You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 103>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Some footballers are absolutely thick

In a nutshell.
We can't forever be learning....he's played enough to know that was stupid and it may have ultimately cost us bigtime.

But we can hold our heads high after the campaign is done and dusted.
We've progressed players and have more to come.
The sooner we get U17 and U17 comps back the better.

Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Where is this idea coming from that these players were somehow more than good enough to win today, it's incredibly arrogant to be honest against an Iceland team that had a few senior internationals involved. If they were good enough to win they would have done, simple as that.

Realistically out of today's starting team how many will go on to win 10 plus senior caps? Certainly not the keeper and probably only Collins out of the back four. 

Coventry and Ronan are tidy footballers but I don't think they'll ever be senior regulars for us. The likes of Elbouzedi and Obafemi aren't good enough either. Scully? I don't see it.

There were probably 8 or 9 future regular senior players in the under 21 squad this time around. It was an unusually talented bunch. However by the time the most important game came around there was only one of those players in the starting team.

It was probably a combination of bad luck and bad management, but we absolutely blew this chance one way or another. If Knight. Molumby and O'Shea don't feature prominently against Wales serious questions will need to be asked here.

Where the idea that they weren’t good enough to grab the bull by the horns and win today. 

What’s arrogant about it?? Not underestimating Iceland who are clearly a decent side but at home against them look at our players where they are vs Icelands players and where they are at club level etc then it’s not an unreasonable argument that our lads on paper probably would shade it. There’s no set of results in the group to indicate we weren’t at least as competent if not overall a better side the Iceland especially if your taking Iceland’s away form isolated. Also at home too the onus is on you to go and win in general. 

What's arrogant is expecting an almost entirely second string side to go out and be better than one of our main group rivals. What happened earlier in the competition is largely irrelevant - obviously our best team was a match for anyone in the group and they showed that, but you can't lose almost your entire team and just expect to continue winning.

Jason Knight is scratching his hole on the bench this evening for the seniors - how does that benefit Irish football when he could have been a leader in the under 21 team? The likes of Byrne, Hourihane and Curtis are on the bench to cover midfield anyway, so if you're not going to start him, why take him away from the Under 21s?

Absolute madness.

Agreed fully,

You simply cannot expect the same level of cohesion in a team that hasn't been playing regularly together game in game out for a do or die game based on what clubs lads play for, it's lunacy to suggest it.

That's without factoring in how many of the teams top players were unavailable for various reasons.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:31pm

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I think it’s stating the obvious but that sending off killed it for us. Ten mins or so to go including extra time and I think we’d have won it ...Collins went in to try to save kayode getting sent off but lost the the plot a bit. Collins is very young so best to make these mistakes now . I thought he played well and some other positives as well. Wind was a disaster for us . I’m a bit gutted really but in time some good things to come from our underage teams in producing players for the senior set up which is the main goal 

Ahh yeah plenty talent there and the amount of lads moving up is great to see.
Collins himself f**ked up but he’s a real good prospect long term hel learn from that today and like you say initially was trying to nearly defuse rather then destruct. 

Just in that they put so much good work into that campaign and for us not to take advantage of it is frustrating. 

Not having a go at your post but this cliche 'he'll learn from today''.  Did he not know that gettign sent off from pure stupidity was perhaps not a good idea before the event when you need everything to go right for you with 10 mins to go chasing a win?

Ya I’m not condoning Collins at all. It was very poor and stupid and very costly for Ireland. Very poor really from a guy who has a fair bit of senior experience at Stoke in the last 18 months  

Edited by Liam Green - 15 Nov 2020 at 4:32pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:37pm
Collins frustration clearly got the better of him. He has enough experience to know better. 

He's one of our best prospects, not just as a defender but as a player. I would expect him to be in the seniors next year but this was a poor moment for him 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:51pm

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I think it’s stating the obvious but that sending off killed it for us. Ten mins or so to go including extra time and I think we’d have won it ...Collins went in to try to save kayode getting sent off but lost the the plot a bit. Collins is very young so best to make these mistakes now . I thought he played well and some other positives as well. Wind was a disaster for us . I’m a bit gutted really but in time some good things to come from our underage teams in producing players for the senior set up which is the main goal 

Ahh yeah plenty talent there and the amount of lads moving up is great to see.
Collins himself f**ked up but he’s a real good prospect long term hel learn from that today and like you say initially was trying to nearly defuse rather then destruct. 

Just in that they put so much good work into that campaign and for us not to take advantage of it is frustrating. 

Not having a go at your post but this cliche 'he'll learn from today''.  Did he not know that gettign sent off from pure stupidity was perhaps not a good idea before the event when you need everything to go right for you with 10 mins to go chasing a win?

Ahh yeah agreed it might sound a bit cliched apologies and if I was a teammate of his wise or not you’d be tempted to give him an earful.  I meant it as in clearly you’d hope he’d learn from it and not do it again. Any fella can just lose the head I know this first hand I did it once before as a 12 year old for my local underage team just a red mist and cracked a fella with a flurry of punches who said something to me late on in a game and it in the balance. I certainly learned from it and didnt do it in any game after annoyed or not. 

