You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 103>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:38pm
Usual story not in the least bit surprised either
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1327979616422797313

Collins

Absolute scumbag.

There isn't much in that at all 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Collins

Absolute scumbag.

would love to know where he grew up! calling somebody a scumbag for thatLOL
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Riduliculous that in the biggest game in the history of our under 21 team we end up with only 2 of our strongest 11 in the starting team.

Kenny has a lot to answer for here to be honest, how much benefit is there really to having Kelleher, Travers, O'Shea, Molumby, Knight and Idah with the seniors instead of with the under 21s for this game. Plenty of senior players available that could have filled those squad positions against Wales.

Yeah how dare he get the 21's into a position where they had a very good chance of qualifying.

And how dare he promote players to the senior squad, especially when the senior squad is missing a load of players due to injury, Covid, false positives, personal reasons, etc.

Kenny out.

Yes, best chance ever to qualify for the Euro under 21s and having failed to qualify the seniors, he dismantles the under 21s ahead of their biggest ever game as well.

Because it's going to be fantastic for their development sitting at home or on the senior bench while the best under 21 players in Europe are playing at the finals next year.

I take it back, the man's a genius.

Previous managers of the Senior team were slated on here for not promoting youth. Can't blame Kenny if half his squad are injured, Covided or unavailable. We are already depending on a number of Championship lads approaching 30 who can't get a game at club level and we are pushing to stay in Pot 2 for WCQ draw. There was enough talent in that 21's squad to win at home to Iceland.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Collins

Absolute scumbag.

would love to know where he grew up! calling somebody a scumbag for thatLOL

In fairness, it looks like Collins was waiting for an opportunity to clock him. Not wise and not what you want from one of your better players in the last few minutes of a major qualifier 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:43pm

Iceland 4th seeds kick on and get 2nd in the group.

Fair dues to them.

I still think we played well enough to have won the game, just can't put the ball in the net.

Iceland were third seeds.

And you win by scoring goals, something we seem to have given up on at all levels so that we can play tippy tappy passes back and over across our own half of the field.

Exactly this. Results should be paramount. At half time, the eir sport team were talking about how well we were playing but ultimately we were one nil down. The game right now is about fast transitions of play than dom inatingpossesion. We had plenty of possesion but lacked a threat. Iceland were clinical. 

But look we could have won that game on another day tho, that mandriou ball in to grant and obafemis chance. We do need to calm expectations that these players are the future of our national team. Troy hopefully will develop into the striker we need but he needs time. 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Collins

Absolute scumbag.

Your moral compass fair fluctuates!

Another pointless comment from yourself, good man.

calling a young lad a scumbag for that incident seems a little excessive to me alrite 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:44pm
What's the deal with the Armenia games? 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:50pm
Regardless of players moving up to the seniors that roster of players was more then good enough to win today. 

Roy Keane gets a lot of flack off our own I even see some journalist crying like a baby on Twitter the other night as he was offended by Keane saying Maguire wanted the ball more then Duffy in the duel to the goal and it about as accurate a statement as you could wish to use to describe the situation 

Every bit of me was being optimistic in that at home to Iceland and Luxembourg if was ours to take the bull by the horns even allowing for the Italy game the hard work had been done in getting us in this position in an admittedly tough group. 

Like others are saying here though what happened is what another part of me was almost resigned to had the key to the door and never opened it so typically Irish any bit of expectation/standards we are too afraid to take that next step.  from the keeper on the first goal to the sending off to Parrott giving the ball away poor decision making in front of goal just lack of composure so dissapointing.  

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Nov 2020 at 2:51pm
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:02pm

Collins

Absolute scumbag.

for pushing the player in the back of the head? innocuous stuff, hardly worthy of "scumbag"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:05pm
Where is this idea coming from that these players were somehow more than good enough to win today, it's incredibly arrogant to be honest against an Iceland team that had a few senior internationals involved. If they were good enough to win they would have done, simple as that.

Realistically out of today's starting team how many will go on to win 10 plus senior caps? Certainly not the keeper and probably only Collins out of the back four. 

Coventry and Ronan are tidy footballers but I don't think they'll ever be senior regulars for us. The likes of Elbouzedi and Obafemi aren't good enough either. Scully? I don't see it.

There were probably 8 or 9 future regular senior players in the under 21 squad this time around. It was an unusually talented bunch. However by the time the most important game came around there was only one of those players in the starting team.

