You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 103>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:20pm
21 points might be enough to secure one of the top 5 runners up places.

Draw away to Italy, draw at home to Iceland, and beat Luxembourg.

Would need a draw in the Italy v Iceland game too.
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:25pm
I think we can win our last two games and get 22 points. 
AKA pedantic kunt
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:28pm
Iceland very tough though and beat us already (in bad conditions I know) and we are missing players who have gone to the seniors.

Just trying to see a path to the finals in the event of a draw in that game. 

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Whatever about 21 22 would be pretty close to a certainty to put us in the top 5 runners up. Or even one win against Italy or Iceland as the Luxembourg game with the permutations may well be actually irrelevant (some groups have 5 teams so the result against the bottom placed teams in the 6 team groups don’t count 

It’s an all merciful position to be in and although some are upset by Iceland being bang back in it I’m not as really regardless what Iceland do even if they beat Italy at home once we beat Iceland at home and Luxembourg away (surely be to god) then we will finish ahead of them end of.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:43pm

Update Luxembourg actually beat Armenia today so they are level on points with Armenia they may not finish bottom yet and we may have to beat Luxembourg. I was thinking Armenia would beat Luxembourg as Armenia looked a decent enough side. 😂

They are playing Iceland at home in their last game and they could easily nick a result against Iceland they managed to nearly do it against us.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Update Luxembourg actually beat Armenia today so they are level on points with Armenia they may not finish bottom yet and we may have to beat Luxembourg. I was thinking Armenia would beat Luxembourg as Armenia looked a decent enough side. 😂

They are playing Iceland at home in their last game and they could easily nick a result against Iceland they managed to nearly do it against us.

We'll have to beat Luxembourg to stay ahead of both Iceland and Italy and secure second place.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:06pm
Just need 4 groups to not be able to catch us in the table for best runners up.

And there are 4. One of them is a 5 team group so that's easy to work out, the others need to have the bottom team removed from the equation.

Group 9: Most that the second placed team can finish on is 19 points.

Group 6: Most that the second placed team can finish on is 17 points.

Group 4: Most that the second placed team can finish on is 19 points.

Group 3: Most that the second placed team can finish on is 15 points.

21 points will be enough for Ireland. 

20 points may not be enough for us to finish second in our own group. 21 will be enough to stay ahead of one of Iceland and Italy.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Kenny said previously that he would love to see Ireland qualify for the Olympics and I think we would get that if we got to the semis of the U21 Euros. I could be wrong though. 

Would that not be an all island team for the Olympics?? 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:15pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

We'll have to beat Luxembourg to stay ahead of both Iceland and Italy and secure second place.

If we beat Iceland and drew against Italy and Iceland drew with Italy the Luxembourg result would have been pretty much irrelevant if Armenia beat them today due to the permutations. For me Iceland is the one for us that doesn’t change Iceland at home is winnable Sweden and Italy ran Iceland over. That wind tunnel away pitch that ourselves and Sweden stumbled on is undoubtedly a factor there. 

I would still be quietly confident in our ability to beat Iceland and if we can’t and we don’t get there then we only have ourselves to blame. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Reillers88 Reillers88 wrote:

Kenny said previously that he would love to see Ireland qualify for the Olympics and I think we would get that if we got to the semis of the U21 Euros. I could be wrong though. 

Nope. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Nope. 

Why not?

The Irish Olympic team represents the entire island.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Nope. 

Why not?

The Irish Olympic team represents the entire island.

Why would they be picking players from the Northern Ireland team which had nothing to do with qualfication

Athletes from the North can also compete for Great Britain. 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Sep 2020 at 11:24pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:48am

And there are 4. One of them is a 5 team group so that's easy to work out, the others need to have the bottom team removed from the equation.

20 points may not be enough for us to finish second in our own group. 21 will be enough to stay ahead of one of Iceland and Italy.

This is not correct.  Group 9 - Germany most likely will take us out if they win all their games.  Indeed Belgium & Germany are probably favourites in all their remaining games.

Our best hope I think is Group 8 as Romania must entertain Denmark and travel to the Ukraine.  They could easily drop points.  

We may just miss out on qualification even if we beat Iceland and Luxembourg.  

Luxembourg's win yesterday could be bad news.  Definitely Poland beating Russia was bad although England's win in Austria was a huge help.

The good news is a score draw in Italy sets us up to win the group.   

If we lose in Italy or draw 0-0 then a win over Iceland is crucial.    
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:17am
Iceland are a real threat in this group now.

Their game v Italy is huge for us and I'd fancy em to nick that with Italy wobbling and that home venue being so one-sided.

Our home game v Iceland is the big one of our three as anything but a win there will likely see us end below them in the group as their other games are v the two bottom sides.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 11:45am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

This is not correct.  Group 9 - Germany most likely will take us out if they win all their games.  Indeed Belgium & Germany are probably favourites in all their remaining games.

Our best hope I think is Group 8 as Romania must entertain Denmark and travel to the Ukraine.  They could easily drop points.  

We may just miss out on qualification even if we beat Iceland and Luxembourg.  

Luxembourg's win yesterday could be bad news.  Definitely Poland beating Russia was bad although England's win in Austria was a huge help.

The good news is a score draw in Italy sets us up to win the group.   

If we lose in Italy or draw 0-0 then a win over Iceland is crucial.    

Indeed Germany are in a five team group, and won't have any points taken off them at the end, unlike the other groups. Yep Gary that group looks well set to finish ahead of us in the runners up table.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 11:10am
Any word on when we'll see the squad for this?
Should be a very strong squad and I feel we can go there with hope.

musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:18pm
I think Kenny's Kids tweeted that it will be on Friday.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:40am
Squad announcement today...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 103>
  Share Topic