You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 103>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I think Parrot is an out and out centre forward/striker if ever there was one. Should play alongside Idah.
'Sensational' is a gross exaggeration of Ronan's season.......he's played in the Slovakian league and League 1 and done alright in both.

Sorry, should add...agree on Troy but if he gets game-time soon for Millwall and looks half decent, its the seniors for him for sure.
Be interesting to compare himself and Idah next season at the same level...here's hoping they both shoot the lights out!

Good point. I think Parrot and Idah playing in the championship is going to a massive benefit for Ireland in the games coming up  . Will make a huge difference both these lads getting games . Hopefully their fighting it out for top scorer at the end of the season 
Sponsored Links

mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 6:54pm
some season ahead for young Irish talent, have never been more excited for an English season to start in my lifetime lol
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 12:48am
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

some season ahead for young Irish talent, have never been more excited for an English season to start in my lifetime lol

I’m the same if we can get to these Euros (tough ask I know) then I genuinely wouldn’t be more excited for a tournament in my life. The combination of the real good core senior players our solid defence James McCarthy back etc supplemented with the raft of young lads with another year under their belt could give us a right good mix. The young attackers/midfielders in particular if a couple of Parrott Idah Obafemi Connolly Smallbone Knight etc could shoot the lights out they will add real what I call raw excitement/X factor to a squad that really it’s the only thing it doesn’t have.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 3:32pm
Ireland havent qualified for the world cup for 20 years (if we qualify for the next one) that's 4 straight world cup tournaments. 

You can't argue that we were simply not good enough to qualify, that can be attributed to the opposition we faced in qualifying, the managerial approach and the players at our disposal.

We never found replacements for Roy and Robbie Keane, Duff, Quinn etc.

We've had good player that could do a job, as long as that job is not getting to a world cup.

This young crop of players is the most exciting bunch of prospects I've seen in that 20 year period. There is definitely more to be hopeful for at pretty much all underage levels. 

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 4:00pm
Agreed. I think we're looking at the 2024 Euros before we are likely to be truly competitive though even if those youngsters do fulfil their potential. It took a few years for Bale's generation to evolve in to a successful side for Wales for instance.
World Cup qualification is still a long shot but 2024 should be ideal as the numerous players born in the early nineties in the current squad who are the backbone of the team ought to still be around and the current Under-21 group should have the experience by then too.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:44pm
looks like the first u21 match with Jim Crawford in charge is cancelled. It’s a friendly against Slovenia. That’s a bit of a blow to him with crucial qualifies coming up
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

looks like the first u21 match with Jim Crawford in charge is cancelled. It’s a friendly against Slovenia. That’s a bit of a blow to him with crucial qualifies coming up

Where you seeing that?
Bad news indeed if true.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 2:02pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 2:34pm
Checking the fixtures...upcoming next we have:
Sept 4: Iceland v Sweden
Sept 8: Sweden v Italy

Two important games for the group.
A draw followed by a Sweden win would be gorgeous Tongue
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Checking the fixtures...upcoming next we have:
Sept 4: Iceland v Sweden
Sept 8: Sweden v Italy

Two important games for the group.
A draw followed by a Sweden win would be gorgeous Tongue

I’m sure we don’t play Italy for a few rounds and the teams below us will largely catch up on their games in hand. Italy have to go to Iceland and play on that wind tunnel artificial pitch and they must play Sweden away before we play them in our next game. Not a million to one Italy will drop points and any dropped points at all means we win in Italy and we are long odds on to qualify and odds on to top the group. What a carrot that would be.
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 7:21pm
Big opportunity for Ryan Cassidy to break into the squad with Idah, Parrott and Connolly promoted to the seniors.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:10pm
Yep, Obafemi, U'd think, will be a starter.
Afolabi should be there or thereabouts.
There's opportunities for sure and Cassidy and Scully should be looking to get involved.
Big prize at the end with a first ever finals so a massive carrot.

Any other names for that front line I am missing?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
Talk about incentive, it must be brilliant for players in the under age setup seeing the likes of Idah, Connolly, Molumby & Parrott in the senior squad.

Knowing that Kenny will base your promotion to the seniors on talent and not age. 

Assuming everything goes to plan in the playoffs, a good season for somebody like smallbone and he could be going to the euros next summer. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:53pm
maybe Ali Reghba could come into the u 21s too. 

Edited by Liam Green - 24 Aug 2020 at 8:54pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:03pm
Danny Grant defo worth a place in the squad..playing great for Bohs
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

maybe Ali Reghba could come into the u 21s too. 

Yep, Tyreik Wright another one who may make the jump.

Further back I'd be looking to bring up lads well below the age but who are showing promise, like Joe Hodge and Festy Ebosele.

I can't see Smallbone getting many, if any, U21 games if he starts well for So'ton...a good start should see him on the Oct or Nov senior squad.

DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:55pm
Possible squad for October:

Kelleher, Bazunu

O’Shea, Masterson, Collins, McCarthy

L O’Connor, T O’Connor, McNamara

Coventry, Knight, Smallbone, Taylor, Hodge

Ronan, Elbouzedi, Grant, Kilkenny

Obafemi, Afolabi, Scully, Cassidy

Other options:

Scales, O’Hora, O’Keefe, McEntee, Ledwidge, Leahy, Mandroiu, Connell, T Clarke, Power, Farrugia, Barrett, Drinan, Keena, M O’Connor, Reghba.

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

Possible squad for October:

Kelleher, Bazunu

O’Shea, Masterson, Collins, McCarthy

L O’Connor, T O’Connor, McNamara

Coventry, Knight, Smallbone, Taylor, Hodge

Ronan, Elbouzedi, Grant, Kilkenny

Obafemi, Afolabi, Scully, Cassidy

Other options:

Scales, O’Hora, O’Keefe, McEntee, Ledwidge, Leahy, Mandroiu, Connell, T Clarke, Power, Farrugia, Barrett, Drinan, Keena, M O’Connor, Reghba.

If three or four of those graduate as Molumby, Parrott and Idah have into the senior side it'll be time for some major finals action surely. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 103>
  Share Topic