. I've it all booked ages ago anyway 
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:37pm

Mad money 

I expected their trip to be worse tbh if that's direct flights it isn't too so bad. Yes can definitely do it cheaper booking yoursryo but the guaranteed ticket will attract some as chance we get a small enough allocation from the swiss
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Mad money 

I expected their trip to be worse tbh if that's direct flights it isn't too so bad. Yes can definitely do it cheaper booking yoursryo but the guaranteed ticket will attract some as chance we get a small enough allocation from the swiss
Yeah it's charted flights. Don't think the allocation will be that small. Entitled to 1.5 which you'd assume the two will do some sort of deal regarding the away games here and there. See closer the time regarding them anyway
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:28pm
It's €618 and that's based on two people sharing a twin room, plus the hotel is out at the airport.

Booking right now, the hotel is €141 total for a room for the night & direct flights with Swiss (out 08:55 the morning of the match, back 07:00 the following morning) are €411. That's €482 total, give or take, counting half the cost of the hotel. The hotel is on the same basis: breakfast included.

So the question is: what extra are you getting with Abbey, for €136pp?

Well, first of all, you get an Abbey rep, who is a useful point of contact. Secondly, their flight times are slightly better (09:00, 13:00 return), albeit they are not yet confirmed. Third, you don't have to pay all up front now (just a €150 deposit). Fourth, you get a match ticket (which actually looks to be included in the price). That's the main benefit. Is it worth an extra €136, when a match ticket will (probably) be no more than €50? That really depends on whether you have your own access already.

Looked at that way, booking now, it's decent but not spectacular. HOWEVER, given that you can book flights with transfers of under 1hr with Lufthansa (and with plenty of time for a later flight to get you to Geneva in time for the match even if you miss the connection in Frankfurt because of a delay to the first flight) for €156, it looks a lot worse value:

DUB 09:10 - 12:10 FRA
FRA 13:05 - 14:10 GVA (if you miss the connection because of delay, there's also a 16:10 - 17:15 flight and, if it goes really badly wrong, 16:55 - 18:00)

GVA 14:00 - 15:15 FRA
FRA 16:05 - 17:10 DUB (if you miss the connection because of delay, there's also a 21:30 - 22:35 flight)

That puts the cost of flights at €156 and the hotel at ~€71 = €237 pps. That's about €380 cheaper than Abbey, the flight times are reasonable, the connections are manageable and, if it goes wrong on the first flight, there are later connections that work that they will put you on. You will not miss the match, even if you end up on the last of those flights into Geneva. You can even save another €15 if you are happy to book the flight that gets you into Geneva at 17:15, which is 3h30m before kick off anyway. That makes the saving somewhere in the region of €400.

If you don't have a guaranteed ticket, you are paying quite a lot to guarantee it. The direct flight is a bonus but it is very far from being a brilliant bonus. The game could be oversubscribed if qualification is riding on it but remember: it's an expensive country, it's a week night and we might not even know before the ticket application deadline if qualification is riding on it. We will obviously still have the Denmark home match to follow. I'm not sure it will be oversubscribed and €400 is a lot to pay for the guarantee of a match ticket. I suppose though, if you go with the indirect option with Lufthansa, and the first flight to Frankfurt is delayed, there is no guarantee they would be able to put you on a connecting flight that gets to Geneva in time to get to the match, although you'd like to think they'd get you there in time. Hell, if you're that worried about it, it's still cheaper to fly out the day before the match with Lufthansa (€156 again) and stay for two nights (about €140 pps) so it comes to about €300, less than half the price of Abbey. For a couple of <1hr connections in Frankfurt airport, I could easily live with that.

Plus, if you book your own stuff, you don't have to stay in an airport hotel.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 May 2019 at 11:48pm
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:08pm

Mad money 

Ive the exact same as this (excluding ticket) booked directly myself and cost approx €220.  
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Greenlad11 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenlad11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

Mad money 

Ive the exact same as this (excluding ticket) booked directly myself and cost approx €220.  

I’m over there for 3 nights , flights came to €180 and accommodation Is €150
Deco View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:00am
Booked this the other day, should be a decent trip out.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:45am
talks of it been moved back to Zurich 
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:49am
Basel, I heard. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:05pm
Don't know why I fell for this LOL really should have got more sleep 

Edited by wanderer - 30 May 2019 at 12:09pm
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:30pm
April Fool's Day was almost 2 months ago lads...LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Deco Deco wrote:

Booked this the other day, should be a decent trip out.

What way are you coming back?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 66>
  Share Topic