You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 66>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:32am
Probably hard to answer that definitively right now Eire Dub. Like you said, if the team is going well at the time, that will increase general demand for tickets and thus lessen your chances. Ordinarily, a game in an expensive country on a Tuesday wouldn't be too heavily subscribed, but this is a bit of an odd one being a DH with Georgia- there will probably only be maybe 300/400 doing both, if even that, so a lot of lads without the budget or time for both will pick one or the other, and it's hard to know what one those lads will pick. 

Some of us are nearly fatigued with Georgia having been there twice in the past few years, so might go with Switz (which can be got to with direct flights, which is a consideration for those stuck for time too) while other people who missed out on Georgia the last 2 times might pick that one- it's more of a novelty than Switzerland and reports were generally good about it as a place to visit from the last 2 trips. 

We also don't know what the Swiss will give us ticket wise, official allocation will be about 1500 (possibly plus another 200 FAI tickets for players/officials- some or all of which, on occasion, the FAI also release to fans when allocations are tight) but it might be a few hundred more than that depending on the configuration of the stadium, which also increases your chances. 

Most experienced fans would tell ya the same thing, book the trip & take yer chances with tickets, sometimes you will get lucky even if not allocated one by FAI, it can be a matter of just asking enough people while there, or trying to buy a home ticket off a local.  Nobody ever got a ticket watching it on the TV at home. You won't be on yer own if you end up watching in a pub, and you'll no doubt enjoy the rest of the experience. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 6:30am
Originally posted by EireDub EireDub wrote:

im new to this kind of thing, have a season ticket since last june with the brother and looking to do an away trip.cant do Denmark so looking at the swiss one, what is the likelihood of getting a ticket, obviously
if were going well that increases it but if i apply via the portal is there a good chance?
Thanks

Honestly with no away record you’ll more then likely not get a ticket for this 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 7:32am

im new to this kind of thing, have a season ticket since last june with the brother and looking to do an away trip.cant do Denmark so looking at the swiss one, what is the likelihood of getting a ticket, obviously
if were going well that increases it but if i apply via the portal is there a good chance?
Thanks
Highly doubt with no away record that you'll get one, again depends on how we're going but i'd roughly guess that if there's a bit of demand that you'll need a few away's on record.

The only thing i could think of to suggest that allocation might not be an issue is that they only got 18k in Basel for what would be considered a game against their biggest opponents in the group and that's due to an apparent lack of interest in the national team according to a few swiss journalists after the Denmark game.

I know this ground only holds 30k but that could also be telling in the crowd expected if it's not in Basel. 

Time will tell, still months away

Edited by wanderer - 11 Apr 2019 at 7:37am
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
If we get a result in Copenhagen then demand from here will rocket.  Likewise if we were to beat the Swiss in September again demand would rocket.  It depends to an extent when the away end tickets are sold.  

I actually don't believe demand will be too high in either end.  I've never been in the stadium and don't know the configuration for away fans but I'd expect the Swiss will within reason give us more or less what we ask for.  I actually doubt if this game will sellout.

Many of the away fans will already live in Switzerland or neighbouring countries.  For the Northern Ireland playoff sales were restricted to a number of mainland European countries.  There were plenty of home end tickets at FV available on the day in Basel.  There were loads of away fans in colours cheering openly in the home end at that game.   

I think a ST holder with no away record would still have a reasonable chance of getting an away end ticket at this point.   

davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:30am
Like others said it really all depends on how we do against Denmark away, and potentially home against Switzerland if applications haven't opened by then.

The stadium is 30,000 seats, so our minimum application is 1,500 tickets.

I know others have said that the Swiss don't sell out their stadiums, but this might be a different story. The Swiss-French get very few games, so it's more of a big deal for them than it would have been in Basel/Zurich etc. The last time they played a game in Geneva was in 2017 and they sold 25,000 tickets, and that was against Latvia.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Like others said it really all depends on how we do against Denmark away, and potentially home against Switzerland if applications haven't opened by then.

I know others have said that the Swiss don't sell out their stadiums, but this might be a different story. The Swiss-French get very few games, so it's more of a big deal for them than it would have been in Basel/Zurich etc. The last time they played a game in Geneva was in 2017 and they sold 25,000 tickets, and that was against Latvia.

