You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:49am
Little unfair that. Even England would struggle to select all their players from the top 6 clubs in the English Premier league.

The epl is probably the highest standard of football in the world, I know Spain has Madrid and Barcelona but the strength in depth is not as strong as the epl.

I think connolly, knight, smallbone, molumby, collins, oshea and more besides will establish themselves as regular premier league players.

On one point I do agree is will we get the world class player, the Gareth Bale, Harry Kane types.... 

The last world class player we had was Roy Keane... maybe we're due one soon. 
Sponsored Links

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Little unfair that. Even England would struggle to select all their players from the top 6 clubs in the English Premier league.

The epl is probably the highest standard of football in the world, I know Spain has Madrid and Barcelona but the strength in depth is not as strong as the epl.

I think connolly, knight, smallbone, molumby, collins, oshea and more besides will establish themselves as regular premier league players.

On one point I do agree is will we get the world class player, the Gareth Bale, Harry Kane types.... 

My point is more on what parts of the pitch are we producing genuine top talent. Keepers, back 4 and defensive midfielders we will always be fairly ok.

The midfielders coming through are more Matt Holland/Carsley/Kinsella level.

It's the top end of the field that we are struggling. Is there a Brady/Sheedy or a Robbie/Stapleton/Aldo coming through? I don't see it.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:08am
No I do get avfcs point he’s right to address it. Kelleher Bazunu and Collins are the 3 I’d have down as most likely to play for what you’d call Top 6 or even Leicester or Everton teams challenging the Top 6 monopoly in the near future but that could change too. Who would say 3 years ago Doherty would be playing for a Top 6 club. 

When’s the last time Wales produced a player like Bale? Same as us with Roy Keane players like that you don’t produce once every 30 years they are rare. Elite level players. Even England only produce players like that every now and then like Rooney let’s say. I wouldn’t regard Kane as that good yet. 

What we do need is a Pukki or Mitrovic type goalscorer. Both players have proven themselves to be bottom half PL clubs at best players but goalscoring is still 2nd to none. Healy for the North another lad. Glenn Murray a good English example of the sort of player if Ireland had I think would have scored plenty. 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Jan 2021 at 11:09am
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

No I do get avfcs point he’s right to address it. Kelleher Bazunu and Collins are the 3 I’d have down as most likely to play for what you’d call Top 6 or even Leicester or Everton teams challenging the Top 6 monopoly in the near future but that could change too. Who would say 3 years ago Doherty would be playing for a Top 6 club. 

When’s the last time Wales produced a player like Bale? Same as us with Roy Keane players like that you don’t produce once every 30 years they are rare. Elite level players. Even England only produce players like that every now and then like Rooney let’s say. I wouldn’t regard Kane as that good yet. 

What we do need is a Pukki or Mitrovic type goalscorer. Both players have proven themselves to be bottom half PL clubs at best players but goalscoring is still 2nd to none. Healy for the North another lad. Glenn Murray a good English example of the sort of player if Ireland had I think would have scored plenty. 

yes.

Oddly, Wales seem to produce amazing amounts of world class talent down through the years, Giggs, Rush and Big Nev were all WORLD CLASS. Hughes, Saundres and Speed were top notch also.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think the 2 keepers Kelleher and Bazunu are the most likely of this crop to become world class players with Collins next. There potential to become top keepers is enormous. 

Roy Keanes and Gareth Bales are very hard to find.

Ferguson and Zefi get an awful lot of hype too. I don’t recall the hype being as strong with Parrott even would anyone be able to confirm that? 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:20am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

yes.

Oddly, Wales seem to produce amazing amounts of world class talent down through the years, Giggs, Rush and Big Nev were all WORLD CLASS. Hughes, Saundres and Speed were top notch also.

There’s top notch and there’s elite elite. I’m a Man Utd fan but I wouldn’t regard Giggs as elite as in top 5 in his position. Bale at his best was Top 5 in a position that included Ronaldo Messi Neymar. That’s elite. Keane the same Top 5 midfielders on planet football this is in the Zidane Rivaldo Figo Vieraetc era. 

World class fair enough. You could argue Duff was close to it at his best. Many will tell you Irwin,McGrath were too. Both countries have been blessed with some fabulous players when you think about it. 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Jan 2021 at 11:22am
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:24pm
What players are now overage for.the under 21's?
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:08pm

Outside of France, very few if any country has more than 1 or 2 elite players now.  Portugal only have ronaldo.  Spain dont have any. Germany have none.  Italy certainly don't. Belgium have de bruyne.  England have kane. Brazil with neymar and Argentina with messi. Also Poland have lewondovski.  England have alot of potential future elite players if things go right. Trent sancho grealish etc
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

What players are now overage for the under 21's?

Go back a page for who is still eligible, if that helps.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm

John Giles is one I'd say.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

John Giles is one I'd say.

The FAI put on their news story the players still available. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:19pm
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u21-qualifying-fixtures-confirmed

No competitive match until September.
Hoping for a friendly in the March window and also entry into the Toulon Tournament, which would be fantastic.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 4:09pm
Here's the squad for the training camp and Wales friendly next week:

Odubeko is a big plus and is now back in the fold after a lone while away for injures etc.

Excited to see Flynn, Richards, Noss, Watson etc.

Great attacking options in Wright, Kayode, aforementioned Odubeko and then Ferry and Kilkenny too.
No Connell tho.

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 4:15pm
Good squad. Surprised no Jamie Bowden but otherwise happy with that.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 4:54pm
No John Patrick Finn is a bit Brutal. looks like he will stay in Spain?
Jimbhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:28pm
Why has Joe Hodge not been called up? He should be fast tracked asap to at least under 21's if not the 1st team. I'd be happy to completely write off the World cup campaign if we added the likes of Hodge to our squad for the next 15 years. No point in waiting till he plays for City as he'll be off to England if this happens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:30pm
Travers 
Bazunu
O'Shea 
Knight
Molumby
Connolly
Parrott 

Smallbone (If not injured)
Collins (if not injured)

All in the senior squad but eligible for the u21.(or would be if not injured)

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Jimbhoy Jimbhoy wrote:

Why has Joe Hodge not been called up? He should be fast tracked asap to at least under 21's if not the 1st team. I'd be happy to completely write off the World cup campaign if we added the likes of Hodge to our squad for the next 15 years. No point in waiting till he plays for City as he'll be off to England if this happens

Injured while training with Derry I understand Jimbhoy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103>
  Share Topic