You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 66>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Mancicni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:25am
The accepted consensus in Switzerland is that the Irish game will be in Geneva. All media having been referring to Basel getting the Denmark game and Geneva the Irish game, as they like to move their matches around the country. 26k capacity isn't ideal if big numbers of Irish travel. 
Sponsored Links

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Terry Mancicni Terry Mancicni wrote:

The accepted consensus in Switzerland is that the Irish game will be in Geneva. All media having been referring to Basel getting the Denmark game and Geneva the Irish game, as they like to move their matches around the country. 26k capacity isn't ideal if big numbers of Irish travel. 
Not to piss on your chips or anything, but accepted consensus and actual official word from their FA are poles apart
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Not to piss on your chips or anything, but accepted consensus and actual official word from their FA are poles apart
Also when you consider how important the game could be that late in the campaign, there could be more than enough interest from their own fans for the game to be in Basel.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being played there.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

What has a Warsaw divorce got to do with Switzerland?
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:10pm
basel easier to get to for me but been there a few times now , wouldn't mind geneva for a change 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

basel easier to get to for me but been there a few times now , wouldn't mind geneva for a change 

Direct trains from Frankfurt to all the potential venues except Geneva, afaik.

None of them should be more than €40 each way, and only Geneva is over four and a bit hours.

The train should be quicker than flying to anywhere bar Geneva, coming from Frankfurt.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
There's normally a Cork to Geneva flight but it may be out of season by October.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

None of them should be more than €40 each way, and only Geneva is over four and a bit hours.

The train should be quicker than flying to anywhere bar Geneva, coming from Frankfurt.

yeah i stuck a note on my calendar to book the train when it comes online about 90 days before , should be cheap then. 

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:10pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

yeah i stuck a note on my calendar to book the train when it comes online about 90 days before , should be cheap then. 

Six months, I think. Used to be 90 days, now 180.
Terry Mancicni View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Mancicni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:10pm
Except you're all ignoring the Swiss and their Swissness, they don't do last minute changes, uncertainty or anything that's not meticulously planned.  
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 12:23am
Well seeing that the gibraltar thread has died a death any truth to the rumour that this game will be Announced for the city if Berne?
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:06am
Well before that boring cluts comes on here and starts blowing his trumpet it’s in Tangiers lads
superp View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:42am
either way plenty of trains daily from basel to geneva around €100 return.
irish to the core
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Well seeing that the gibraltar thread has died a death any truth to the rumour that this game will be Announced for the city if Berne?

Preferable to Geneva for me. Geneva is mentally expensive (Zurich too) and didn’t seem to be much in the way of nightlife. All lovely cities though but there’s something about Berne I liked more.

Only been to Basel once for the 2-0 loss and can’t say I saw much outside of the pub or fast food shops to comment.

Edited by Colum - 26 Jan 2019 at 12:23pm
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:56pm
Berne is insanely expensive too - probably the dearest in Switz next to Geneva in my experience. Smashing city though
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Preferable to Geneva for me. Geneva is mentally expensive (Zurich too) and didn’t seem to be much in the way of nightlife. All lovely cities though but there’s something about Berne I liked more.

Only been to Basel once for the 2-0 loss and can’t say I saw much outside of the pub or fast food shops to comment.

I was not overly impressed with Basel the last time either, its mainly a business orientated city with limited and expensive night life. Traveling from Kutaisi to Milan on the monday so will travel to the nominated match city on match day, all will be gone early the following morning.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Berne is insanely expensive too - probably the dearest in Switz next to Geneva in my experience. Smashing city though

Hmm. OK, I stand corrected. Wasn’t really on a drinking holiday but ate out and had a couple of beers each night in a few Swiss cities the last time I was there and thought Berne was reasonable compared to Geneva which I thought was just insanely expensive. Certainly a bit more nightlife in Berne so may just be a case of shopping around.

Although having a few pints outdoors while watching the bears and that river valley and old town definitely earned Berne a few points in my book.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 2:44am
No matter where, you'll always find a (relatively) cheap boozer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 66>
  Share Topic