Had a look at the post that the swiss put up on facebook announcing the game in Geneva, not a whole lot of them happy that it's there.

It's months away anyway so I guess we just have to wait and see, more than likely they get a bigger allocation for over here,in return we get an increase.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Had a look at the post that the swiss put up on facebook announcing the game in Geneva, not a whole lot of them happy that it's there.

It's months away anyway so I guess we just have to wait and see, more than likely they get a bigger allocation for over here,in return we get an increase.

Just had a look at the post, the unhappy comments are in German, and the happy ones are in French. It's just the Swiss Germans who are annoyed since Geneva is too far away for them for a Tuesday match. The Swiss French are happy enough since they rarely get any games there.

On a more positive note, the stadium is a bowl so the sections are partitioned quite easily, so a number for our allocation is not exactly set in stone.

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 11:07am
Am I the only one starting to wish we had got Switzerland instead of Denmark in the play-offs? Cry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 7:47pm

Latvia was on a Saturday which would have helped the crowd.  I'd be surprised if the stadium was full. 
However we are all guessing at this stage.
EireDub View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:56pm
Thanks lads for the replies,some optimistic and some pessimistic which I expected but might give it a go and hopefully it works
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 8:59am

Thanks lads for the replies,some optimistic and some pessimistic which I expected but might give it a go and hopefully it works

Apologies if I seemed maybe unnecessarily pessimistic. We're all really just guessing what the situation will be, and some of that based on results of matches that haven't happened yet.

I suggest giving it a go anyway. Even if it's oversubscribed, there are always a few that have to drop out last minute for whatever reason anyway so a few more tickets will pop up, you'll see those here on the forum closer to the time.

Even if you're there and can't get a ticket, you're not going to be the only one. You'll still have a good trip, have fun, and get to watch the game with others who are over.

The only way to definitely not get a ticket for the game is not to try.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:30am
Even if this game sells out it cannot sellout without a public sale of the home end.  Even if they restrict tickets like they did for the Northern Ireland playoff you can still buy tickets if you have an address on mainland Europe.  I can't recall if they allowed "print at home" tickets.  

So in summary anybody who wants to attend this game and plans anyway early will get a ticket without any difficulty.  

It may be difficult to get a ticket in the away end.  It might be too late at that stage to get one in the home end.  

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get tickets for International matches.  Netherlands v Germany went on public sale and took a while to sellout for example.   
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Even if this game sells out it cannot sellout without a public sale of the home end.  Even if they restrict tickets like they did for the Northern Ireland playoff you can still buy tickets if you have an address on mainland Europe.  I can't recall if they allowed "print at home" tickets.  

So in summary anybody who wants to attend this game and plans anyway early will get a ticket without any difficulty.  

It may be difficult to get a ticket in the away end.  It might be too late at that stage to get one in the home end.  

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get tickets for International matches.  Netherlands v Germany went on public sale and took a while to sellout for example.   

1,500 tickets could be difficult, if they increased it to maybe 2k, that would see most people sorted without issue.

But again it's months away and all depends on results really.
EireDub View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:41pm
Ah no worries I understand,it’s the fairest way to do things,just hard to break into it at the start,going to give it a go if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work

Appreciate the help on here 

Edited by EireDub - 13 Apr 2019 at 10:41pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:46pm

Ah no worries I understand,it’s the fairest way to do things,just hard to break into it at the start,going to give it a go if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work

It's easy enough to get into It.
You'd get a ticket for Georgia no problem 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

It's easy enough to get into It.
You'd get a ticket for Georgia no problem 

Agreed and almost certainly Denmark away no problem as well.  
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:43pm

If we have a chance of clinching automatic qualification = No chance

If we are already not guaranteed top 2 = As many tickets as you want.

My advice, go to Tbilisi, will be a far better trip, and you will get a ticket no problem no matter the group standings.

Edited by Roberto_Carlow - 14 Apr 2019 at 7:44pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:24pm
Milan - Geneva tickets have gone on sale for Tuesday 15 October. €39 per person but only a few tickets left at that price on the 12:23 train. www.trenitalia.com. I've booked coach 7.

The German ones for Freiburg - Geneva (and thus Basel - Geneva) won't go on sale for a couple of days yet.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 Apr 2019 at 11:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 66>
  Share Topic