You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 66>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Turns out that Basel airport is technically in France so probably won't be able to pick up any duty free Angry

There's Swiss customs there too I'm nearly positive and you chose which country you exit into, meaning you can buy it
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:42am

Interesting, never knew that ;

EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg is operated jointly by two countries, France and Switzerland, although the airport is located completely on French soil. The airport itself is split into two architecturally independent sectors, one half serving the French side and the other half serving the Swiss side; prior to Schengen there was an immigration inspection point at the middle of the airport so that people could "emigrate" to the other side of the airport.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
Yep, but anyway, it's down to whether Dublin airport allow the goods to be duty free and given that Basle is designated a Swiss airport I'd be amazed if they didn't.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:06pm
On arrival there's signage directing you one way to France and Switzerland the other way. Can't remember the duty free set up.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:11pm

The situation has always been rather complex at the airport regarding duty free matters.

If you arrive on an international flight and your destination is Switzerland, you can shop at the arrival duty free shop (level 2). If your ticket says BSL or EAP then you are safe, if it says MLH I'm not really sure since you come from Paris. Don't expect great prices, though.

On departure, you can only use the departure duty free shops if your destination is outside Schengen.

Souce: Tripadvisor

time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 12:08am
We flew into Basel before the Euros in 2016. I can confirm that you can get duty free. We decided to buy 5 liters of vodka for €50. Kept us going for a few hours in Strasbourg while the French train drivers decided to go on strike.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 12:38am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

don't forget to get your visas if youre flying in from georgia

Out of all the joke advice, I feel like this will get lost, 'tis important.

Non EU country to non-EU country - visa needed.
I don't get this. We don't need a visa for either country. I don't dispute what youryo saying but it seems strange.
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 2:01am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I don't get this. We don't need a visa for either country. I don't dispute what youryo saying but it seems strange.

It's important to note that a visa is not needed if the flight enters EU airspace before reaching Switzerland.
CatalanCelt1 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatalanCelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 9:39pm
No update regarding venue for this game? Is the general view Geneva at the moment still?
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by CatalanCelt1 CatalanCelt1 wrote:

No update regarding venue for this game? Is the general view Geneva at the moment still?

Hard to say , hope for Basel but would be no surprise if Geneva with the Swiss FA spreading it around 

Hopefully confirmed in the next couple of weeks but their Facebook reference 4 months notice 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
CatalanCelt1 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatalanCelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Hard to say , hope for Basel but would be no surprise if Geneva with the Swiss FA spreading it around 

Hopefully confirmed in the next couple of weeks but their Facebook reference 4 months notice 

Perfect, cheers boi. Looking to finalise plans and annual leave for the year. Be too easy if they confirmed once draw was announced.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 10:47pm

They'd regard Denmark a bigger draw than us so that should be in Basel.

They have big stadiums in Bern and Zurich but don't use them? 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 10:53pm

They'd regard Denmark a bigger draw than us so that should be in Basel.

They have big stadiums in Bern and Zurich but don't use them? 

Denmark is confirmed as Basel but know what your saying, three venues ‘bid’ for it apparently 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 12:19am
Don't forget that the train from Milan to any of the venues is under €40. It is possible to book a flight to Milan on the Monday, stay there for the night, and get to Bern, Basel, Geneva or Zurich direct from Milano Centrale. It is €29 to Zurich or Bern, €39 to Basel or Geneva. Tickets on sale four months out at trenitalia.com

It's even possible to fly Dublin to Milan early Tuesday morning and get there on matchday, if the game is in Zurich or Geneva, although it is a bit tight for time. The 06:15 Ryanair flight to Bergamo lands at 09:40, so you're unlikely to be able to catch a train from Milano Centrale before midday. A 09:40 arrival gives plenty of time to get to Milan Centrale for trains after that (there's a bus every fifteen minutes that takes an hour). The Geneva train leaves at 12:23, and there's a Zurich train at 13:25. Counting an hour for the bus to Central, and even allowing for an hour of delays total, you'd still be okay.

Basel and Bern are possible too but a bit pricier if you do it on the matchday, as you probably can't get the direct train with cheap fares. That train, to Basel via Bern, leaves at 11:23, which is too tight from the 09:40 arrival. I mean, if you catch the 10am bus from Bergamo and it arrives on time at 11am, yeah, but that is much too tight to be relying on.

Still, Milan will probably end up being among the cheapest ways of getting there, no matter where it is.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 06 Jan 2019 at 12:48am
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:51am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Don't forget that the train from Milan to any of the venues is under €40. It is possible to book a flight to Milan on the Monday, stay there for the night, and get to Bern, Basel, Geneva or Zurich direct from Milano Centrale. It is €29 to Zurich or Bern, €39 to Basel or Geneva. Tickets on sale four months out at trenitalia.com

It's even possible to fly Dublin to Milan early Tuesday morning and get there on matchday, if the game is in Zurich or Geneva, although it is a bit tight for time. The 06:15 Ryanair flight to Bergamo lands at 09:40, so you're unlikely to be able to catch a train from Milano Centrale before midday. A 09:40 arrival gives plenty of time to get to Milan Centrale for trains after that (there's a bus every fifteen minutes that takes an hour). The Geneva train leaves at 12:23, and there's a Zurich train at 13:25. Counting an hour for the bus to Central, and even allowing for an hour of delays total, you'd still be okay.

Basel and Bern are possible too but a bit pricier if you do it on the matchday, as you probably can't get the direct train with cheap fares. That train, to Basel via Bern, leaves at 11:23, which is too tight from the 09:40 arrival. I mean, if you catch the 10am bus from Bergamo and it arrives on time at 11am, yeah, but that is much too tight to be relying on.

Still, Milan will probably end up being among the cheapest ways of getting there, no matter where it is.

Assuming the game is in Geneva (which I think is most likely), if you're not doing a double-header with Georgia, don't forget to consider flying to or staying in Lyon. For the France game in the Euros (my first ever away trip....) I flew to Geneva and got a train from there to Lyon which took about 2hrs. Considering how expensive Switzerland is, and the craic in Geneva is zero it might be worth going to Lyon and getting a train in for the match and back
JamieRed View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:10am
this one is going to be a quick in out , having been to basle loads its nice to see a new stadium 
Peter Schmeichel will be like a father figure to Kasper Schmeichel.
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Lostandfound Lostandfound wrote:

It's important to note that a visa is not needed if the flight enters EU airspace before reaching Switzerland.

LOL
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 11:07pm
I'm confused since the start of that lads LOL

The only thing I know is that we don't need a visa! Wink
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 66>
  Share Topic