You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 103>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 6:04pm
Josh Barrett a surprise for me.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 6:40pm
Would I be exaggerating if I said you could field 2 really good u21 teams with that squad?
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:06pm
Players that drop out from the Toulon squad:

Conor Kearns, Canice Carroll, Tyreke Wilson, Jamie Lennon, Connor Ronan, Josh Barrett, Stephen Mallon, Simon Power & Aaron Drinan.

Ronan the only one injured afaik.

Trevor Clarke & Neil Farrugia miss out through injury.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

An excellent squad, one of the most potentially exciting Ive seen

Myself and a mate chatting about this earlier. Can't remember the last time the squad had this much potential in it. And there's still a few decent players who could feel hard done by or are injured.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:29pm
Can Kenny now get results out of this so called golden generation? Will we top the group? The thing about it is that if the senior men's team don't qualify or get a play off place Kenny won't even be in charge of the u21's towards the end of the campaign. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

\

strong squad, missing barrett who scored 2 for reading last night. also means no troy/obafemi/collins in senior squad

Only 3 English born players is it ? 
Some change from Noel Kings reign.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:49pm
Also worth noting that only 11 of the 22 are from the 1998/1999 age group meaning that the other half of the squad is still eligible for the next (2023) qualification campaign.Shocked
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:39pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by daveyc daveyc wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OfHuZVGVTc&t=9s 
Is there more ****s now or are they just more visible? I think it's a bit of both.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 11:19pm
Hardly a golden age compared to the likes of Belgium, or even our youth years under Kerr. But given what we have had to contend with the last 15-20 years, it does feel like at least some of the stars are starting to align.

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Aug 2019 at 11:20pm
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by daveyc daveyc wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OfHuZVGVTc&t=9s 
Is there more ****s now or are they just more visible? I think it's a bit of both.

mostly more visible i say 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Hardly a golden age compared to the likes of Belgium, or even our youth years under Kerr. But given what we have had to contend with the last 15-20 years, it does feel like at least some of the stars are starting to align.

I think there's a potential golden irish generation, the last for ireland being the Duff/Keane generation some 20 odd years ago.

It's still very early for all these players but I haven't seen a bunch like this for while. From goalkeepers, defenders and a few good forwards 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 1:18am
He (Joe Hodge) actually fractured his ankle but yeah will be a couple of months out at least.

Edited by Nialler - 29 Aug 2019 at 4:33pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 1:56am
"Golden Generation" - that's going a little bit far.  We have some good prospects and maybe two or three that look like they will have a successful PL career.  The entire squad has what, 5, PL appearances to their name.  In fairness, an interesting aspect of the squad is many of the better players are still U19 eligible, so time is definitely on their side. 

However, a quick comparison to other similar-sized countries shows we're not flying ahead in terms of talent - Wales have U21 lads on big-money moves playing senior football for Man U, Bournemouth, RB Leipzig and Schalke, as well as lads with first team appearances for Liverpool.  Granted Wales isn't really a country and most of those players are English, but the point stands. 

Even Scotland have lads getting first team action with the likes of Celtic and Rangers.  

That's not addressing other "smaller nations" like Belgium or Portugal who are light years ahead, as recently demonstrated against us at U16 and U19 level respectively.  

Sweden, a comparable nation that we are playing shortly, have lads with a plenty of first team appearances in Serie A for clubs such as Bologna and Udinese, for Russian heavy-hitters, Rostov, and lads previously playing Bundesliga for Dortmund, not to mention the bigger Swedish clubs like AIK Stockholm.

We're all looking for the next big player, but are prone to be a little carried away.  

As a reminder, look at the first post on the general U21 team thread, with what appeared at the time to be a talented squad full of young players playing at prestigious clubs.  

How many of them have "made it", at least in terms of being a PL regular? 

One.

His name?  

Jack Grealish.  Ouch

We may want to curb our enthusiasm slightly. 

Having said that, Mick would do well to bring Connolly in for the Swiss game.  If we need a late goal, he's a livewire player who they'll know nothing about and could make a real difference if he came off the bench.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 29 Aug 2019 at 2:13am
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 12:39pm
No one is taking about comparing squads with other nations. As others have said, it's an exciting generation considering the lack of breakthroughs over the last 20 odd years.

And as for Scotland, it's probably more of a sign of the ever-weakening state of the SPL more than anything.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 12:59pm
Golden generation .

I think about 4 of those players in that squad have be played 1st team football - you could count the total amount of caps on 1 hand.

At least the LOI players are playing weekly with their clubs.

There is a lot of talented players there with potential.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 8:01pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:07pm
Anyone know is the game v Armenia U21 on TV?  Cheers.

€5 for an adult ticket - if you're Dublin, get down to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 103>
  Share Topic