You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 103>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:40pm
\

strong squad, missing barrett who scored 2 for reading last night. also means no troy/obafemi/collins in senior squad
Sponsored Links

McCarthyy21 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCarthyy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:41pm

Goalkeepers: Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Gavin Bazunu (Manchester City).

Defenders: Danny McNamara (Newport County, on loan from Millwall), Lee O’Connor (Manchester United), Dara O’Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Conor Masterson (QPR), Darragh Leahy (Bohemians), Nathan Collins (Stoke City), Liam Scales (UCD AFC).

Midfielders: Jayson Molumby (Millwall, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), Jason Knight (Derby County), Conor Coventry (West Ham United), Jake Doyle-Hayes (Cheltenham Town, on loan from Aston Villa), Jack Taylor (Barnet), Danny Mandroiu (Bohemians), Gavin Kilkenny (AFC Bournemouth), Zack Elbouzedi (Waterford).

Forwards: Adam Idah (Norwich City), Jonathan Afolabi (Celtic), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur).

Strong enough squad, can't say I ever remember hearing about Danny McNamara before though, we have some serious options upfront at this age group now.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:45pm
Looks like Obafemi and Parrott won't be with the seniors then. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Looks like Obafemi and Parrott won't be with the seniors then. 

I think they are going to train with the senior squad and then drop down to play with the u21's.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:54pm
Good squad - generally unsurprising as very similar to the Toulon squad. 

Only question mark would be Josh Barrett's omission - played well when he came on in Toulon and obviously in good form now and one of the few playing the odd bit of senior football. 

Simon Power also an omission, though imo, appeared a little light-weight in Toulon - may change as he physically develops. 

Good to see Afolabi get the promotion from U19 after ripping it up in the Euros.

Luca Connell not included - perhaps surprising given his senior call-up in June. 

Looking further afield, would like to see Belfast-born Bobby Burns from Hearts, currently registered to NI being considered.  Johansson presumably not considered pending the eligibility issue around him.

Finally, would not be surprised at all if Aaron Connolly gets called into Mick's squad, even at this late remove.  He's a livewire, in excellent form and provides something different to what we already have.  Given his performances in Toulon, last seasons' awards and his start to this season, I'd argue he should be there on merit at this point. 

Any other obvious omissions? 

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 28 Aug 2019 at 4:05pm
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by McCarthyy21 McCarthyy21 wrote:

Forwards: Adam Idah (Norwich City), Jonathan Afolabi (Celtic), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur)

That's a really exciting selection of forwards - especially when you consider how badly we've struggled for decent striking options in the senior team over the past few years.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by McCarthyy21 McCarthyy21 wrote:

Forwards: Adam Idah (Norwich City), Jonathan Afolabi (Celtic), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur)

That's a really exciting selection of forwards - especially when you consider how badly we've struggled for decent striking options in the senior team over the past few years.
How do we think we will play? 

You would imagine Idah and Connolly will start at CF and from the left, respectively. But that would leave each of the other three playing out of position, and all having a pretty good claim for a starting role.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

How do we think we will play? 

You would imagine Idah and Connolly will start at CF and from the left, respectively. But that would leave each of the other three playing out of position, and all having a pretty good claim for a starting role.

No idea! Not sure who you leave out from that list really. You would imagine Parrott and Connolly are guaranteed starters and then it's probably a case of going with one of Idah/Afolabi through the middle. Maybe Parrott goes into that No. 10 role due to Ronan's absence? So Connolly on the left with Parrott behind Idah? Harsh on Obafemi and Afolabi but a nice problem to have!
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Good squad - generally unsurprising as very similar to the Toulon squad. 

Only question mark would be Josh Barrett's omission - played well when he came on in Toulon and obviously in good form now and one of the few playing the odd bit of senior football. 

Simon Power also an omission, though imo, appeared a little light-weight in Toulon - may change as he physically develops. 

Good to see Afolabi get the promotion from U19 after ripping it up in the Euros.

Luca Connell not included - perhaps surprising given his senior call-up in June. 

Looking further afield, would like to see Belfast-born Bobby Burns from Hearts, currently registered to NI being considered.  Johansson presumably not considered pending the eligibility issue around him.

Finally, would not be surprised at all if Aaron Connolly gets called into Mick's squad, even at this late remove.  He's a livewire, in excellent form and provides something different to what we already have.  Given his performances in Toulon, last seasons' awards and his start to this season, I'd argue he should be there on merit at this point. 

Any other obvious omissions? 
Luca connoll

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:36pm
That striking selection is absolutely fantastic. 21s team looks serious.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:39pm
               1.Kelleher
2.LOC  5.O'Shea 4.Collins 3.Leahy

6.Knight  8.Molumby
            11. Mandroiu

7.Afolabi  9.Parrott 11.Connolly

Thats a seriously good starting 11, Afolabi I think could play anywhere in the top 3 . Lads who missed out such as McAuley and Connell show the strenght in depth. Exciting times.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

1.Kelleher
2.LOC  5.O'Shea 4.Collins 3.Leahy

6.Knight  8.Molumby
            11. Mandroiu

7.Afolabi  9.Parrott 11.Connolly

Thats a seriously good starting 11, Afolabi I think could play anywhere in the top 3 . Lads who missed out such as McAuley and Connell show the strenght in depth. Exciting times.

Very exciting. Given how Kenny has talked about the importance of a rotating midfield with players who can play multiple roles, I wonder if he thinks the same about the front three. Those three up top could play in every position across the front. Would be quite the headache to defend against.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:09pm
The other possibly absentee of note may be Joe Hodge. 

Yes, I know he's barely 16 and slight of stature, but was our player of the tournament in the U17 Euros and one of our best players in the U19s Euros.  In the absences of Connor Ronan - a big loss - he's one of our best ball-players coming through.  

I imagine Kenny thought the physicality of U21 was probably a leap too far - and no rush with him either, obviously.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:17pm

Yes, I know he's barely 16 and slight of stature, but was our player of the tournament in the U17 Euros and one of our best players in the U19s Euros.  In the absences of Connor Ronan - a big loss - he's one of our best ball-players coming through.  

I imagine Kenny thought the physicality of U21 was probably a leap too far - and no rush with him either, obviously.
Ronan has payed for the u21s already. Both are injured regardless
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:23pm
Yes Connor Ronan has a rib injury he suffered while playing for DAC. Didn't hear that Hodge was injured.

Other omission is Travers who I believe is still eligible.  Presumably will stay with the seniors so.

Other "omission" of sorts - Armstrong Okoflex, currently reg'd with England, who one hopes has been approached, given we are frequently lead to believe he's close to some senior appearances at Celtic. 

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 28 Aug 2019 at 5:25pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:30pm
An excellent squad, one of the most potentially exciting Ive seen

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:46pm

Hodge has a pretty serious knee injury and will be out for some time unfortunately

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 28 Aug 2019 at 5:46pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm
Very sorry to hear that.  He's been class for us.  Hope he comes back as good as before, as Molumby did. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 103>
  Share Topic