Now I don’t play anymore but if I was playing football for another 100 years I wouldn’t in a million years do it again honestly I’m such a quiet fella in general even my buddy still jokes to me about it I was so stunned you had that in you. 

Any fella can lose the head/suffer from the red mist regardless of if he’s 12 19 or 29 youd just hope it’s the last time he does it especially as like you say he cost his team dearly today it really should hurt him enough to learn the lesson.

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Nov 2020 at 4:53pm
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:21pm
Was Connell with the squad?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:49pm

Where is this idea coming from that these players were somehow more than good enough to win today, it's incredibly arrogant to be honest against an Iceland team that had a few senior internationals involved. If they were good enough to win they would have done, simple as that.

Realistically out of today's starting team how many will go on to win 10 plus senior caps? Certainly not the keeper and probably only Collins out of the back four. 

Coventry and Ronan are tidy footballers but I don't think they'll ever be senior regulars for us. The likes of Elbouzedi and Obafemi aren't good enough either. Scully? I don't see it.

There were probably 8 or 9 future regular senior players in the under 21 squad this time around. It was an unusually talented bunch. However by the time the most important game came around there was only one of those players in the starting team.

It was probably a combination of bad luck and bad management, but we absolutely blew this chance one way or another. If Knight. Molumby and O'Shea don't feature prominently against Wales serious questions will need to be asked here.

Where the idea that they weren’t good enough to grab the bull by the horns and win today. 

What’s arrogant about it?? Not underestimating Iceland who are clearly a decent side but at home against them look at our players where they are vs Icelands players and where they are at club level etc then it’s not an unreasonable argument that our lads on paper probably would shade it. There’s no set of results in the group to indicate we weren’t at least as competent if not overall a better side the Iceland especially if your taking Iceland’s away form isolated. Also at home too the onus is on you to go and win in general. 

What's arrogant is expecting an almost entirely second string side to go out and be better than one of our main group rivals. What happened earlier in the competition is largely irrelevant - obviously our best team was a match for anyone in the group and they showed that, but you can't lose almost your entire team and just expect to continue winning.

Jason Knight is scratching his hole on the bench this evening for the seniors - how does that benefit Irish football when he could have been a leader in the under 21 team? The likes of Byrne, Hourihane and Curtis are on the bench to cover midfield anyway, so if you're not going to start him, why take him away from the Under 21s?

Absolute madness.

Definitely 7 if not 8 of those starting today started against Italy last month. At least 6 if not 7 started against Sweden as well in the game before also. I don’t buy it that team out there today while not our strongest was inferior to an Iceland team who away from home haven’t been anywhere near as strong as they have at home.

The team wasnt entirely just thrown together especially at U19/21 level where young players if your doing it right are moving up that is a positive. 

To be fair the point about Knight sitting on the bench on his arse when he could have been playing against Iceland and we had options on the bench anyways is valid can’t argue with it. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Pulled out through injury.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Pulled out through injury.

Thanks, seems to be a theme with him
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:23pm
Parrott should be called up to the senior game on Wednesday now u21s chances are over..... and start the game
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:15pm
I know we are disappointed about the result yesterday but alot of the current squad are eligible for the next campaign. Players such as Bazunu, O'Connor, Collins, Coventry, Connolly, Idah could still play.

I know there was talk of NI and us hosting the tournament in 2023, if that was the case we could line up a pretty strong team for the three group games. 

Edited by Frabhoy - 16 Nov 2020 at 12:17pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:35pm
We are now out of the under-21s.  Even if Iceland get to play Armenia and lose and we finish runners up it is no longer enough to qualify.    
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:52pm
Can Iceland qualify?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:44am
Dead-Rubber match today but here's hoping we can end the competition with a flourish.
God knows, we could use a win at any level.

Thinking back, if we ignore the games against the two minnows (who everyone beat), we managed two wins, one draw and three losses against our other competition to qualify.
It's not great in hindsight and maybe we should temper expectations about our youth setup.

Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:00am
We let it slip badly, quality probably isn't there to replace the better players moving up to senior.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:25pm
some bright moments early in the campaign but hard to get past the feeling that we really blew a golden chance to at least get 2nd. very frustrating
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

some bright moments early in the campaign but hard to get past the feeling that we really blew a golden chance to at least get 2nd. very frustrating

Ya it’s frustrating. I think if we had that  full squad for the last few games we’d have qualified. Actually I think our full squad that are eligible until now are a match for most u21 teams. It’s just since 5/6 of our best players have had to move to the senior team it has diluted our quality a bit too much . I still think these best players from this campaign will turn out to be very decent players going forward 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:56pm
I think when you look at the team that would be available for the u21 it is really.looks very strong. 

Bazunu

Oconner oshea collins oconnor 

Knight Molumby Smallbone

Idah parrott connolly 

Disappointing we didn't qualify but you need to look at this with perspective 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 103>
  Share Topic