It was probably a combination of bad luck and bad management, but we absolutely blew this chance one way or another. If Knight. Molumby and O'Shea don't feature prominently against Wales serious questions will need to be asked here.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:10pm
Disappointing result again... its just not happening for irish football at the moment.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:22pm
Iceland had a pretty clear game plan, keep it tight, nick a goal, then keep it tighter. But they do have some technically very good players on the pitch, even if their emphasis wasn't on passing it around.

We weren't vastly superior, but were the better team throughout the game. But we make simple mistakes at times and get punished for them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:30pm

Where is this idea coming from that these players were somehow more than good enough to win today, it's incredibly arrogant to be honest against an Iceland team that had a few senior internationals involved. If they were good enough to win they would have done, simple as that.

Realistically out of today's starting team how many will go on to win 10 plus senior caps? Certainly not the keeper and probably only Collins out of the back four. 

Coventry and Ronan are tidy footballers but I don't think they'll ever be senior regulars for us. The likes of Elbouzedi and Obafemi aren't good enough either. Scully? I don't see it.

There were probably 8 or 9 future regular senior players in the under 21 squad this time around. It was an unusually talented bunch. However by the time the most important game came around there was only one of those players in the starting team.

It was probably a combination of bad luck and bad management, but we absolutely blew this chance one way or another. If Knight. Molumby and O'Shea don't feature prominently against Wales serious questions will need to be asked here.

Where the idea that they weren’t good enough to grab the bull by the horns and win today. 

What’s arrogant about it?? Not underestimating Iceland who are clearly a decent side but at home against them look at our players where they are vs Icelands players and where they are at club level etc then it’s not an unreasonable argument that our lads on paper probably would shade it. There’s no set of results in the group to indicate we weren’t at least as competent if not overall a better side the Iceland especially if your taking Iceland’s away form isolated. Also at home too the onus is on you to go and win in general. 

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:35pm
I think it’s stating the obvious but that sending off killed it for us. Ten mins or so to go including extra time and I think we’d have won it ...Collins went in to try to save kayode getting sent off but lost the the plot a bit. Collins is very young so best to make these mistakes now . I thought he played well and some other positives as well. Wind was a disaster for us . I’m a bit gutted really but in time some good things to come from our underage teams in producing players for the senior set up which is the main goal 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I think it’s stating the obvious but that sending off killed it for us. Ten mins or so to go including extra time and I think we’d have won it ...Collins went in to try to save kayode getting sent off but lost the the plot a bit. Collins is very young so best to make these mistakes now . I thought he played well and some other positives as well. Wind was a disaster for us . I’m a bit gutted really but in time some good things to come from our underage teams in producing players for the senior set up which is the main goal 

Ahh yeah plenty talent there and the amount of lads moving up is great to see.
Collins himself f**ked up but he’s a real good prospect long term hel learn from that today and like you say initially was trying to nearly defuse rather then destruct. 

Just in that they put so much good work into that campaign and for us not to take advantage of it is frustrating. 

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Nov 2020 at 3:42pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Ahh yeah plenty talent there and the amount of lads moving up is great to see.
Collins himself f**ked up but he’s a real good prospect long term hel learn from that today and like you say initially was trying to nearly defuse rather then destruct. 

Just in that they put so much good work into that campaign and for us not to take advantage of it is frustrating. 

Not having a go at your post but this cliche 'he'll learn from today''.  Did he not know that gettign sent off from pure stupidity was perhaps not a good idea before the event when you need everything to go right for you with 10 mins to go chasing a win?

Some footballers are absolutely thick
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Where the idea that they weren’t good enough to grab the bull by the horns and win today. 

What’s arrogant about it?? Not underestimating Iceland who are clearly a decent side but at home against them look at our players where they are vs Icelands players and where they are at club level etc then it’s not an unreasonable argument that our lads on paper probably would shade it. There’s no set of results in the group to indicate we weren’t at least as competent if not overall a better side the Iceland especially if your taking Iceland’s away form isolated. Also at home too the onus is on you to go and win in general. 

What's arrogant is expecting an almost entirely second string side to go out and be better than one of our main group rivals. What happened earlier in the competition is largely irrelevant - obviously our best team was a match for anyone in the group and they showed that, but you can't lose almost your entire team and just expect to continue winning.

Jason Knight is scratching his hole on the bench this evening for the seniors - how does that benefit Irish football when he could have been a leader in the under 21 team? The likes of Byrne, Hourihane and Curtis are on the bench to cover midfield anyway, so if you're not going to start him, why take him away from the Under 21s?

Absolute madness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 103>
  Share Topic