You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 66>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:04am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I firmly believe the less time one spends in Paris the better, but cheers for that! 

Hah, fair enough!

Just a word if you do go that way: allow *at least* 2 hours in Paris. You arrive in Gare de Lyon and leave Gare du Nord, which requires a metro/RER journey between the two (about 20 minutes on the metro, 12 on the RER, from recollection). Also, you have to check in for the Eurostar at least 30 minutes before departure. All that being the case and covering delays, I'd want to allow at least 90 minutes, if not 2 hours.

You're forgetting brexit in all this dave LOL
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

I firmly believe the less time one spends in Paris the better, but cheers for that! 

Hah, fair enough!

Just a word if you do go that way: allow *at least* 2 hours in Paris. You arrive in Gare de Lyon and leave Gare du Nord, which requires a metro/RER journey between the two (about 20 minutes on the metro, 12 on the RER, from recollection). Also, you have to check in for the Eurostar at least 30 minutes before departure. All that being the case and covering delays, I'd want to allow at least 90 minutes, if not 2 hours.

Aw here if there's still issues with Eurostar because of brexit in October I'll eat my non existent hat. LOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:39am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Hah, fair enough!

Aw here if there's still issues with Eurostar because of brexit in October I'll eat my non existent hatLOL

I saw that the French already have a team of bulldozers poised at the tunnel entrance in Calais to start filling it in..............would you be a 7 1/8" ?
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:55am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Sorry for bothering you Dave we’re staying in Freiburg and travelling down matchday. When would be the best time for booking the train in Advance.

Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Sorry for bothering you Dave we’re staying in Freiburg and travelling down matchday. When would be the best time for booking the train in Advance.

bahn.com, six months out, it should only be €19.90 each way. I'd choose one with only one stopover, in Olten.

Incidentally, for people travelling from Zurich to Geneva, it might be cheaper to book tickets from Germany to Geneva on bahn.com, and just ignore the Germany to Zurich bit. If you book a ticket from Singen (in Germany) to Geneva, it will give you options with a change in Zurich. There is no need to take the Singen - Zurich leg; just make sure you only take the booked Zurich to Geneva leg, as the ticket is still train specific. Those tickets should be €29.90 each way and can be booked six months out, as opposed to only two months out for the Swiss domestic options. At €29.90 each way, it's as cheap as you'll get it for from sbb.ch.
Could the same be said of Freiburg to Geneva prices will be from €19.90 on dB bhan, if I book the Freiburg to Geneva train will I be OK to board that train when it stops in basel ?

That's my plan. I'm on the Ryanair flight to Basel on the 15th October and going to board the Freiburg to Geneva train in Basel SSB at 14:03
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

That's my plan. I'm on the Ryanair flight to Basel on the 15th October and going to board the Freiburg to Geneva train in Basel SSB at 14:03

That's a pretty tight connection time you're going for there.
City Till I Die
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:20am
Geneva accommodation prices are lively. Cheapest spot I could find for a twin room was €150 a night.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Geneva accommodation prices are lively. Cheapest spot I could find for a twin room was €150 a night.

even for those of us with a few hotel points saved up they are lively, holiday inn express at the airport 35000 reward points

booked anyway now for the ticket panic
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

It's Switzerland what did you expect
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:04pm
I’m surprised it was not more expensive. Booked  two nights in Ibis Style ( decor bit odd ) 15 mins by tram from centre for €230 yesterday and direct Lingus flights for € 180 return, nothing wrong with that 😁
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

bahn.com, six months out, it should only be €19.90 each way. I'd choose one with only one stopover, in Olten.

Incidentally, for people travelling from Zurich to Geneva, it might be cheaper to book tickets from Germany to Geneva on bahn.com, and just ignore the Germany to Zurich bit. If you book a ticket from Singen (in Germany) to Geneva, it will give you options with a change in Zurich. There is no need to take the Singen - Zurich leg; just make sure you only take the booked Zurich to Geneva leg, as the ticket is still train specific. Those tickets should be €29.90 each way and can be booked six months out, as opposed to only two months out for the Swiss domestic options. At €29.90 each way, it's as cheap as you'll get it for from sbb.ch.
Could the same be said of Freiburg to Geneva prices will be from €19.90 on dB bhan, if I book the Freiburg to Geneva train will I be OK to board that train when it stops in basel ?

Arriving at 13:15 and hoping to be on a 14:03 flight is cutting it fine, when a replacement ticket is €80.

Get one an hour later. Don't forget kick off is 20:45 local time, so if you arrive in Geneva at 17:54 (getting the 15:04 train) you'll be grand. That's almost three hours before kick off. I know those trains all involve changes but Swiss trains do have superb punctuality statistics. Literally the only issue is the time of year and the potential for leaves on the line, though they are more of an issue towards November, rather than October.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:38pm
Tuesday morning direct to Geneva is still only €49.

It might be worth your while abandoning any alternative plans like flying to Basel or Zurich and just booking the direct Swiss flight.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:47pm
I'm staying on in Switzerland for a few days after.
Looking at a train from Geneva to Grindewald. It stops off in Bern and Interlaken. Would I be able to get off and have a look around the city and use the same ticket to get back on? Or would need some special kind of ticket? 
The dark side.. And the light
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:57pm
A saver day pass might be the way to do that. It isn't valid on all lines (some of the smaller private ones are excluded, like the Jungfrau) but it is valid for Geneva - Bern - Interlaken - Grindewald.

Unlike a lot of daypass tickets, they do vary in price. It goes on sale 60 days out, afaik, and should hopefully be somewhere in the region of €45-50 if you book when it goes on sale. www.sbb.ch

It is valid until 5am the following morning.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:06pm
Cheers.
Jungfrau is exactly what I'm looking to do. 
The dark side.. And the light
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:08pm
I think you'll need a separate ticket for that, no matter. I think it is about €100 too.

It actually might make sense for you to get a one month half-price travelcard.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Cheers.
Jungfrau is exactly what I'm looking to do. 

Prefer the more experienced ladies myself Embarrassed
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:41pm
Jungfrau and Grindelwald area are special places.
If ye have a few days spare in Switzerland go!!!

Edited by colemanY2K - 21 Feb 2019 at 1:46pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 66>
  Share Topic