You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 66>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:26pm
The issue is if the first one is delayed... I'd definitely book the 15:11 Lyria. If you miss the 12:11, they might not let you on the 15:11 without you paying for a new ticket. There's little enough benefit in having an extra three hours in Geneva, is there? How many fans will actually make it to Geneva on Monday?
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The issue is if the first one is delayed... I'd definitely book the 15:11 Lyria. If you miss the 12:11, they might not let you on the 15:11 without you paying for a new ticket. There's little enough benefit in having an extra three hours in Geneva, is there? How many fans will actually make it to Geneva on Monday?
That's what a sensible man would do... but having conferred with the two other goons we are happy enough to risk the 12:11. Thetrainline indicates it's €130 for a single ticket on the day...worth the risk as we'd probably drink a fair portion of that in Corcoran's if we waited for the 15:11  LOL 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:24pm
I double checked the RER timetables. There are two routes direct from GDN to GDL, each every fifteen minutes, the first at xx:00, 15, 30 and 45, the second at xx:06, 21, 36 and 51. It takes about 9 minutes. There's a fair way to connect at the other end so I'd say you're in trouble if you only make the 11:51. You definitely don't want to miss the 11:45 RER, and even it is tight. I think your chances of making the 11:30 from an 11:17 arrival are slim, so it's probably the 11:36. If it's the 11:45, you're still okay, but if you're on the 11:51, I foresee a fair amount of running through Gare de Lyon. They're both big stations and the RER platforms are downstairs and involve quite a bit of walking.

On the eurostar, change your seats so you are at the front. The higher the coach number the better: 13 in an E320, 18 in an E300, and as close to the door as possible as well. I'm assuming you're in standard class, at those prices. Given that you might need it, and it might make a difference of 5 minutes, it could well be worth being as close to the front as possible.

Incidentally, if time is tight, I still wouldn't get a taxi, as the RER is liable to be quicker.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 18 Apr 2019 at 2:33pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:43pm

I double checked the RER timetables. There are two routes direct from GDN to GDL, each every fifteen minutes, the first at xx:00, 15, 30 and 45, the second at xx:06, 21, 36 and 51. It takes about 9 minutes. There's a fair way to connect at the other end so I'd say you're in trouble if you only make the 11:51. You definitely don't want to miss the 11:45 RER, and even it is tight. I think your chances of making the 11:30 from an 11:17 arrival are slim, so it's probably the 11:36. If it's the 11:45, you're still okay, but if you're on the 11:51, I foresee a fair amount of running through Gare de Lyon. They're both big stations and the RER platforms are downstairs and involve quite a bit of walking.

On the eurostar, change your seats so you are at the front. The higher the coach number the better: 13 in an E320, 18 in an E300, and as close to the door as possible as well. I'm assuming you're in standard class, at those prices. Given that you might need it, and it might make a difference of 5 minutes, it could well be worth being as close to the front as possible.

Incidentally, if time is tight, I still wouldn't get a taxi, as the RER is liable to be quicker.
No bother chief, I've a table seat sorted in carriage 13 which must mean it's the E320. I have RER tickets at hand so it should be literally a quick scoot from the Eurostar and down to the RER platform. If we make it we make it, if we don't I'm sure we'll find a watering hole outside the station if not Corcoran's up the road.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:54pm
Ah yeah, you *should* be fine. The main thing is not getting stuck behind people getting off the Eurostar as that is the single biggest delay. Once you are in up the front and at the doors, you'll be fine. Their on time performance is usually pretty okay, around 85% within 5 minutes. That's close enough for your purposes, anyway.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:51am

Actual easier-to-book train tickets on sale now, without the 48 hour layovers. Plenty of options for €19.90 from Basel to Geneva.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:45pm
hi lads was able to get train tickets for €19.90 on the way down but can’t seem to get them for the return ??any ideas ??
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:59pm
Cos they aren't on sale yet.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:18pm
Thanks Dave any ideas when they’ll be on sale
jamie2905 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie2905 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Thanks Dave any ideas when they’ll be on sale

It literally tells you when they are on sale when you search the date.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:43pm
They're on sale now on bahn.com, Geneva to Freiburg.

And to repeat: if you can't see one for €19.90, but there's one later that has €19.90 tickets, add a stopover in Basel for the relevant time. e.g. if you want a 10am departure but it's €39.90 and a 2pm departure is €19.90, and you're only going to Basel, add a four hour stopover in Basel, and the ticket should show as €19.90.

Otherwise hang on until 60 days out and the Swiss may have cheap tickets directly.
CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 9:21am
@SuperDave I'm looking at booking a train on bahn.de Zurich airport to Geneva Sunday-Wednesday and it says €74.60 return. Is this likely the cheapest price I'll get or should I hold off? 

In the section "Select discount card" I've just hit return and it appears to allow me not enter anything for this which I assume was what you were referring to in previous posts?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 8:29pm
You'll not get best priced tickets on bahn.com for that route.

If you search from Freiburg (Bresgau) Hbf to Geneve, with via Zurich Main Station, it should show up at €19.90 each way - print your own tickets. You'll need to buy your own tickets from Zurich airport to main station. You don't need to take the Freiburg to Zurich part of the journey.

Alternatively, wait until the Swiss tickets go on sale 60 days out on sbb.ch.
CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 11:19am

If you search from Freiburg (Bresgau) Hbf to Geneve, with via Zurich Main Station, it should show up at €19.90 each way - print your own tickets. You'll need to buy your own tickets from Zurich airport to main station. You don't need to take the Freiburg to Zurich part of the journey.

Cheers....the price of €74.60 could be used on any train so thought it wasn't a bad price. Do you think they'll be cheaper than that on the Swiss site 60 days out?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 1:36pm
Yeah... but whatever you do, make sure to deselect the half-fare travelcard thing: it defaults to everyone having one of those, because basically everyone in Switzerland does. However, tourists don't, and get caught out on it.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 11:29pm

Top .man as always SD. Booked Thumbs Up
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 11:55pm
Great. Now, while the tickets you've bought are date and train specific, they don't have seat reservations so sit anywhere. Swiss trains generally don't have seat reservations. Also, if you have to get a different train to the one booked, you need a new ticket, so don't miss it. If you're booking airport connections, I hope you left a decent bit of time to cover delays.

One other thing on Zurich airport: while you cannot book tickets now from Zurich airport to Geneva on bahn.com, you may well be able to book them directly with the Swiss when they go on sale, to cover the whole journey, on a direct Zurich airport to Geneva train - however, that option is not necessarily gone yet. If you do book now, or have booked already, and your train from Zurich to Geneva leaves Zurich at xx:32, it is almost certainly one that comes into Zurich via the airport, so you could technically book the German ticket now for €19.90 and then, when you land, simply buy a single ticket to the city centre in Zurich for 6.80 CHF but actually get on the *same* train direct from Zurich Airport to Geneva (it actually goes on, confusingly enough, to Geneva airport). You'll have two tickets (Zurich Airport to Zurich HB, and Freiburg to Geneva) but your tickets will still be cheaper than anything you can get for the whole journey direct from SBB.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:02am
Aye tried to reserve seats but only applicable in German part of the trip so didnt bother... We get in from Tblisis early and taking the 3oclock train, so loads of time for delays etc. As it happens our hotel is in the airport at Geneva so booked through to airport, works out well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 66>
  Share Topic